HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For some reason, my Omen has begun to stop charging when the battery hits 80%...

Is there a setting for a battery conserving charging mode somewhere that might have been activated?

Such modes are available on some brands, but I've never seen a battery conserving mode with HP?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. David.P

Reputations:
    BTW, this seems to have been fixed by re-installing HP System Even Utility (sp71716).

ChanceJackson likes this.
  3. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Generally, this happens when the battery is getting old and is not able to retain charge at full capacity post charging I.e. Battery change is the solution. However, in you case it looks like it was a software glitch
    Just wanted to know one thing from forum members - has anyone updated their bios to latest version - f40? If so, then have you noticed any changes in fan speed. Post updating to this bios version, I see the fan noise increasing much more. Also, how are guys cleaning the fans of the laptop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. D30

D30 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah I've been running F40 for a couple months now and I haven't really noticed much of a difference. However, I use a modified version of David.P's fan control config 80% of the time. The fans run as usual, the left fan is always active at around 30% speed and the right fan kicks in at around 60 degrees and gradually speeds up as the temp of my CPU heats up :)

I repasted my CPU and GPU and cleaned my fans a couple days ago :)

Also, my battery is pretty much toast. It lasts one hour with light use but it's unreliable. Some times the laptop goes into hibernation if I run demanding applications on battery power. Considering changing it - if I can find an original replacement.

5. David.P

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info about BIOS v.F40.

What's the explanation for the battery to die after like 1.5 years? (mine does so as well)

That's not normal for a Li-Ion Battery.

6. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys, had anyone upgraded their ssd on current Omen? I have a 256gb version Omen and am thinking of upgrading the ssd, as storing games and other files which are big in size becomes easier. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk