HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Auduno

Auduno Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Seems like HP is throwing out updates almost every day now.
    Just installed the new Synaptics driver which seems like fixed the opposite scrolling direction.

2. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    hmm I wonder if it's at all possible to change the gfx card identity into thinking its the 960m instead of the 860m.... I remember people did that for envy

3. Th4tRedhe4d

Th4tRedhe4d Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What would the benefit of that be? The 860M can already be overclocked with PrecisionX.

4. PaKii94

PaKii94 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lol so I can over clock it more. I've maxed the OC on the core but the temp are still pretty low and that's just by raising the back a little no fan.

---

Side note, is anyone experiencing a tight right hinge? It makes noise like its scrapping against the side and seems to be getting worse and I got this laptop in April. Is this something covered by standard warranty?

5. CatCity

CatCity Newbie

Reputations:
    just found this today... can someone confirm dead pixel or stuck pixel?

[​IMG]

6. ickpers

ickpers Newbie

Reputations:
    There is a newer version of the Omen out now with a 960GTX. Does anyone know when it'll be available in europe. I might call them on Monday and ask. It seems to be quite hard to get in the US too.

7. ickpers

ickpers Newbie

Reputations:
    I called HP yesterday and the guy said that we are about 6 weeks behind in the UK. He said they old Omen is on offer because the new one will be on sale soon. The sooner the better.

8. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    If you can get the old one for a discount than I would do that. The new model is barely an upgrade (the processor is only 100MHz faster and the 960M is just a slightly overclocked 860M; you can overclock the 860M yourself and that 100MHz bump won't be noticeable).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. ickpers

ickpers Newbie

Reputations:
    Then that 860 must be the maxwell one? The new one has no beats audio but instead has bang and olufsen which I'm sure is equally cap but I would say anything is a step up from beats. These are all just marketing terms I know but you live in hope of good speakers.

As for the trackpad or whatever I think is all the same as before.

10. Th4tRedhe4d

Reputations:
    Yep, the 860M in the Omen is Maxwell. Someone here had both models and actually thought the "Beats" speakers sounded better the "Bang & Olufson" speakers. I'm sure it's mainly just marketing though. If you go back a little ways in the thread you can find that comparison post.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk