HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sigh, this chip has so much potential if only it was able to be OCed further :(. I have it at +135/+650 and it runs like a champ. Highest temps I have seen is 76C. I need to learn how to vbios unlock lol

Th4tRedhe4d likes this.
  2. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great, I'll look into it!
    Ah, thank you both for your suggestions.

3. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    960m as well as 4720hq are iterative improvements over 860m & 4710hq. As mentioned. Earlier, no one would be able to tell difference in performance in between these 2 versions. Better, get good discount on the earlier version Omen.

4. SNAATH

SNAATH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Due to almost everyone's input on the 960M being a rather not worthwhile upgrade to the 860M, for the increased price and everything, so I decided not to go for it..
    So.... Just pulled the trigger on a HP refurbished maxxed out model of the 860M Omen (512GB SSD, 16GB RAM), which saved me a chunk (~ £400) from buying a new one.. This would be my first time buying a refurb anything, hope this is not a bad decision (?).. Done a lot of research about official HP refurbished models and a lot say they're not half bad due to it being legitimately re-tested and have bugs ironed out to ensure proper working condition, and the money saved etc etc.. Wish me luck guys.. !

5. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Can't help, but this things kinda attracts me. Even though I don't like that missing ethernet port, the glossy touchscreen, the soldered RAM, the sharp edges, the useless buttons on the left.

Btw... how bad are the edges and corners? They look so sharp in the pictures. I can almost feel them cutting in my stomach when using on the couch.

This is clearly a one-time-product. You get what you buy and nothing else. Because nothing is upgradeable. Ever. As long as you possess this device. Take it or leave it.
    But it has benefits. I believe the materials and robustness will stay good for a looong time. Maybe a decade if you take care. And it will still perform well after 5 years (except new games). Also it's lightweight and looks good. It could make one happy after several years. An interesting thought. An interesting laptop.

6. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Edges/corners haven't ever bothered me. They're definitely not as sharp as some of the edges on my old MacBook Pro.

7. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    if you use ethernet port, it might be a hassle but I think the past 4 years I have used a hard connection like 3 times. Glossy screen actually doesn't effect me at all besides if you are sitting outside in direct sunlight. the buttons are pretty much useless (you can assign macros to them, I just put in F9/home/pgup/pgdn/end but I usually dont use them the touchscreen makes everything more convinient. The edges aren't all that sharp. It's just you need a cooling pad underneath or some space atleast for the fans otherwise they will speed up if blocked.

My only two main concerns are not being able to OC it more (ugh) and stupid ass Omen Control. If only that POS worked this machine would be a king. I have to install Omen Control to make it work and then it just stops working after two tries. Then, after the first standby/restart, the alternate function keys stop working (meaning I have to press function to get the media keys)

8. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    Check your BIOS for your alternate keys issue. I noticed the default option in mine was set to FN + key for an alternate function instead of just hitting the key for an alternate function.

PaKii94 likes this.
  9. Ishkash

Ishkash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My first Omen was overheating, so I returned it. The second one arrived in the mail today. Inside...I found a "Bang & Olufsen" sticker. The laptop itself still has the Beats Audio though.

Hmmm...this makes me wonder if it would have been better to order the Omen just a few weeks later.

In fact, I just spoke with an HP technician who informed me that within 1-2 week's time, all Omens will be shipping with the upgraded features. So I may very well end up returning this and re-purchasing from the HP Store.

I realize that the performance enhancements may be minimal, but on principle I find it ridiculous to buy a laptop, only to have an upgraded version shipping out just a week after I receive it...

10. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    If you do, let us know if you hear any difference in the sound systems.