HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. RutherfordX

RutherfordX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It appears that SATA III is supported, as said in the official manual as well as one review from Notebookcheck.

lukechemistry likes this.
  2. goto35

goto35 Newbie

Reputations:
    hpomen x 17 gtx1080

i installed 2- 2tb nvme drives.

put raid in bios (only one setting)

then installed windows

then used the intel raid software to create raid 0. then reinstalled windows 10 on the raid. my speeds are exact the same 3200 (was the same with one drive)

also having a issue when i restart it just goes blank. doesnr actually start. i have to hold down power and hard off the turn on.

this is for restart every time.

what am i doing wrong? what setting do i need to change.

on raid it created a 4tb just fine but speeds did not increase at all

3. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty much convinced to grab one of the HP Omen 17's w/ 2080.

In fact, the only obvious downside to me is that sharp front edge.

4. RutherfordX

RutherfordX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The i9 + RTX 2080 combo with 1TB HDD, 512GB SSD, 32GB RAM and 144Hz screen is on sale for $2,380 right now. According to HP, you also get the Omen Mindframe headset for free. If that's not a bargain, I don't know what is. The code BTSSTACK10 is needed to get this price.

I still have my heart set on the Alienware m17 R2 but I'm holding off until I see reviews and until they release the Lunar Light version.

5. Kory Wynne

Kory Wynne Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I purchased an Omen 15-dc0096nr. I read about issues with the Omens being underpowered with OEM power adapters. The previous owner didn't have the power adapter so I ordered the Omen 330w Power Adapter. The power adapters are rated at the same 19.5v voltage but the 330w obviously has more amps available.. The Omen power adapter also has the 7.4mm plug while the laptop has the 4.5mm plug. Has anyone tried ordering the 7.4mm to 4.5mm adapter plug and used the higher wattage power adapter? Am I going to run into problems with the higher wattage power adapter on this laptop? Thank for any help and input!

6. garfiola

garfiola Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    guys I have HP omen 17 with 1070 nvidia, 16 gb ram....and I cant run WOlfenstein Youngblood smoothly......the game starts to stutter , the fps drops down....
    it is horrible....I uninstalled the game.....I ran it in low settings etc, tried everything.....
    is it my laptop or do I need to buy new laptop with new 2070 nvidia GPU?

7. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you monitored your thermals at all? It could be that they are throttling down.

8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just got an Omen 15 9th gen i7 and 2070 and the wifi keeps cutting out on the 5g connection. It connects to 2.4g and can usually hold that but the speeds are way slower. Any idea on what to do? It has the intel 9560 wifi card.

It started cutting out on both connections, anyone think it could be a hardware issue?

Model: OMEN by HP 15-dc1047nr

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  9. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What happens when you put an alienware area 51m rtx 2080 vbios into a omen 17 2019 with liquid metal? Well you get first place on the leader-board of course, no msi ge75 will beat this beast now (tutorial coming REAL soon) :D:D:D:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Papusan , @Falkentyne , @Mr. Fox , @Vasudev , @Ultra Male , @Arrrrbol

This BGA laptop has potential, I'll be trying that 200w vbios soon ;)

10. deniale

deniale Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My story with a new 15-dh0003nc, i7-9750H, RTX 2070:

A month ago i updated BIOS.
    After update and reboot i entered my power on password.
    Message from computer: Incorrect password.
    I tried many times, also with shift, caps, numpad, but did not succeed.

I wrote a post about that on official HP support forum and they locked my thread, because i was trying to "bypass security" which is against the forum rules.
    When i reported the forum admin who did this, I was contacted via PM, that a HP person will contact me and help me.
    Really, i was contacted via another PM by a user with name and signature "I'm HP employee" [no real name or anything] who asked a ton of information from me, incl. my full name, address, phone number, etc. and he told me, local HP support will contact me and solve the issue.

Yes, nobody contacted me till now.

I brought the laptop next day to local HP authorized service center and after several weeks they called me, that the part to replace (motherboard) is not available and won't be available soon and they are working on it.
    We have max 30 days period here for warranty repairs. I live in EU.

NB:
    I did not forget the password
    My ProBook G3 had no issue with updating the BIOS while it was password protected.
    And my ThinkPad W520 had absolutely no issue with that too (also with power on password set).
    I found one other user on HP forum with similar Omen and same issue - they locked his thread as well without any meaningful update.

TLDR:
    Do not set power-on password on your Omen.