HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. amazer

amazer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, tragedy stuck my Omen 15... the screen was a little loose from edges and while trying to fix it back, the screen flexed and.. well there was a crack on touch screen. While the screen is functioning well, but there is a crack which is now across the screen. Am now in a fix on what to do as I am sure the screen replacement would cost a Bomb..

Sent using Tapatalk

2. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  3. amazer

Reputations:
    This is not the Omen series laptop from HP. This is pavilion series.

Sent using Tapatalk

4. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope, it's really an HP Omen. You can see it in the name, screenshots and specs.

You probably mixed it up with the "Pavilion 15 Gaming" from last year - which had similar green-colored chassis and keyboard, but also had a CD drive and a 950 GTX only. This one above is really an HP Omen chassis, without CD drive, and with the 1050/Ti gtx.

5. amazer

Reputations:
    Guys,has anyone on this forum played Doom on their Omen? I have terrible lag in textures and some screen tearing. I am playing on high settings overall with max antialiasing @ 1080p. Any recommendations or suggestions for better performance?

Sent using Tapatalk

6. jvidamins

jvidamins Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone have to replace one of their fans yet? My left fan is going fast and making so much noise and rattling I can't even stand it anymore. I'm hoping there's a way to just replace the fan instead of the entire cooling assembly. Anyone?

7. amazer

Reputations:
    Given, the way I received support for my Omen's replacement screen - which horrible to say the least- would suggest that if possible, try to get the fan cleaned and then if it does not work out-look for fan replacement. Further, if the fan is making noice only on heavy gaming then it is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jvidamins

jvidamins Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I cleaned it as best I could but it's still failing and rattling. Bearing must be going out. May try to oil it, but that would require removing the entire heatsink assembly and cleaning/reapplying the paste, etc. upon reinstall. Really wish they could have made it easier to work on the fans separate from the heatsink. Very poor design if you ask me. In the meantime, I installed Notebook Fan Control so the left fan pretty much doesn't kick on unless doing something graphic intense, which isn't very often.

9. amazer

Reputations:
    May I ask how did you clean the fans? Did you remove the base and the rubber feet to clean it or just used a pressurised air container to clean it? It has happened with a couple of my friends where they used pressurised air containers for cleaning laptop fans without opening them, which in turn, caused the fans to rotate very fast in opposite direction & damaged them, due to air pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, this is what I did now, with a piece of 3M Dual Lock Heavy Duty Velcro Sticky Pad and a velcro cable strap that I had lying around:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]