HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. D303

D303 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I turned the computer off by pressing the power button and so far I'm really pleased with the new BIOS:
    No more aggressive throttling! The GPU stays at really high temps and throttles, but not as aggressively as before!!!!!!!!! So no more lag for me!!!!!!!! It surely could be better - it's running at 88 degrees most of the time but it's a lot better - I mean I can actually play games now. And the left fan is blowing out hot air.
    LOVING MY OMEN!

2. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did the new BIOS fix throttling issues? Are there release notes for the updated BIOS? If it's been throttling my games, I'd consider updating but only if I know it fixes those issues as well.

3. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have no throttling issue at all. The GPU is fully utilised and temperature never go beyond 68c (it's summer here and I have a laptop cooler) There's a release note on the website which is related to fixing the flickering screen.

4. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Perfect. That's what I figured the BIOS did but never bothered to look it up. Thanks for clarifying that for me. My temps have been running great, too. It's winter here and unusually cold the last two days. I've enjoyed an ice cold laptop with temps running at about 27-30 degrees haha!

Absolutely loving my Omen so far!

5. pvl

pvl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To Mr. D303: You state your machine is running at a constant 88 degrees C, and with this you are "pleased" and "loving" (make that LOVING, all big letters) - and with a dozen of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well.

Would you be interested in buying a bridge in Brooklyn if the price were right?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  6. Keeper151

Keeper151 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

There seems to be a lot of issues with the Omen so far but I am still keeping it in my option list and hopefully some of you can pipe up and let me know your thoughts.

I built my gaming desktop and that is where I will do the majority of my gaming, but I would like to be able to do some fluid gaming when not sitting at my desk as well, without breaking the bank, and be able to do some homework etc while on the go.

Has anyone played any WoW on this machine yet? That is likely the primary game I will be playing on the laptop but all of the screen tearing, flicker issues have me concerned. I am not worried about playing on max settings but would like to be able to play games at 1080p without having those types of issues. I like having a touch screen as well so that is why I am interested in this machine versus some of the other gaming laptop options.

Has the newest bios update solved the screen flicker issues? Are there any other issues from owners that you think I should be aware of prior to purchasing? Any information would be appreciated :)

7. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine too runs at about 90 degrees C pretty constantly. But only when the AC-adapter is plugged in, and it is charging.
    As soon as the battery is fully charged or if I unplug the AC-adapter, the temperature falls down to about 70 degrees C.
    When it reaches it's high temperatures the GPU randomly and repeatedly hits its power limit, wich makes it drop in fps down to 1-3 fps for several seconds.

I contacted the store where I got mine from, and the are checking it out with HP. I guess I will have to send it back or something.

All this during gaming of course, not when I surf the web, watch movies or listen to music etc..and always when charging up the battery

8. Keeper151

Reputations:
    Have you or anyone else in this thread tried undervolting the cpu and gpu to try and curb the throttling? It makes perfect sense while gaming off of battery that you "should" get consistently lower fps than it should when plugged in since most power management settings on the laptop go into effect and cut power to cpu and gpu.

But off battery while it is charging to get this type of behavior has to be throttling due to high temps. Perhaps a laptop cooler and undervoldting using intel's xtu would help?

What games are you playing when this happens and is v-sync enabled in the game?

9. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have never tried any undervolting, but maybe i should give it a go.
    I play Battlefield 4 on nVIDIAs optimized settings. But the FPS-drop also occurs on both medium and low settings. v-sync is not enabled.

If I have to buy a laptop cooler I dont see the point in having a gaming laptop, as the portability is taking a big hit :p

10. Keeper151

Reputations:
    Do you have a lot of experience with gaming laptops? I have yet to have a gaming laptop that did not require a cooler when any serious gaming session was going on and I have had many (just to name a few) MSI GS60 Ghost pro (870 version), 2014 Razer Blade 14 (870 version) several ROG machines, Alienware, etc. I could do some gaming without one, but anything longer than say a bf4 match or sitting in a city playing WoW or Wildstar, not a chance. So I guess we have to agree to disagree on the cooler front.

Anyway, I would try to enable v-sync as well and see what happens, especially for BF4. I wanted to get a slim, light gaming notebook again without breaking the bank, but from the sounds of it I just need to get a GS60 with the 970 in it. I sold my previous GS because the 870's were just heat monsters being Kepler arch.