HP OMEN 15 and 17 owners lounge

Discussion in 'HP' started by tweake628, Aug 23, 2017.

1. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is how I lowered temperature (from most effective to least effective):

(1) cpu undervolt
    (2) gpu undervolt
    (3) change thermal paste (I prefer Arctic mx-4 because longevity and it's cheap and easy/safe)

If your laptop has large intake air vent holes, then consider a laptop cooler.
    My Pavilion laptop has tiny air intake vent holes, and sadly, there was no temperature change with a laptop cooler.
    Be sure not to block/restrict the air intake vents and exhaust vents.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Heretofore. I have a issue where my laptop will limit clock speeds to base of 2.8Ghz and not turbo boost. When I open up HWINFO it shows power limiting PL2 as YES and PL2 ring as YES. This happens every 10 days or so and not all the time. Its intermittent mostly so I can't imagine it to be hardware fault, what do you think? I have the latest BIOS flashed and I undervolted CPU with Throttlestop. PL2 shows in red/yellow under limits in Throttlestop as well. Any ideas or is it just a Motherboard bad design or bug and that all the Motherboards of my part no. Will all be effected? Thanks

3. l2apsux

l2apsux Newbie

Reputations:
    intel cpu after 4th generation (haswell) will throttle when in power saving mode or whenever it s not plugged in. this incluses kaby lake

4. tweake628

tweake628 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    maybe use a old car trick and slowly cuy a deep flat head in to the stripped screw .gl

5. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There’s a lot of ways to skin a cat.
    Easiest would be to grab a sharp flat head screwdriver and tap a new groove with the help of a hammer.

But that may be too fragile for that. Try first to clean the area with alcohol and place a flat elastic band on the screw. Then use a philips over it. The rubber helps it grab.

Last resort, get a thin dremel disk and sand a new groove into the screw head. Careful not to go thru it.
    And try to cover everything else with paper and tape to make sure no metal shards get anywhere near the motherboard.