HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. who is AEK

who is AEK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It really does depend on the game but usually load times are longer on a HDD than a SSD, but other than that it doesn't affect frames or anything like that. Blame the 860m in that case. As I said the only reason I have BF3 on the SSD is I want the game to load quickly so I can spawn in quickly, and boy does that game load quickly. So unless you want your games to load quickly, just put them on an external HDD like I have and call it day.

2. anindrew

anindrew Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The updated HP Omen (with 960m) and the Asus UX501 are my current top contenders for a laptop purchase in the next couple months. If HP has a coupon code that works when I'm ready to buy, then that will be the one I get. Right now, SPRING30 and BONUS25 do not work for the Omen (not sure if they work for other laptops). Does anyone know when HP puts out new coupon codes?

3. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It looks like they excluded the Omen from both of those coupons.

I bet they'll have a Memorial Day coupon that'll work for the Omen. (I got mine using a *President's Day coupon.)

Edit: *Corrected Holiday

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  4. who is AEK

who is AEK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Best bet it just to Google coupons. That's how I found the one I used to buy mine. I'm pretty sure a 960m isn't that much better (15% from what I can find) than an 860m, so hopefully you're not paying a nice premium for it.

5. Ishkash

Ishkash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You won't pay a premium for it - it will be the same price that we paid, I think - Omen will 960m will just be the new "norm".

6. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

dude you dont have to turn it down that low for 60 FPS. I have everything high besides filtering off and i get minimum of 50 but its right at 59 (thats where im locked at)

amazer, raundown and Th4tRedhe4d like this.
  7. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been using my Omen 15t for about 8 months now and just got word they've updated it with the i7-4720hq and GTX 960m. I'm currently deciding whether or not trading it in would be a good idea or not. Some slight performance improvements would be appreciated.

8. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to the manual, a replacement part will be required when removing the bottom rubber feet. I've seen disassembly videos in regards to this and it seems almost impossible to shove the rubber back into the thin crevice, not to mention needing to apply adhesive which makes it all the more complicated.

9. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That'd be a waste of money. Download EVGA Precision X and overclock your 860M. If you do that, you can match/beat the 960M.

The 960M is just a slightly overclocked 860M.

The 4720HQ is just a 100MHz bump over the 4710HQ. You'd never be able to tell the difference in real world usage. Benchmarks are probably about the same too.

10. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you can get it for the same price , then i say go for it. Otherwise, the slight performance gains is not worth it