HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think people were suprised by how well the 860m was handling higher settings at 1080p for GTAV. Rockstar really put out a quality game. I remember GTA 4 was horribly optimized. As for settings, I turned down some of the AA and turned up some of the rest from the "optimal" geforce settings and I get solid FPS. Very rarely (I have to be crazily moving around on top of a hill looking down at dense city streets for it to lag enough to notice. I do have Vsync on.

----

on another note, my Omen control for the lights stopped working along with the shortcut keys. I read earlier that other people had this issue, anyone find a fix? I will go back and read the thread when I get the time.

2. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had updated my omen control to the latest version as put on HP website, but it is of no help. Omen control has its own mind..

3. SNAATH

SNAATH Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To those with problems with Omen control, how exactly does it not work? Can't control and choose the lighting intensity / colour of the keyboard, or the keyboard lighting stopped working altogether? Hope there's a cure out there

On another note.. LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND *****

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stor...omen---15t-quad-touch-select-laptop-m3g78av-1

That's right.. A GTX 960M HP Omen.... Also has Bang & Olufsen audios according to the spec sheet.. So that makes at least 2 things new..

What do you guys think? Is it good or bad news, or neither cause how I find alot of people say how the 960M is merely an overclocked 860M.. Thoughts......

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The only thing I would be interested in is the new audio... I wouldn't even consider the 960M an upgrade over the 860M.

5. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    For me, all the lighting settings work just fine.
    The problems are with the hotkeys for toggling nousepad and touchscreen on/off and switchting through profiles with hotkeys.

There is also the problem when the computer gos to sleep. wen woken up, none of the key functions work when already set to fn-lock in omen control (light of screen, sound level, etc.)
    When this happens i have to manually go in to omen control, switch to another profile, to get the keys to work.

For me the audio is also the only interesting thing about the new one.

6. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To add to my previous post, I personally think the Omen is almost perfect as is.

-Upgraded audio is a nice addition (if it is actually better, I'd like to see some comparisons/reviews)

Future improvements I'd like to see:
    -(Least Important) Better GPU (965M or 970M), I think the cooling could handle it, I've seriously never seen a laptop stay as cool as the Omen does.
    -(Important) Brighter keyboard back lighting.
    -(Most Important) More bug fixes for Omen control! And that really shouldn't be hard to do. If Omen control functioned 100% perfectly, then I would say the laptop is perfect overall.

7. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As long as they move on from Beats Audio it will definetely be better. I find the speakers as a dissapointment. HP bragged about how good they were, but they just arent.
    Way to metally and flat sound. But I rarely use the speakers on a laptop, as I prefer headset or earplugs anyways.

An upgrade to B&O would be nice tho :)

8. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any uses of famous third party company to make the sound system is just going to be marketing gimmick. Same goes for B&O, it will just be a software enhancement rather than physical because companies can never give away too much of their secret recipes and patents.

Unless it's company like Creative since they do sound cards

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

9. who is AEK

who is AEK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually like Beats Audio. I'm not a huge fan of the speakers, but since I have DJ headphones and like bass-heavy music anyway, I see no problem with it.

I created an account just to point out that I finally updated to the F.09 bios and my frame-rate dips in GTA V have been very minimal since, along with stuttering. I used to go in the mid-30's while driving and now I never go below 55 (all settings low, I care about performance vs graphics). I basically get 60fps locked on low settings. Fan management is much better, too. Still kinda wish this trakpad would register all my presses but I noticed that it gets bad whenever you don't clean it XD

10. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also think that there is no difference in between new B&O or earlier Beats sound. It is just a marketing/ branding exercise by HP. By the way, i also feel that the sound from speakers is a little shallow and need to pull up the volume comparatively to get better output. Anyways, i also generally game with my headphones on, so no issues.

raundown likes this.