HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. dkris2020

dkris2020 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    UPDATE: Well all I had to do was create a Recovery USB Drive and once I installed the new SSD the Recovery USB did a clean install of Windows on the new SSD. I didn't have anything downloaded since The SSD came in 2 days after the Omen 17t. So I guess I'm all set :D

2. themanwithsauce

themanwithsauce Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm back! Been gone a while but I recently picked up an Omen 17 refurb unit so I'm back on the high end PC gaming train. I got a steal on one off newegg - 1050$ for a 17" with the GTX 1070.

Might not do much too it though. Seems pretty solid right now and once I finish setting up driers and installing programs I hope the little hiccups get worked out. But if not, I guess I'm back on the site to fix them :)

3. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    wow $1050 for a 1070 very very nice !!! good luck with it

4. Dingo83

Dingo83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all

Got a question about memory that I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on via google. So, I've been looking into doubling my Omen's memory. I currently have 16GB 2x8 kingston at 2666. I was wondering if I bought some corsair or micron 32gb kits they would run at 2400 or 2666. I know our bios doesn't have the xmp profile but if its already running at 2666 will new sticks run at their max speed or dial down to 2400?

Thanks all

5. Spikey699

Spikey699 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey folks, thanks for all the info. Looking to purchase one of the i7 8750h Omen 15's, and possibly a 17 if the 15 is good :)
    Would love to hear updated reports from users about thermals, noise, etc of the 2018 models.

Question- should I get the 1060 or 1070 Max Q version? In Australia HP sells two versions, identical specs except for the graphics card. Price is $285 different on sale, about 200 US.

Since the 1060 is a non Max Q, I'm wondering if it is desktop level and thus roughly on par with a Max Q 1070, thus making the 1060 a better buy (similar performance vs price difference).

Alternatively, whether the 1060 is a mobile version (although not Max Q), and thus power consumption is much higher for the 1070, giving a tradeoff between higher performance on the 1070 and higher battery life on the 1060 (TDP 115 for the Max Q 1070 vs 80 for 1060 mobile).

6. carol_sama

carol_sama Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys!
    I ve been thinking to buy the omen 15 for some gaming but for professional graphic design as well. What can you tell me about the screen and its color accuracy/gamut?
    Thanks!

7. domoMK4

domoMK4 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Received my Omen 17t on Monday, didn't get to play around with it too much until today.
    Specs: 8750H, 16GB ram, 1TB hdd (going to order an SSD if I feel like this laptop can last a few years), W10 Pro, BT 5.0, GTX1070, 144hz FHD

Had it sleeping with the lid closed and when I opened it today, after about an hour of LIGHT use, was getting some locking up accompanied by black screen and artifacting which would then stop after a few seconds and take me back to what I was doing but with the brightness set at maximum. That happened a few times until it finally locked up completely and black screened. Had to hold the power button to shut it down. Hasn't happened again since.
    Temps are typical I guess. Undervolted -110.4mV and right now GPU is at 45-47C and CPU is 53-58C. Ambient temp is about 25.5C. CPU loves to hit about 90C while playing Fortnite. Going to keep tinkering with the voltage and see what happens.

edit: 30 minutes into a game of Fortnite had GPU/69C and CPU/85C with an undervolt of -129.9mV

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. domoMK4

Reputations:
    Artifact issue happened about 2 minutes ago and just now while typing this - temps at 47C and 55C. Sounds like returning this laptop is inevitable.

9. domoMK4

Reputations:
    Happened again a few minutes ago during a game of Fortnite. The whole system black screened, artifacted (or maybe not even artifacts but weird looking nonsense on the screen) and then locked up and required a hard shutdown.

10. Shreys7

Shreys7 Newbie

Reputations:
    That's sucks.. hope you will get it replaced.