HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't get it. Why is this so "important", as in !!!!!! IMPORTANT !!!!!?

This is a simple NVIDIA Graphics driver update, isn't it?

2. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ... I believe it is because HP has been providing GPU updates even after 4 + years of product launch.

3. David.P

Reputations:
    I still don't get what is so special, or important?
    It's not even a HP driver, it is simply a NVIDIA driver.

4. amazer

Reputations:
    Boss, I think it is a HP modified OEM Nvidia driver. When I clicked on the link, the nomenclature was not typical Nvidia release like 3xx.xx version, but it was typical of HP like 387.293.xxx.xx. But not debating anything here . Peace!

5. GadgetBoi

GadgetBoi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, HP is covering themselves for anyone who doesn't currently use the NVIDIA reference/released drivers. They just created a HP release that included support for helping the CPU fight the exploits(Meltdown/Spectre) as mentioned in the previous post. The release notes have no additional info other than security related and calls out many HP laptop models not just the Omen.

6. David.P

Reputations:
    So if I get this right, HP is simply distributing the normal driver by NVIDIA?

Anyway, I had this driver installed already (I think Driver Booster scraped it up somewhere).

On another note, did you guys also experience a much improved performance of the touchpad recently? I used to have major quirks with the touchpad not reacting to clicks and not scrolling smoothly, like also already decried by Notebookcheck.com in an initial test in 2015:
    In the meantime, this seems to have gone completely [knocks on wood]

7. amazer

Reputations:
    Has anyone downloaded the latest firmware bios version - F.44 A? Any issues with the bios version? Asking this as the F42 version was buggy for me and made fans on my laptop run crazy - almost as if the laptop would take-off any minute while gaming.

8. GadgetBoi

GadgetBoi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have not encountered any problems, it was only the latest patch for the Intel exploits. I always have run my Omen with the rear elevated. It definitely has helped with fan speed.

9. David.P

Reputations:
    Yes! The factory ventilation is insufficient because it is obstructed by the rubber strip 'feet' of the Omen:
    [​IMG]

A little air only gets in at the top and bottom where the printing is. Very bad design choice!

From the beginning, I had put felt and rubber feet to the back of the Omen that made it sit just a little higher so that air would be able to get in from all directions.

After changing the battery recently, I did not even bother to put the rubber strips back:
    [​IMG]

10. amazer

Reputations:
    Boss, from the images, can you guide me
    On the material or from where did you get the circular rubber feet? I am actually planning to get a higher capacity ssd - 512 go for which the rubber feet needs to be removed