HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Questions:
    - Is Omen a good choice for these requirements?

Yes it is. It's a fantastic computer that gets the job done very quickly as well. Fantastic build quality although the macro Keys (the configurable Keys on the left side) makes the while keyboard pushed to the right. But you'll get used to that within a day. It's annoying if you use different computers in one day since you'll have to change the way you place your hands on the keyboard, but it's a small thing really m
    - Is there small power supply that I can get with me while travelling and not gaming? The default one looks a bit big. Since I will not game I guess I do not need very powerful power supply.
    120W is not a big power supply. A 90 Watt would probably suffice, but generally you shouldn't use a power supply that doesn't have enough amperes to power it. So it's a no.
    - Is Omen chassis strong and durable for daily commuting?
    Yeah the aluminium build is very good, but don't drop the laptop.
    - Can I attach 2 external monitors to the laptop?
    There's only one HDMI output but the computer has enough horsepower to run two monitor if you can find a one-to-two HDMI adaptor.
    - Is there a docking station for this laptop? I guess not :)
    Nope.
    - Is it noisy when not gaming?
    That depends on who you are. I'd say no. Some may disagree. It's audible but it's a silent noise.
    - Does it have 2 GPU one from Intel and another from NVidia?
    Yes! The Intel is built into the CPU.
    - If I disable NVidia GPU will it prolong the battery life? Anyone tried that?
    the computer automatically switches between Intel and nvidia based on your usage. Only when gaming or connecting external monitors the NVIDIA is activated.
    I can get about 4 hours of battery life with keyboard lights off and minimum brightness. About 3h 20 min with good brightness and keyboard lights on.
    - Is this model fine: http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/52616/fdqcx/HP-OMEN-15-5000no-15-6-kannettava-Win-8-1-musta

That's my model.

2. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's also a Display port

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

3. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @almalino,
    I am looking for a laptop to use as a SW development machine so 16 GB, 256 SSD and fats i7 CPU is a must. Omen looks like a good option for me :)

- Is Omen a good choice for these requirements?
    I would say so. I don't personally do SW Dev so I couldn't say but the specs however may prove to be enough for it.
    - Is there small power supply?
    Not entirely sure about this but I would look into setting the power settings to power saver that then will allow for you to save battery life. I keep my keyboard lights off and put the brightness 4 clicks up from the lowest setting that's optimal for my daily usage which is browsing the internet, typing up word docs, and gaming. I would consider your commute scenario on a train, especially in the day, to force you to turn the brightness up a bit due to its glossy screen. The screen becomes like a mirror if you're on a dark or black screen if you're coding in inverted colors, say, that may pose a problem. You could look into a non-reflective screen protector for it. But otherwise the battery should last you at least 3 hours. Mine lasts about 4 or so on HP recommended power settings, running Excel and a few Chrome tabs and Spotify.
    - Is Omen chassis strong and durable for daily commuting?
    The body is very durable and solid. It is a very thin and light laptop as well which may prove to be a good laptop choice for you even if you don't game. I move mine from home to work daily with no issues. Be sure to buy a good bag for it, but carrying around the laptop should prove to be a pleasant experience.
    - Can I attach 2 external monitors to the laptop?
    There are 4 USB 3.0 ports, one HDMI and one Display-Port port in the back of the laptop. You could find ways to connect external monitors to it. I've connected my laptop wirelessly through a local wireless network as well as using the HDMI port with no issues.
    - Is it noisy when not gaming?
    I have no problems with the fan noise at all. I game a lot and the fan noise is mediocre for gaming. During normal use, it is also mediocre. The fans are huge and keep your laptop very cool which is great.
    - Does it have 2 GPU one from Intel and another from NVidia?
    The Omen has an integrated Intel GPU and a dedicated NVidia GPU as well.
    - If I disable NVidia GPU will it prolong the battery life?
    It may. You can go into the graphics settings and force the system to only use the integrated Intel graphics if you wanted.

I am currently extremely satisfied with this laptop as the build quality is good and solid. The specs are pretty good. Running my daily tasks with no issues, it runs my games pretty well too. I have awesomely low temps when running a resource intensive game or app like Adobe PS or Illustrator.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. T2050

T2050 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have been extremely disappointed by HP most recent years just gone by, notebook releases. This is the first time I have been truly excited that is finally something worth getting and keeping. My biggest problem I have is the hardware maybe still current, but it is so close to the turn over of newer 5th generation or 6th generation Intel processors, it really doesn't make for a smart buy for the given high price tag. If this had of been released at least 6 months ago, then I would have jumped onto it, but now its February 2015 and it is just coming into market, I am really hesitant to spend this much on an aged Haswell platform with 1 year old 860M graphics. In about 2-3 months there is a good change we will see the Omen with at least 5th generation Broadwell processor and updated to 960M, even if the GPU is a rebrand. I wouldn't get hopes up high for anything more than a 860M/960M rebrand, it just wont work in the platform size and is not HP style to go bigger. Brings to a bigger question, if anyone waits it out just a couple of month for Intel 5th gen, then even at that stage it is way to close to picking it up with Intel 6th gen with maybe DDR4 and possible node shrink on the GPU, in which I think then the thin and light will really start to show that it can manage the hot hardware.

5. dexgo

dexgo Freedom Fighter

Reputations:
    6 months... lol, your not going to be that behind ... I mean... you get the newest thing... 6 months next again.. you will be behind anyways...

think of it like I do.

I paid over 4k 5 years ago in 2010. for the bleeding edge Clevo x7200. it had i7 930 desktop processor and dual SLI 480m GTX video cards.. among other things.

This unit I got the 16gb OMEN with 4gb video 860m and i7 4710 quad core and m2 256gb SSD.

It is equal to the i7 930 in terms of speed and benchmarks. that 5 years ago.

and it is equal or a small amount greater than the SLI 480m GTX video cards.

that's again 5 years ago.

it's of course Way better in terms of speed and tech for the SSD.

which is great.. but the ONLY thing I would have changed was an option for a traditional 2.5" notebook drive.

That is All.

My Point being... 6 months... in tech.. yes newer quality stuff.

but in Practical Terms my friend Practical Terms....

Real Time... Real-World... Usability and Speed/Benchmarks.. and what it can actually do.

It's equal to.. if not a tiny smidge better than my Huge 15lb Monster Bleeding Edge Clevo from 2010 January.

That works for me.. Because my Clevo from 10 years ago... In terms of Real World Bench'es and what it could / can do.. is pretty powerful for work.. encoding/ compiling... gaming.. transcoding etc... get my point??

this tiny unit... meats and beats the big monster...

but from 5 years ago.. i'm sure the tech is like so many generations behind.. it's a joke.. to people in the know..

but in terms of bechmarks.. and real world work...

it's only equal to it.. or maybe a smidge better.

Now.. that's still awesome! because my Clevo had a desktop chipset and was killer for it's time.. and still compared to most peoples desktop computers / laptops.. unless of course they have the bleeding edge newer clevo or a killer new tech bleeding edge desktop.. then it's another thing..

but like I said prev... in terms of 5 year old tech.. anyways.. it's just as good.. but in a tiny inny little package.

that's cool in my book.

so if you miss 6 months in tech>???

it's not going to matter in terms of what it can actually accomplish...

pi .24 seconds better?

or a few more marks in 3dmark?

it still runs Dragon Age on my unit at 30-40 fps on all high 1920x1080.

and all other games at 1920x1080 on ultra.

so that's all that matters.

it's like a 300zx twin turbo from 1989.

370z from lets say 2010

370? way newer tech..

yes

faster off the line? probably.

but are they both super fast off the line regardless?

and do they both give 99% of cars on the road on a every day basis a run for all their money?

yes

are they going to wipe the butts off 99% of the vehicles they run into on a daily basis?

totally!

unless the one time you will run into a vehicle that doesn't have twin turbo's under 5 seconds in 0-100km / 60mph.

not many.

the 1989 car still kicks butt.

the top of the line 370 z

and it's predecessor the 350 z

is pretty much the same power if less so than the 1989 version.

so there you go.

the omen kicks butt.

as does a lot of specialized laptops other than itself.

but how often do you run into them?

Need them?

and the omen can take everything you throw at it.

peace out

-dex

6. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The above comments form "dexgo" sum it up nicely.. We will always have outdated tech in 6 months, given the rate at which new hardware is being launched in market. We just have to think about the optimal set with current hardware & price.... All said and done, I think omen will still be relevant for another 2 years or so , given its hardware. For more future proof stuff from gaming angle, you can probably look at good laptops with gtx 9xxm series.

7. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think T2050 meant he won't spend a premium price on a laptop that he thinks it will be replaced by newer specs soon.

Personally and for my use Omen's specs is gonna last me for several years, provided what I am doing now is more or less the same in the next few years. I have decided not to spend more than 2.5k on a laptop. No matter how powerful they are they will always be hold back by their portability. I would spend the rest of my money on a desktop when I decide to go back into gaming more.

8. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It's the same for me. The omen is awesome, and if the quality is as good as it seems, it wil last me for a long long time in terms of the hardware.
    For gaming in the future I find it much better to be using a desktop with better keyboard (not chiclet) and bigger screen anyways, so I would rather upgrade my allready decent desktop, both for performance and for comfort. :)
    That being said, for todays games, the Omen performes pretty damn good! :)

9. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like Windows Update just forced me to update to the new BIOS. I wasn't intending to do that but alas I am now on the new BIOS. Hoping it doesn't introduce any new issues for me. A question though for those who've updated, did it take you a couple minutes on a blank screen? It's been idle in a black screen for about 3 minutes so far. I hope it didn't brick my computer!!

Update: After waiting about 5 minutes, I hit the power button. Then turned the laptop back on. Everything is back to normal. Close to having a heart attack haha One of many reasons why I wanted to withhold updating the BIOS is the possibility of a deep-seated mobo error. Phew!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  10. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Have updated to all bios updates as I got to
    Know on this forum. Did not get any issues on any of the bios for laptop not waking up from sleep or otherwise. Mine is 5000ne version with 256gb ssd. Anyways, on HP page it said that new bios is for improved keyboard response. I could not find anything different in keyboard response after installing it..