]]>

HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey! I recently bought the "OMEN by HP 15-ax250wm Laptop" on clearance for what I think is a crazy good deal. It was $499, but then it was a display model so it came out to $486 after tax!

The specs are as follows:
    Summary
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz 48 °C
    Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
    RAM
    12.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
    Motherboard
    HP 8259 (U3E1) 53 °C
    Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics 630 (HP)
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (HP) 39 °C
    ForceWare version: 388.13
    SLI Disabled
    Storage
    931GB Hitachi HGST HTS721010A9E630 (SATA) 27 °C
    Optical Drives
    No optical disk drives detected
    Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Any tips for a newcomer to this machine? Anything I should uninstall right away? Plenty of HP bloatware and automatically installing games to sort through. Anyone have experience with undervolt or overclocking with this? I'll start going through the huge amount of info in this thread :D

I'm going to be adding in an m.2 SSD for the OS. This is the first time I've used windows in a few years on a standard HDD and it is jarring!
    Thx!

2. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure if this is the correct thread for your machine, because the thread is about the badass 2015 models that look like this:
    [​IMG]

amazer likes this.
  3. johny_994

johny_994 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi david.
    I have hp omen 17-w172nw. Im trying to make it more quiet because the left fan is always on despite being disabled in bios. I was able to find the Write and Read values for the fan control but im unable to turn the fan completly off. Could you somehow help me with the settings? Im trying to do that for one week already and I cant find the solution :(
    I will be really greatful for any help.
    How can I contact you because u can't find option to send a private message.

4. expressimo

expressimo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi David, Im new in the forum. I want to ask some questions: I have seen you shared xml omen configuration and i have pavilion bc200 aka omen you know :D .Does would be compatible with my laptop ? And ı want to change fan controlling because left fan works 200 rpm right one 2000-4500 ?!? İn bf4 thermals reached 96c 92c and 90c. All settings were maxed out. I will change the thermal paste obviously. Can you help me about fan usage? Also, If ı can ı want to a modded bios but it would be looking like not modded ? Thanks for now. I had tried some configs but im shy to try more configs because generally people say configs can be harmful ım not so sure :) I had to make some config and ı heard little click sounds like as shutdown or wake up clicks.Had ı damaged mboard or not? I think it was hdd.

5. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, has anyone downloaded the new bios F.42 from hp site? It is the one that has been updated in Jan 18. I am facing an issue that the fans are now spinning a lore more and go into overdrive a lot more post the installation of bios.
    Further, which drivers are you using for your GPU? Mine is the 860m version (1st gen), and most of the new drivers from Nivrita are not great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for the late reply. I'm afraid I can't really help you there with the hex numbers of your machine. I'd recommend to discuss this over at the NBFC forum thread (English should be ok), possibly after reading the Wiki.

Hth
    David

7. GadgetBoi

GadgetBoi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you install from the exe? F.40 was the last Bios that installed successfully using the exe, F.41 and F.42 reboot to install, but never do. I am on Win10 64Bit. I am going to flash via USB next week and I'll post if the fans change up. For my 860m I always upgrade to the latest driver and never really have encountered any problems. Sometimes I'll do a a clean install of the driver; then go in and setup the apps/settings in the NVIDIA control panel

8. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do you do a clean install of nvidia drivers? Can you please help me here on how same is done? Are you using a software or some other program?

9. DaXn3

DaXn3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hii Everyone here!!!!! :)))))))))

I've been reading you since last weeks and i have no found any other place on internet with the quality of content like yours, for my HP Omen 5001ns

Itself, i did not found any other place to ask about and no body has an answer for me.

This is about Nvidia Drivers......... Why? Yep... because HP graphic drivers for the Nvidia gpu stopped to update on 2015... And i think i'm experimenting troubleshots with the generic Nvidia ones because of some strange behaviour on my fans :S

I've been testing the officials from the manufacturer (yep, those from HP, on version 353.54) and the real problem is that actual sofware and games like Planet Coaster or just Adobe Premiere needs newest drivers or directly dont run.

The THING and my problem is this one.... :

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VYTRl1vGR3Kpu8kJ3 (Vídeo)

My fans get ofen crazy like this, or sometimes when the chip was under stress (yep, just like gaming) after the stress the fans dont stop donn until a couple of restarts of the machine. Some other times like the video one, just, i'm doing nothing stressing and fans (offen the GPU fan, but not only) start at 100% and stop like every 4 seconds....

Anyone here experimented that ?? On wich nVidia drivers do you stay ??

PD: I'm in the last Bios version and it seems it doesnt affect on the performance, but i dont base this afirmation on any rendered test... Just my sensations.

10. DaXn3

DaXn3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Best way is to use DDU in Safe Mode :)

U can get it here.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/