HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. stisa

stisa Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would say that HP themselfs are letting the brand die before it even has a chance. Where is all the media buzz? At least with the first second and third ENVY devices there was media attention.

I guess too little to late.

In other news:

Founder of Voodoo and maker of the Envy laptops (first few gens) Rahul Sood has left MS to start up his own company. He did try to buy back the rights for voodoo from HP at some point. Maybe this explains why HP is pushing this brand without media fare. Something a long the lines of some half supported attempt by a keen manager at HP who understands the value of it but doesn't get support from the top.

GM of Microsoft Ventures resigns - Neowin

Who knows maybe Rahul will start making laptops again.

Preferably with an ability for eGPUs ;) (personal wish)

On another note: whilst my Envy 17 2xxx 3D is still fit for duty it is becoming ancient. The gimped AMD drivers do not help.

3. fxny12004

fxny12004 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm glad there are now more options in the market, and so far this laptop seems to be my favorite, apart from the MSI GS60, and Asus GX500 vaporware, though they all have their distinct disadvantages. Wish it came with a 970m instead of an 860m, but at least its doesn't come with a stupid 4K display;) Can't have it all I guess. I'm concerned with how well it handles heat, not only because of its slim form factor, but because it's an HP! Hopefully when more exhaustive and complete reviews start surfacing we can have an idea of how well this laptop handles gaming and heat. I found what seems to be a poorly done video review here for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaPnz_rxzXg

4. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I saw this on engadget earlier today. I like the understated design but it looks like plastic (probably aluminum though). The magnezium hinge looks pretty cool. I have yet to use one of those new HP trackpads but I personally don't think they would fit on a gaming machine. I will certianly have to wait and see how this turns out, seems like its got the specs and is priced competitively for what you get. I would love to see a 1440p option, considering this is a 15.6, 1080p is rather low.

5. OfficerVajardian

OfficerVajardian Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. OfficerVajardian

Reputations:
    It's aluminium. HP Just Built a Gaming Laptop. Seriously.

7. OfficerVajardian

Reputations:
    Given the fact that the Omen has the entire underside filled with holes for ventilation, we expect to see some pretty good temps here. But what about the dust? With that many holes, surely HP didn't overlook the dust problem? :)

8. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For some reason I still doubt that the quality will be anything like we have seen for the first Envy lines minus the overheating issues with the first gens.

Sometimes I wonder why the probook devision just doesn't build these. Is the probook still manufactured in NA?

Maybe the 17inch will have better specs and a 120Hz screen.
    Am still not impressed with the raised hinge.

9. fxny12004

fxny12004 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    There's gonna be a 17 inch version?

10. ropeladder

ropeladder Newbie

Reputations:
    Looks really nice, but why do they keep designing 15 laptops with no dedicated page-up/page-down keys? It's getting ridiculous. MSI can fit an entire num pad on their 15" laptop and HP can't fit page-up/page-down?