HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do the fans work? What is wrong with the fans? noisy? slow speed?

Open your omen. Read the part number on the fans. google/bing search for the part number.
    I bought two replacement fans (made by Foxconn) for my 2017 HP pavilion. One fan cost about $10.
    Changing fans is easy if you have good tools. I bought a chinese toolkit for about $10 to change the fans (and for cpu/gpu heatsink too).
    My total cost to replace two fans was $30 and I have a nice toolkit for future use.

I believe the reason my fans "died" is because, in the bios, there is a setting "Fans always on?"
    Turn off "fans always on".

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. DaXn3

DaXn3 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well i've been thinking and i will repair just the fans, and thats all 169 euros... is not cheap but i need my laptop to edit video and right now is imposible.

Since now i'm going to save money every month to buy some one new next year, maybe, or when this one die.. hahah

As you asked me, the bios message is this one,

https://imgur.com/a/zNejuTC

[​IMG]

So... i've been searching this fans but is difficult to find something in Spain on internet.... And is a little bit expensive... arround 60 €. Without been sure by doing it myself, maybe i prefeer to send it to the manufacturer.

David.P, i was talking about drivers, yes. W10 is tedious on that.

3. DaXn3

Reputations:
    Yep. Fans always on is disabled in my bios since i discovered that option :)

4. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I guess the CPU fan is blocked and not spinning at all?

5. heretofore

heretofore Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On HP Pavilion, when I disconnected one fan, I see the same message when booting (starting). Press a button to continue, or laptop will shutdown.
    However, unlike you, I am able to run both cpu and gpu at 100% with only one fan, but temperature is much higher.

Your problem is ... one or both fans are not working. Maybe they need to be re-oiled. You can try to open the fans and re-oil them.
    But maybe the problem is, they simply need to be cleaned. Did you ever open your omen? Computer fans should cleaned every few years.
    It is possible that your fans are full of dust, and if you remove the dust, then your fans will work again.
    You should open the laptop to look at the fans, and remove the dust. Now is also a good time to change thermal paste, if you never did that.

6. DaXn3

Reputations:
    Heey! I'm going to tell you what i finally did. As fast summary, i opened it. I disconnected the old damaged battery and cleaned the fans and interiors (disconnecting fans too).

After the reassamply process, the battery message dissapeared (obviously) and the fans error message dissapeared already! As heretofore suggested me, i've finally decided to open it and that was a great idea.

The old battery is now on a recycling point. I'll search on internet for a new one. There are a lot of official and non official options to buy since 35 € aprox. Not a problem on that.

Just to let you know a little bit more info.. The fans were both spinning before open the laptop and before cleaning them. I dont know why the bios detected the malfunction ... maybe on dust or resistence... And looking at the really bad battery looking state, removing it was a good idea.. for sure. And the laptop weigh was significantly reduced :cool:.

Take a look at the images,

I want to say i've discovered that one part number what HP replaced me during the waranty time, is not the same as appears on the Technical Reparation manual ... I'm talking about the heat sink and fans.

This is the actual part number installed in my laptop. I don't know if this could be the reason why my fans where spinning erratically this past year. I've posted a video some time ago.

Finally, this next week, i supose, i will dissassamble the heatsink to make a repaste of the processor and try to solve the problemes with the hinges. I'm going to try to post videos here to you to let you know what is the bad sound the hinge produces when i lift the screen. :)

By now, I am very happy because I am going to save the money from the repair ... :bigyes:

( Without battery)

7. David.P

Reputations:
    Cool, congrats!

8. DaXn3

Reputations:
    Did you changed your batteries ??? Any recomendation ? ;)

I guess t apply of a new thermal paste can help a lot with refrigeration... will see..

9. David.P

Reputations:
    I bought this battery. It seems to be ok, however the production date is 11/2014 which is not really great.

As I wrote earlier, I had problems with the Omen not detecting the battery occasionally. I then unplugged and replugged the battery a couple of times from the mainboard, and things seem to have improved since then.

10. David.P

Reputations:
    Strangely, all these issues gradually have disappeared over the course of a couple of weeks :0

The last one (touchpad not being recognized) seems to have been resolved by a recent fresh install of Win10 1803.

I guess I really should stop using Driver Booster.... :eek:

Windows 10 in the meantime seems to be near perfect pulling fully working drivers for all devices.