HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Has anyone encountered problems with playback of music?
    In spotify, every now and then I get some really noticeable static interference with the music.
    Havent noticed the problem when watching movies or while streaming videos etc, just music in spotify.

2. anindrew

anindrew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was really hoping HP would have had some good coupons that would work on the Omen for Memorial Day weekend. When I called to inquire, the best they could offer for the configuration I wanted was $2000, which is a bit more than I wish to pay. Hopefully soon a coupon code will come out for it. I'm still debating mostly between the Omen, Asus UX501, and the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 064. It's very tough to choose when each option has its pros/cons. Plus, no laptop has universally positive/negative reviews; it's always a mix.

3. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You know which one we all prefer here, if I see a coupon anytime I'll try to remember to quote this post so you'll see it.

anindrew likes this.
  4. anindrew

anindrew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I very much appreciate that!

5. mrmaestrom

mrmaestrom Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks heaps for the suggestion. Turns out the NVIDIA control panel didn't know about touch-enabled Civ 5, aka CivilizationV_Tablet.exe, so the iGPU was being used. I manually added it and, sure enough, 100+ FPS at 1080p on High settings. :newpalm:

Still didn't fix the scaling issue though. I would rather play at 900p because I want to leverage the touch-screen and scaled-up 900p has a more practical UI. Still, I'll take what I can get. And I can always get the scaling sorted if I'm willing to muck around with the desktop res.

6. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    More than HP issues, this scaling issue is because of intel drivers ( it is existing in other OEM models which offer 2k, 4K etc screens). One can find multiple forums where this is listed

7. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For those who consider to upgrade their Omens specs with larger SSD etc, here is some how to videos from HP themself on how to
    remove and replace different components. May be usefull for someone :)
    http://support.hp.com/us-en/search?q=hp omen&filter=
    I wonder how difficult it will be to get original parts as a private customer though...if they were to be needed

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. Ishkash

Ishkash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just wondering...has anyone tried putting a touchscreen-compatible screen cover on their Omen? As we all know, the display is quite a fingerprint magnet. Wanted to see if anyone had had any success avoiding prints with one of these covers.

9. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm curious about this too, as I think the screen is way to glossy. Would be nice to have a filter that mattifies the screen a bit.
    Even when in a relatively dark room, the tiniest lightsource maks the screen a mirror....If someone have tried any filters, please
    tell us about fit, quality, make and whee to buy. :)

10. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought mine eBay. It's quite a matte cover and does reduce a bit of reflections, but take some brightness away in the process as well. Also covers the bezel

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk