HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    According to the service manual it has a M.2 2280 slot for an SSD only. The system memory is soldered to the mainboard as well, so if you want 16GB you will need to order it that way.

2. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much for the further clarification. This is unfortunate! :/

3. necrophyte

necrophyte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    there is a reason i wrote "gaming" in quotes...

if HP suggests the omen is a gaming notebook, then it should be equipped like other true gaming notebooks, and the base i7 mobile quad model just above the ulvs as the only available option is definitely not gaming-like.
    if the notebook needs to be thin with hardware that doesnt heat up too much, then name it portable multimedia notebook, but not gaming..
    btw apple has been producing mbp mobile workstations with specs that blow the omen since years inside quite thin boxes and not such horrible heat issues as HP's notebooks have, so it wouldnt be a miracle to make a thin gaming notebook without major heat issues, if the competition has done it already.

regarding the touchscreen - again, dont call it gaming notebook, no gamer wants a touch screen on his gaming notebook.

860m is not the "real" maxwell gen everyone is talking about, and the one the 900 series are, it is neither marketed by nvidia as true maxwell. 860m is gm107, 970m is gm204 (AnandTech | The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Review: Maxwell Mark 2).

and again, for a gaming notebook, throttling shouldnt be a topic since it has to be built to perform and sustain heat properly. the price is another topic that shouldnt be focused on too much on gaming notebooks; if you want a budget-friendly notebook, dont go for a gaming one.. there are still envy j/k/q-crapbooks that have somewhat better hardware than cheap low-ends but are not pricey at all.

regarding 3k/4k - with a 970m/980m, this would be a suitable resolution for the people who want it (i personally wouldnt, but again, the option to have it is better than not offering it a priori).

all i want to say is that HP is like some car maker making a 400hp luxury car and markets it as a super sports car, that needs to compete with 600+hp real super sports cars with a bit less luxury that isnt needed in a sports car anyway..

4. OfficerVajardian

OfficerVajardian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Previous versions of the MSI GS60 houses the i7-4710HQ w/ 860m, therefore by your definition, is the GS60 a "portable multimedia notebook"?

The ASUS G750 series all contain the i7-4700HQ CPUs, but house high end 800m cards. Are they not "gaming-like"? You should refine that definition.

Who said Gamers can't have touchscreens on their notebooks? The touchscreens works very well with Win 8.1. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple. Just because some gamers don't like touchscreens, doesn't mean all gamers doesn't.

In regards to you "860m isn't TRUE Maxwell", that's wrong. It's still a Maxwell based Architecture, call it "Test Maxwell", if you like. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

The 860m Maxwell is a GM107, while the others, (880m, 870m) is a GK104. But what you're saying is "It's isn't a Maxwell based Architecture, therefore it's a Kepler based Arch." That's wrong. You're saying: "It isn't X there it is Y". You have to show that the 860m is Kepler.

And what you're also saying is that all Gaming Notebooks should be High Priced, or don't game? That's nonsensical. By raising the price of a product, economics shows that there will be less demand for it. Gaming Notebook Companies should aim for a medium price range, 'round $1500, not >$2000, unless they have other products which fills the gap as a Medium Range one.

You either:

1) Make high end, thick as sh*t notebooks which are gigantic bricks and not have to bother with thermals.
    2) Medium range, thin and light notebooks which are portable and worry about thermals.

It's very, very hard to put an 980m into a thin and light notebook without it frying up, even with the new improved thermals of the GM204.

5. necrophyte

Reputations:
    maybe i have not expressed myself understandably enough - i do not say that the hardware provided is definitely not suitable for a gaming notebook, i am saying that it is the lowest possible resp. regarding the gpu even too old already, where the 900 series are out now (out in notebooks already been available where the omen has been mentioned for the first time, but far from being available), and the main thing i am critisizing is that there are no higher options. of course, one can play lots of games very well with the 4710+860m, but there definitely are limitations, and some people want to minimize these, which they would be able to if the omen offered higher cpu+gpu options. this is my only point..

same with the touchscreen - why dont offer touchscreen as an option out of 2-3 different screens, why forcing each omen buyer to have a touchscreen?

860m is lets say 1st gen maxwell, but when people talk about maxwell now, they almost always mean the 2nd gen, 900 series. i do not say that 860m is kepler.. gM already suggests that it is maxwell and not gK kepler. but there is quite a difference, and people often appreciate improvements within a single architecture more than they do those between 2 architectures (intels tick-tock proved that several times when the tock meant a huge leap forward compared to the tick before that was just a minor one).

if HP didnt have anything to fill the medium-priced gap, this would make sense, but above the pavillions are the newer envy models, which fill the medium-priced range. envy used to be the premium consumer line at about the same price as omen is now, until they graded them down to pavillions after the 3200 series.
    so here even more, the omen would be a good series for the medium-high and high price range, if it offered higher hardware options. right now its just one single model (ok 2 because of 8 resp. 16gb ram - another flaw imo that one cannot decide what kind of ram and how much to put in post-purchase) that is fixed somewhere in the medium to medium-high price range above the envy, not customizable at all. since they like brands and product nomenclature so much, put something that suggests premium after omen like omen-X or so, and let this have better cpu and gpu options, if not making them available to the base omen. a zbook 15 packs up to a i7-4910 and high-end quadros in a similar sized box that is just about 1/3 thicker, and this is far away from the almost 5cm thick alienwares etc..

6. dovamp

dovamp Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm an owner of rMBP(late2013) 13 w/ "dual"-code i5 & "iris"(integrated intel 5100) and it sounds like a hair dryer just for streaming flash movies not even for games, and after watching 30 minutes, it becomes an electric cook top. I guess I can make an egg on it. Oh, btw, when it comes to gaming, BL2 is barely playable on it at FHD with lowest setting.
    I can't imagine how it can be noisy and hot when it equipped with a quad-core i7 and a (even throttled) geforce. FYI, there's such a configuration for rMBP 15.

I'm wondering which one of Omen 15's competitors has made such a miracle of making "thin" gaming laptops w/o this blushing heat problem.

7. necrophyte

Reputations:
    you cant compare integrated graphics with dedicated ones for gaming. dont know about the current models, but i had been using the 17'' mbp w/ i7-2820 back in 2011 for some time, and it wasnt noisy at all, and temps were about 20°C below my envy 17 with an i7-720qm, but almost twice the (non-gaming, because windows always wins with games) benchmark performance..

looks like the cpu has 1, and the gpu 2 heatpipes, but since they are crossed and probably connected to the other heatsink as well, they may share the heat dissipation, which may be very good. well at least each has its own fan... definitely looks far better than the envy inside architecture.

8. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Heatsink looks nice.

Reminds me of the Razor laptop which had this kind of setup for a very very long time now.

It also has Rahul Sood on its board of directors....

Hopefully HP wakes up from their slumber party and provides us something that can be customized and offers a "gaming" screen.

Hard to go back to 60Hz after 120Hz :/

Heh I was also thinking of maybe just buying some new type of mobo and upgrading my current 17 2xxx.

9. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    My only beef with it is the glossy touchscreen. When I game I use an external mouse all of the time, rendering a touchscreen useless. I suppose a Windows 8 "Metro" style game might depend on the touchscreen, but honestly I would only play a game like that on a tablet or phone.

That heatsink design does look nice. I will laugh if the triple heatpipe + dual fan setup lets the processor get over 3Ghz at 100% on all four cores, as not even my Zbook 17 can do that!

10. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great innards! I would have loved to see the method of popping the thing open, though.

The heatsink setup does indeed look good. I'm going to wait just a tad bit more before I make my purchase.