HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry amazer, can't help you there :(

Only was going to post that I finally re-pasted my Omen, with Noctua NT-H1.

And oh boy does that make a difference! It literally runs like 30° colder now, completely silent most of the time.

It's almost like the Omen got a new life!

I also put another new battery in. Hopefully, it'll hold up this time.

2. David.P

Reputations:
    ...however, now my Bluetooth has disappeared completely :(

Why would that happen? Did I physically break something -- isn't Bluetooth provided by the WLAN card (which is still working)?

I believe that the Omen has the following Wifi and Bluetooth combo module:
    "802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) and Bluetooth 4.0 combo"

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-AC-802-11ac-Bluetooth-Compatible-Thinkpad/dp/B07C2MCJJM

[​IMG]

So how could it happen that Bluetooth would stop working when Wifi still works?

Windows Bluetooth Troubleshooting reports Bluetooth as "Not Installed" :(

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Remove and re-insert the WiFi card, the Bluetooth works over USB and WiFi works over PCIe, thats why one work while the other doesn't.

build6 and David.P like this.
  4. David.P

Reputations:
    You're right! Thats what I just did, and now BT works again!

Although I was so dumb to partially break one of the antenna connectors on the WiFi card :(

I'll get a new one just in case.

Also I was going to mention that, when removing the back cover of the Omen, the secondmost backwards screws on each side must not be removed, because these don't hold the cover but the cooler assembly! I probably have removed them erroneously about a dozen times, and there's always a risk that they fall inside.

5. David.P

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

my Wi-Fi has stopped working today.

The Omen complains that Wi-Fi is deactivated via Wi-Fi switch.

However, there is no Wi-Fi switch on the Omen. What can I do to make the Wi-Fi work again?

I have already activated and deactivated flight mode, resetted the network completely and reinstalled the network card.

6. David.P

Reputations:
    Whatever was the problem, I swapped in a new Wifi card, and all works well again.

7. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    And this concludes my HP Omen 15-5000 journey :(

Having served me for just over five years, I loved this computer even with all of its flaws. But the poor hinge design (which there are numerous complaints about on the HP forums) caught up to me. The hinge became so loose inside the screen assembly that it started pushing out against the screen and eventually cracked it.

The Omen 15-5000 remains an incredibly beautiful device, hampered by its thermals and poor hinge design. The design and overall package of powerful hardware fitted inside a sleek and elegant chassis was way ahead of its time.

@David.P - I'm very thankful for your support of this device. I'm particularly grateful for the Notebook Fan Control profile that you created for us - I've used and enjoyed it for the past 3-4 years and having the laptop run completely silent (and having the option to manually tune the fan controls) was a delight. For that, thank you!

David.P likes this.
  8. David.P

Reputations:
    Glad you liked it D!

9. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, after approx 5.5 years and a broken screen later, decided the change the laptop with heavy heart.... &.... got the latest gen. Omen. The build quality on latest version of Omen just does not feel as good as the Dec 2014 - gtx 860m all meta build version. There is flex in screen and chasis and also, the ports are on the right and left instead of the neat “at the back” location. Good part is the obvious upgrade in terms of specs, screen (have 144hz version) and THERMALS - all reviews are spot on for this as thermals are awesome.
    However, i still have my first gen. omen with me. The build quality, design and smashing looks of it have not aged one bit in these years... cannot let it go. Hope the first gen. omen models are doing great for you all..

build6 likes this.
  10. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did a small comparison in between the first gen. Omen that i have and the new one that i recently got. Long story short - first gen. omen is miles ahead in terms of built and aesthetics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FNAVdVn

build6 likes this.