HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DrClone

DrClone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like my keyboard to be clean and this is really clean. I also like the macro keys on the left side. I can use it for Autocad/Inventor for quick-access. I am planning on buying this one with the 256GB PCIe SSD, it's on sale on Newegg for $1599.99

OfficerVajardian likes this.
  2. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They usually travel in packs ;)

Judging by the specs, which have a lot left to be desired. And by the fact that HP is targeting gamers with this, it would be not too drastic to think that they will give this device a bigger brother.

Let's wait and see on what the build quality will be like. Especially the keyboard...

Am sure Envy users are aware of the high failure rate of HPs chiclet keyboards.

3. pizzasogood

pizzasogood Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was actually eyeing the asus rog g551 for awhile until this came along. I just really wish they offered a non-touch matte display option. I'm also curious about how the keyboard holds. I hope it's not the same as the ones on the envy.

4. OfficerVajardian

OfficerVajardian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've used HP's business laptops (Elitebooks or something) and TBH, the keyboards are great! I'm using one right now! Very little keyboard flex for mine and very responsive.

pizzasogood likes this.
  5. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Flex on the Envy was an issue on the first gen. Responsiveness never a problem.

However the membrane was of such poor quality that after a while keys would just stop working properly.

Either way: probook and hp consumer devices are like 2 different worlds.

6. Dberner

Dberner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone have the slightest idea why upgrading to 16gb of RAM forces you to spend an extra $120 on the (16gb ram versions) of the same processor and video card. Try going to hp.com and configuring the laptop for yourself. I've never seen incompatibility issues with RAM and processor/video cards and the extra $120 doesn't actually upgrade anything.

7. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    They say that this ram is forged on the highest and most mysterious Chinese mountain by an ancient dragon. Fairies then fly to the Foxconn factories and during midnight hour when the moon is highest and the workers are having their 30 min breaks, the fairies pop in that magic ram.

;D hence the high costs.

8. Dberner

Dberner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    $200 to go from 8gb to 16gb lol total fail right there.

9. DrClone

DrClone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think my plan is to buy the second tier and customize it little bit. I'm planning on getting the 4GB 860M and 256GB SSD PCIe (it's cheaper than buying separately). I'll see if I could phone HP and see if we could make a deal making the price cheaper.

I'll have to discuss with my family relatives on this purchase, if it all goes well. I'll take the risk of being an early adopter and give you all a review. I wasn't sure, It's hard acting right now, but I hope these laptop would have decent resell value...but it's HP.

10. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, sadly HP thoroughly ran the 'ENVY' brand name into the mud, pulled it out and it was turned into an everyday joke! I hope they don't do the same with the 'OMEN'. . . But I can see it being customized with an i3, not that there's anything wrong with an i3, or maybe an i7-4500u, not that there's anything wrong with an i7-4500u, either, and maybe a gt830-840m! Not that there's anything wrong with a gt920-30m! Ha-Ha! My worst nightmare! It's already happened to my saddened 'ENVY'! :(