HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ishkash

Ishkash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh, I am sure there are PLANS to. The question is...how soon? I swear...if HP comes out with an Omen with a 970 before this year is up...I will be MAD!

They'll have to re-engineer the Omen to accommodate for the significantly more powerful 970 (to maintain aesthetic profile, thermals, etc.). So it might take some time. But who knows...maybe the design is done and they are just holding off on releasing it, to squeeze the most out of the market. That wouldn't surprise me. But considering I just spent over $2K USD to purchase this laptop (with the 960)...I'd be stung if they came out with a much more powerful version in the coming few months.

Actually, I expect that the next iteration will have the 965. About 15% performance increase from the 960.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  2. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @amazer @Ishkash I meant the 960M. Do any of you know any working links that have the model with 960M available. It is not on the HP site. Thanks.

3. Ishkash

Reputations:
  4. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Ishkash, thank you for the link. It looks like the RAM is soldered on. I am looking for 16 GB of RAM, but I do not see how I can justify $200 for the upgrade. Tough decision to make.

5. bdizzle329

bdizzle329 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried replacing/upgrading the SSD? I'm trying to educate myself on the M.2 (NGFF) connector and SATA vs. PCIe protocol.

Would any SSD that connects through the M.2 interface work in the Omen? Does it have to be a specific physical size (22x80 mm, etc.)? What kind of SSD should I buy to take full advantage (or as much as possible) of the M.2 connection?

-Thanks-

6. Ishkash

Reputations:
    Lol, I hear you. It was a tough decision for me as well. I use this laptop for gaming but more importantly audio production, which really requires all the computing power you can get. I figure it will be my workhorse for at least two years, so that justified the investment. But it's not cheap :-(

Then again, I think of those poor fools getting MBPs...so much more expensive for the same, or less amount of power!

:D

It's just going to suck when, maybe 5-6 months down the line, i.e. holiday season this year, HP will release a newer version with a 965 or 970, which will be quite a bump.

But such is life as a tech consumer.

7. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think we'll see a new GPU in the Omen until Nvidia releases a 1060M, or whatever they decide to call it.

A 970M would have been nice though.

8. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    PCIe is faster so I would go with that. The Omen should support both types though since there are 128GB SATA and 256/512GB PCIe options straight from the factory.

I'm not sure about the size. If you go to my profile you should see a link to an Omen teardown guide which may list the size of the factory installed SSD.

9. Ishkash

Reputations:
    What makes you say that? These companies will do anything to draw their brand out and keep making money and attracting new customers.

10. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    It would have to be redesigned to accommodate a larger chip and more heat. Plus I've never seen a company "upgrade" to a better chip of the same architecture unless it was an option to begin with.

Examples:
    Razer Blade: 870M -> 970M
    Clevo W230ST/S/D : 765M -> 860M -> 960M

Maybe they'll redesign it for a 1070M, but I highly doubt we'll ever see a 970M.

If the Omen was ever going to have a 970M, it'd be out right now. It wouldn't make sense to release it 6 months from now because everyone will already have machines with 970Ms or better and they wouldn't sell anywhere near as many.

Last edited: May 22, 2015