HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. themanwithsauce

themanwithsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! It was on sale on newegg but just a heads up that woot.com seems to be offering a bunch of the omen lineup for cheap. Here's a similar one for a similar price. I think it changes based on stock but this isn't the first time that 1100$ gets you a 17" GTX1070 equipped laptop - https://computers.woot.com/offers/h...70-gaming-laptop-17?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_2_19

2. ukheather

ukheather Newbie

Reputations:
    Was thinking of getting an Omen 17 850H Nvidia 1060 laptop but it seems that these Omen are prone to overheating the CPU it seems?

3. Shreys7

Shreys7 Newbie

Reputations:
    8750h chips run hot.. I don't blame HP for that.. however I heard recent update has fixed the over heating issues.

HP omen owners would be if you can help us.

4. Gk3nm7urp

Gk3nm7urp Newbie

Reputations:
    So I have a question? Is the 2018 omen 17 worth it. Its got that 144hz screen. And its on sale for 1199.99. And its got a 1060. But I've seen some reviews where some people have gotten them and they do work so they have to get a replacement. And I just want to know if its a common problem or just a one off. I know it has some thermal problems. Just wondering if its worth it.

5. themanwithsauce

themanwithsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any laptop you get that isn't extravagently priced can be expected to have a "weak point" where a greater than average number of people have an issue with something. This is less that every laptop is delivered busted and more like a given part fails more often than one would expect. And it's certainly valid to think about. But I'd ask this question - is this laptop the best at what you want to do, for the price you want to spend? If so, then I'd say pull the trigger. Especially if you're buying new. Keep in mind - comparable laptops in that price range will have their own "higher than average" failure rates on a given part too. So you're probably not avoiding the problem, it just happens to a different part.

And a final word - screens are easy to replace on brands like HP and Dell, by and large. So if 2 years down the line yours fails, it's not the end of the world. Inconvenient, yes, but cheaper and easier than other potential failures.

prosetheus likes this.
  6. phobos1911

phobos1911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have just bought an HP Omen 15 CE081NS. It comes with only 8GB of RAM. I want to replace it for a 16GB stick which I have already from another laptop. The problem is that the memory stick I have is 2666MHz and according to HP this laptop supports only until 2400MHz (I guess it's limited by the CPU, according to Intel the i7-7700HQ supports only until 2400MHz). Will I be able to use this memory stick? I don't mind if the motherboard downclocks the memory to 2400MHz, but will the system be stable?

7. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It should work without any problems. Actually you should have 2 memory sockets, if I was you, I would leave 8GB in place and put 16GB on top. That way you have 24 GB total and 16 GB in dual channel, therefore faster.

8. phobos1911

phobos1911 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The laptop just arrived and to my surprise, the 8GB stick is actually 2666MHz, not 2400MHz like in the specs. :)
    I have just added the 16GB stick. The BIOS detects 24GB of RAM and it's working at 2666MHz.

9. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey. AMD recently put out their annual driver update. On the Omen 17's with the rx 580, anyone running the new drivers and able to maintain the option to detect and enable the freesync option in the display for those with freesync capable displays (which i think all the rx 580 HP Omen 17s have)

EDIT:

Installed the latest adrenaline drivers, december edition. This was an update from the jun2018 drivers on HP's website as any subsequent drivers would make the freesync option disappear.
    Happy to report that everything is working perfect so far.

HP Omen 17 amd rx 580 edition.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  10. chemicalbuz

chemicalbuz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm going to replace the thermal paste on my omen 17 mid-2017 version (120Hz) cause I have serious overheating issues.
    I'd like to get a liquid metal thermal paste for better Temps, but it is not suitable for aluminum heat-sinks due to corrosion. Is this laptop heat-sink in copper or aluminum? Thanks in advance