]]>

HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. GadgetBoi

GadgetBoi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dave,
    I used this link as reference for disassembly/reassembly http://www.myfixguide.com/manual/hp-omen-15-disassembly/

Additional notes:
    Items used from New Egg:
    upload_2018-2-9_16-23-23.png

1) Used a blow dryer to heat up the rubber mat/feet. They came right off
    2) Cleaned the bottom and feet real good of any sticky residue
    3) Heated the rubber feet again and then put a heavy book on them to flatten for reuse
    4) Removed battery, SSD and heat-sink/fan unit - above link referenced 6 screws on the sink and 2 on each fan diagonal to each other
    5) Used the Arctic Silver remover/purifier to clean CPU/GPU and heat-sink. Cleaned the fans with air and alcohol. Used air and clothe to clean inside of bottom cover. Some dust buildup there
    6) Used the old pads as template to cut the new ones. I was also able to use some leftover from the SSD pad because its longer. You could also order the smaller Arctic cooling pad if needed. You'll need the .5mm and 1.0mm thickness for this replacement. So you can definitely shop it and do it cheaper. You can see from the guide you don't really need to much.
    7) Applied a ~pea size drop to the GPU and a ~pea+1/2 to the CPU. I try never to over apply this stuff. There are also number of methods on the web. I've used the same method for ~25+ years and never had any issue
    8) Used the thinnest SSD pad on the bottom side of the SSD. Originally there wasn't one decided to try it out.
    9) Reassemble everything reference the guide if needed.
    10) Used clear auto/marine adhesive/sealant for the bottom rubber, very sparingly, put a phone book on it lid closed over night and all is good.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow thanks for the detailed instructions GB! Will definitely keep those in mind when starting with replacing my battery.

So how much cooler does your Omen run after the re-pasting?

3. D30

D30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @David.P I used this official guide from HP to replace the thermal pads and thermal paste: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c04510378

You need both 1mm and 0.5mm thermal pads. As for the paste, you don't see a massive difference between the different pastes, but I've been quite satisfied with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

4. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK thanks. I was thinking whether re-pasting in itself does change much at all (apart from the effect of fan cleaning that probably is much more effective).

5. GadgetBoi

GadgetBoi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its pretty subjective, this was the first change so the original stuff was 3+ years old and was the original square and rectangle shaped OEM paste pads in bad shape. Right now looks like I improved 3-5 deg c with everything cleaned up, so probably just a little better than when it was new. I'll see how my benchmarks & temps compare pre vs. post. Big thing I noticed regardless I can play COD WWII with no temp crashing and other apps are also running cooler. My approach on this was basic maintenance so getting back to newly purchased or a little better is all I was after. Doing this to overclock would have meant a different route with maybe different thermal solutions.

6. Murat Y?lmaz

Murat Y?lmaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello David, I downloaded your config file for notebook fan control but for some reason its not working. I just bought the laptop today.

I saved the file and tried everything. The fan speed is shown as %128,9 and changing the fan speed doesnt work.

7. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is good. Thanks for the detailed steps. Was earlier always afraid of getting those rubber strips pasted at the bottom of laptop panel to get damaged or get deformed if trying to force it out from base.