HP Omen 15 (5XXX series) Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'HP' started by DrClone, Oct 8, 2014.

1. DrClone

DrClone Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could it be? Is HP reviving the VoodooPc brand?

There are rumors that HP is working on a slim gaming laptop?

[​IMG]

The leaked specification had shown us this laptop will pack:

(REMEMBER - This could change due to maxwell release.)

Intel i7-4712HQ (soldered type)
    Up to 16GB RAM
    256GB SSD
    Nvidia GeForce 860M
    15.6-inch giving an resolution of 1920x1200.

What I find interesting is the screen resolution that was leaked. Does it mean that this laptop is in 16:10 aspect ratio? Since Maxwell was released and they had proven that they are extremely efficient, so I'm sure that they'll upgrade the 860M to an 970M or maybe 960M (unknown).

That's up to you to decide.

HP's website also shows support for HP Omen 15 as seen:
    HP OMEN 15-5000 Notebook PC Support - HP Support Center

2. VonCrisp

VonCrisp Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy! I did not think they would revive the Voodoo brand! : O

Envy is dead .. long live the Omen.

This better be on par with the quality they used on the initial Envy machines. Hopefully with better cooling and no switchable graphics!

Also when have they moved from "HP" to Hewlett-Packard ?

3. DrClone

Reputations:
    HP separated their department into two. One for enterprise (Hewlett-Packard Enterprise) and other is HP for PC and printing.

Also, I like the name Hewlett-Packard instead of HP. It makes it look more premium. I hope the construction is good, more importantly...good cooling capabilities...and finally decent battery life.

4. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    Knowing HP they separate, buy up, cannot digest, rebrand all the time. Not sure if it will hold this time.

Hopefully the materials will also be premium. You are certainly right about the cooling capabilities : )! Would be nice to get 2 heat sinks like on that Razor http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2703491/RzrBlade14_21_verge_super_wide-1.png

I recall the Voodoo Envy 133 made completely out of carbon fiber. A paint job on that sexy thing cost 600$. All paint jobs were done in a specialized Car spraying centre. Shame that it came out in 2008 at the height of the crisis.

Voodoo_Envy_133_laptop_2.jpg

5. Jay_d

Jay_d Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  6. DrClone

Reputations:
    I wish they would make the "Windows" Button on the keyboard, a Voodoo theme head similar to the Envy 133. Also, I'm struggling if I should get this or not.

I'm in need of a portable high performance computer with decent battery life. I really hope, HP put a 9xx series GPU in their laptop...it'll be more modern.

7. VonCrisp

Reputations:
    I would honestly wait till a 17inch version or Gen2 shows up with a better GPU like you describe.

Thanks for the pics Jay_D!

The bezel on the bottom is just mind blowing in terms of thickness. Also I might just be picky but the hinges not extending the screen bezel "behind" the laptop also feels like a step backwards if you compare it to the original Envy series.

I am starting to have reservations about this.

Also what if it ends up being a "Dynamic Switching/ Optimus" 9xx series as every OEM has cut down costs by using Intel as the primary GPU and not including a multiplexer with an inbuilt BIOS settings that would let us pick which mode to favor.

Essentially a way around this would be to wait for a model that has a 3D screen since that would need to be routed via a multiplexer directly to the Nvidia.

Too many questions.

8. DrClone

Reputations:
    justinkw1 likes this.
  9. justinkw1

justinkw1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    From the looks of it, this seems to be more of a direct successor to the ENVY 15-30XX / 32XX series rather than the ENVY 15 series of late (j/k/q series). The numbering to some extent reflects this as well (albeit with the product brand change).

We'll know more Tuesday... :cool:

DrClone likes this.
  10. 7words

7words Notebook Consultant

Reputations: