HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Ishkash

Ishkash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Omen Pro comes with the Quadro 1100M, which is a LESS powerful GPU than our Omen. And it runs on Windows 7!

So apart from a slightly faster processor and hard drives...why would anybody who is not a graphics/game designer pay EXTRA money to get this?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They wouldn't. It's specifically aimed toward professionals.

And it doesn't just have to be graphics/game design, some engineers may like it for CAD, etc.

3. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The stats for GTA V are really IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for sharing the info. Omen really has taken this next gen game to a different level. Would be great of you can share some in game screenshots too.

4. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    wow your results have me very excited. What preset would you compare it to? high?

60 FPS on full hd was a lot more than what I was expecting. I wonder how impressive the card would be with a hard OC/OV. There is more than enough thermal room with the temps you are posting

5. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    Probably high. It looked amazing in both 1080p (Omen) and 720p (TV).

I'll do some OC tests as soon as I get some more time, I love how cool this laptop runs.

PaKii94 likes this.
  6. Ishkash

Reputations:
    Question: I'm getting temperatures in the mid 90s in all four cores while gaming, and the area above the keyboard gets super hot to the touch. This seems like it might be bad. Are those numbers a problem?

7. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    Possibly. The highest I've ever seen on mine was 91 on one core while playing BF4 in high performance mode.

Disable turbo boost in the Windows power plan settings by setting maximum processor state to 99% and then let us know what your max temps are after gaming (mine are low 70s/high 60s).

8. Ishkash

Reputations:
    Still getting an average of 92-93 across the cores, with turbo boost disabled in the manner you described. Playing Far Cry 3 on NVIDIA optimized settings. Uh-oh, not good!

This is a bummer because it's my second Omen (first one had speaker distortion and had to be returned). Guess I might have to return another?

9. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before you do that what's your room temperature like? We often share our temperature experience without talking about where we are, room temperature and the seasons we are in.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

10. Ishkash

Reputations:
    Thanks for your responses. I live in Southern California, and room temps are generally cool all year around. Right now, probably around 70.

I don't think environmental heat is playing a factor here.

The laptop cools down pretty quickly after quitting the game, but I've tested with another game and yes, gaming is bringing the temperature of the cores into the low-mid 90s. Core #2 maxed out just now at 96. And that's after just 10 minutes.

On another note, TZS0 and TZS1 (I actually don't know what those are referring to) are measuring at 89 and 71, respectively, after this last session.

Blech. Why must there always be these kinds of problems? :'(

*Rant over*