HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Thats weird...My contact in the store I got my Omen from got in touch with HP here in Scandinavia. They said that there were definately something wrong with my device, and swapped mine with a new one without question.
    Mine reached a max temperature of 94 degrees celsius.

When it comes to the lach of wattage of the AC adapter, I'm a bit sceptical. With the new Omen i have no difference in performance or temperatures when carging or fully charged.
    On full load in BF4 on high settings, the max temperature of the GPU is 80ish celsius.
    There is better performance when plugged in than on battery power only tho, but I got explained that this is normal, because that all of the components in the machine gets a optimal supply of power or something.

I got this message yesterday, twice. First when the Omen was plugged in and charging, the second time when it wasnt even plugged in and on battery power only...weird

2. dexgo

dexgo Freedom Fighter

Reputations:
    Thanks Auduno,

What FW are you on?

I am on F05, and haven't updated yet. I have had that message I posted only 1 time... I haven't had the time to really get down with my Omen yet. my Daily Driver notebook is the Clevo x7200. so I use this primary for now. (work days)

I have experienced a tiny bit of flickering.. but maybe not.. I have to research what constitutes flickering in the cases of the problem earlier in this thread that others where having.

I have experienced the plugged in / not charging thing again... the only way to rectify it for me at least.. was to uninstall the battery and ac adapter drivers in the device manager.. and then reboot.

In my research I've found that the 120w adapter has trouble for some.. on high demanding games while running the GPU and Charging at the same time... that's why it defaults at least for me in these circumstances too the plugged in / not charging.. so I get full power to my GPU and not say 70 or less % to my GPU and then 30 or more % to the charging of the battery.

now... I have read the descriptions of the HP Smart AC Adapter 150w.. and it specifically says that it's for laptops with this issue.. specifically the so you can do your thing while having enough watts for the "thing" whatever that may constitute... and the other amount of watts to charging... in other words.. it can do both and what's needed without any other problems due to the extra wattage. I am of course paraphrasing.. but I think you get the idea.

so... I still think that a more watt adapter couldn't hurt... especially considering the message we get.. the plugged in / not charging.. and the other things we all have experienced and read in the bulk of this thread.

thanks

-dex

3. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I tried to recreate the problem that I faced while heavy duty gaming on my Omen. I deliberately disconnected the charger again while playing watch dogs and there was a dip in frame rates again. After sometime, I replugged the laptop charger & this time, well, the frame rates increased to 35-40 fps that I was getting earlier. The other time my fps just refused to increase inspite of connecting the charger to power. Am unable to find any reasons for Thai behaviour. However, love my Omen.
    - good looks and solid build quality
    - stays relatively cool under heavy gaming sessions too.
    - good balance of understated looks and gaming power ( I find other laptops a little more fancy in terms of logos, lighting etc)

4. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm on the F08 bios :)
    I agree a bigger AC-adapter could definately not hurt, but as my Omen functions fine with the 120w I dont think this is the issue alone at least

5. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just updating on my Omen I got back in the middle of December: I have had zero issues with it and absolutely love it so far. I haven't updated my BIOS (still on F05) nor have I gotten the battery/ charger error. For those seeing that the battery isn't charging when plugged in until it reaches 95%, as I've mentioned, many HP laptops, the Omen included, has a battery feature that maintains the health and longevity of the laptop by stopping the charge at full after sometime until it hits 95% or so and then continues to charge it back up again to full. Again, that is normal and is a part of a battery feature that keeps the health of the battery in tact.

However, if it appears that your charging is intermittent and/ or erratic while plugged in, say it stops charging at an arbitrary point like 40% and then it begins charging again at an arbitrary point, that may be a sign of an issue that is worth contacting HP about.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Dragon Age Inquisition on medium settings and achieving a framerate of 48-55, with AA off. MSAA at x2 I am achieving an average of 38 frames. StarCraft 2 runs flawlessly on Ultra settings. The temps run rather cool for both games and have very rarely seen my temps go beyond 80. If you're still considering this laptop at the price range and specs tier, I would definitely go for it.

6. dexgo

dexgo Freedom Fighter

Reputations:
    I figured out how to downgrade my bios. and went back to F00... lol... that bios sucks.. the lights on the keyboard don't even function...

I thought I backed up my F05 bios.. but I lost it... so I only have bios F06 and F08.

I am on F08 Currently... I like the idea of downgrading.. and a lot of companies make it so you can't downgrade.. but being able to do so on HP.. that's cool.. I am the kind of person who likes the ability to change things.. even though I don't... but If I wanted to ... It's just nice to be able to do so.

now..

If anyone here has a copy of BIOS F05 or could make a backup of said bios Please post it here via putfile or sendfile or whateverfile you can..

I am trying to make a HP OMEN BIOS REPOSITORY.

if you need instructions on how to backup your bios. I can help. PM Me Please

thanks

-dex

pimpineasy likes this.
  7. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'll try asking again....Does anyone know a way to make the macro keys on the omen to for example open a program etc?
    The feature to combine keystrokes are a bit useless to me :p

ToraDora217 likes this.
  8. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't even once used those macro keys once, since buying the laptop. However, I do face some issue in typing as I keep on hitting macro key instead of escape key etc, due to keyboard being shifted slightly to the right.

Want to ask a question - how are the temperatures on your Omen Laptop while gaming?

9. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Never reach 80 both CPU and gpu. Most intensive game I played is probably dragon age inquisition. And it's summer here, very happy with the thermal control

10. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    After I got the new omen after sending the first one back, I hava had a max temperature of 75 degrees C while gaming BF4, FarCry 4 and assassins creed unity. That is both on GPU ad CPU. Very pleased with my omen now