HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll try and ask again: am I the only one who has major problems with the tap function of the built-in touchpad of the Omen?

I find that I have to tap quite hard in order for the tap to be recognized as left click.

I have tried like a dozen different Synaptics drivers, and it's the same with all of them. Only without driver (i.e. with the inbuilt Windows touchpad functionality), light taps are recognized instantly. But then, of course gestures are not supported.

Any ideas how to resolve this problem?

2. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Mine registers a tap with the lightest touch and based on your explanation it seems to be a driver setting.

Try going into Clickpad settings, SmartSense settings and adjust the settings there?

3. David.P

Reputations:
    Thanks for your reply -- actually I've always disabled SmartSense (i.e. set to minimum) in order for it to not interfere with the basic functions (tapping and scrolling).

However tapping never works reliably. About every third tap is not registered.

This is also what Notebookcheck found in their test of the Omen, in the Touchpad section further down on the page:
    https://translate.google.de/transla...check.com/Test-HP-Omen-Notebook.133068.0.html

4. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I really don't have this problem. I've tried reproducing the error by dragging and dropping and it didn't register maybe once in 20 attempts. I do agree that the touchpad isn't stellar, but I don't have the problem you describe.

5. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    On the other hand, I'm really having issues with the thermals. Temps were fine for the first 3-4 months after reapplying thermal paste, but now I'm having issues again.

CPU is reaching 94-95 degrees and the same goes for the GPU. Is Arctic Silver 5 not good enough or did I just not apply it correctly? I have now disabled Turbo on the CPU and I hope that helps a little till I find a more permanent solution.

6. David.P

Reputations:
    Not sure what could be the reason in your case. I guess your fans and fins are clear of lint and dust, which usually is the main reason for overheating.

With respect to thermal paste, apparently you should use the line or rice drop method:
    The best method to apply Thermal Paste
    [​IMG]

7. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I put a pea on the GPU and a line on the CPU. I might have to redo it.

8. David.P

Reputations:
    Does anyone have a link to the current version of HP Omen control? (Which is not on the drivers download page for whatever reason)

I found this version (v.1.1.6.0 of 23-Mar-2015):
    http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70894.exe

...but it doesn't work (i.e. the Omen programmable keys can be programmed but still don't work)

9. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have the 1.1.6 version and it works fine. The only thing that doesn't work is recording macros (I'd love to use the programmable keys to change desktops, but I can't)

10. David.P

Reputations:
    OK thanks. It seems that a reboot did it and now the programmable keys do work as assigned.

However, after using Omen Control and closing it, it always stays active in memory (see Task Manager) and uses quite some CPU which can make the fans run all the time. Therefore, I have to kill it from task manager after every use.

I shall check and come back with the info whether Autohotkey can see the programmable keys of the Omen. If this is the case, you can assign whatever you like to those keys, using a simple Autohotkey script with like one or two lines.