HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. l3uk

l3uk Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the information everyone, read the thread thoroughly before making my purchase. Just ordered the 2GB version with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD direct from HP. Total was $1799.99 but after using coupon VIP2014 it brought it down to $1350 before tax. I believe the coupon is still active giving you 25% off as a heads up to any other potential buyers. Kind of doing a lateral "upgrade" from my Gigabyte P34GV2, wasn't that satisfied with the quality of this notebook considering that it costs roughly the same as the HP Omen. Will probably be putting it up for sale after testing out my new Omen in January!

2. mdsniper7

mdsniper7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So received my omen and out of the box it looked amazing. Howvever went to pick it up with one hand and the center flexed and the honeycomb bottom snapped a little bit, so I was like wow! Then to make it worse my screen was really finicky to touch and screen started flashing a bit. So I am returning this model but am debating just staying with my alienware 13 or trying again with the omen. But for the first time with it I was very disapointed.

3. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How unfortunate! You received a rare manufacturing defective laptop. I would highly recommend sticking with the Omen. Order a new one; it's totally worth it as it really does have a solid quality build with great specs and an awesome cooling system.

4. pizzasogood

Reputations:
    Question, does anyone know if Samsung Magician works with the m.2 2280 SSD on board the Omen?

5. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    My omen has a SanDisk SSD

6. pizzasogood

Reputations:
    Now that's interesting! I thought they all had a Samsung SSD.

7. struselix

struselix Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Received mine today but it dies not power on. I plug it in and press the power button but nothing happens. Ideas?

8. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh come on hp, how bad is your quality control?
    Defective touch screens, GPU overheating, screen flickering, computers not turning on - what's next?

Edit: I'm considering changing the GPU thermal paste if I can find anybody skilled enough to do it for me. Which paste would you recommend? I don't mind too much about price.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  9. raundown

raundown Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Why aren't you returning it? It seems pretty obvious you have a defective unit. I do not have any of the issues youre experiencing

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

10. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I only have gpu overheating which is only bothersome when gaming (well, I can't play, it lags right away). I'm loving this device so much that I'm not returning it. And I think that the GPU overheating can be solved by repasting.
    I was just referring to the excessive amount of reports here ;)