HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone solved the problem with the touchpad not responding to clicks already?

2. TpFox

TpFox Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, I would like some help in getting the display settings to work in 4k 60hz through mini display port. I can only get 4k 30hz at the moment and every time I go into advanced display options I see that the external monitor is being powered by the intel HD graphics and it seems its capped at 4k, 30hz since it shows no available option for 60hz. I'm not sure if there's something I need to do with the nvidia control panel as I have it set to use the dedicated gfx card. I do have the latest drivers from both nvidia and intel graphics.

3. TpFox

TpFox Newbie

Reputations:
    NVM I got it to work by setting a custom resolution in Intel Graphics Control Panel

4. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey guys, Omen first gen owner. Does anyone's fans start up frequently nowadays? I've had it since april 2015. Anyone open up their laptops to clean it out/ Repaste? is it possible?

5. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I had problems with my PC since day one and I finally decided to open it up and repaste it. I bought some Arctic Silver 5 and ArctiClean cleaning solution to remove the old thermal paste and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY.

When I removed the heat sink, I noticed the excessive amount of paste that HP had used - no wonder my temps were high and the CPU/GPU was throttling!

Where my GPU would run at 92 degrees @ 654 MHz it now runs at its full 1097 MHz with temperatures at around 85 degrees - yes it's still high but it's not near the throttling range and performance is top notch without any hiccups.

The CPU used to reach 95 degrees and throttle - that issue has now been eliminated, too and it stays at around 71-73 degrees when playing Diablo 3 and only reaches 85+ when doing prolonged stress tests.

The tradeoff? Well, the rubber feet really don't stick properly anymore. If you plan on disassembling it, make sure you are very careful when taking them apart so you can reuse the original double sided tape. I have not been able to find any double sided tape with the same strength and heat resistance. The increased performance and potentially longer lifespan of the laptop is totally worth it, though.

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    AS5 is garbage, buy GC Extreme or Kryonaut.

Conductonaut if you want the best.

7. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't know if I would call AS5 garbage, but there sure are better options. However, when I was trying to find out what paste I should use I found AS5 to be tested and adequate for my needs. If I ever have to repaste in the future I'll acquire one of those you've suggested! Thanks

8. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does anybody else have problems when the laptop hibernates due to low battery? It doesn't seem to keep things in memory - when you plug the laptop in and turn it on again it starts as if it was shutdown.

BIOS version F.32

9. David.P

David.P Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing! You sure that the paste made so much difference, or was it rather the lint and dust that you probably removed as well?

Anyway, in order to reduce the amount of time the fan runs down to a small fraction like e.g. 2 percent (half an hour instead of 24hrs in case of an always on device, with the amount of dust collected and in turn the longevity improving accordingly), Omen owners once more might consider Notebook Fan Control:

HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

10. D30

D30 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The laptop was not dirty at all. Sure it had accumulated a thin layer of dust, but nothing major. Not only did HP apply a ton of thermal paste, the heat sink wasn't properly screwed on either and I think the latter is the biggest culprit.

I've been using your Notebook Fan Control Profile for about 6 months now and it works flawlessly for light productivity work or browsing. I wish it could control both fans instead of just the left one and that the critical temperature was set higher than 80 degrees. Is that something you could do?