HP Notebook Fan Control in HWiNFO32 (ROUND 2 - AUTO FAN CONTROL CONFIG) !

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by Mumak, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mumak

Mumak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Since I have received a lot of feedback on the Manual Fan Control I implemented on certain EliteBook series (as discussed here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-.../519840-hp-notebook-fan-control-hwinfo32.html) and a lot of requests to enahnce the features to be able to modify the Automatic fan control tables as well, I have decided to implement this too.
    The original Fan Control allowed to change the controller to Manual Control state and set the fan speed to any value.
    This is the 2nd round of fan control which allows to modify the LUT (Look Up Table) which is activated when the controller is in automatic mode.
    Supported notebook models remain the same as previously (those which contain the SMSC EMC2103 or SMSC EMC2113 controllers).
    To activate this feature use the same method as disclosed in the previous thread. Now an additional Lookup Table is displayed. To access this table, the controller needs to be switched to manual mode.
    The LUT consists of 8 different levels of fan control and each level is activated based on the value of any of the 4 displayed temperature thresholds (if any of these temperatures reaches the threshold value defined, the specified fan RPM value is activated). On some models (like the 8740w), only Temp3 is monitored and available to be changed. On some others, the External temperatures are included in the table as well.
    Note, that on several models, the Temp3 doesn't contain a real temperature value (in degrees Celsius), but a PWM duty cycle instead which is a value supplied to the fan controller circuit. For example on 8740w it's the value sampled on the PWM_IN pin, on 8730 it's the value of Pushed Temperature 1. This value doesn't have a real correspondence to a fixed temperature value. Anyway, it's possible to modify this value (probably best would be some kind of guessing based on system observation). You can convert the PWM duty cycle into % by: ( value/128 ) * 100 [%]
    If you make any changes to the LUT, pressing the "Apply and Save" button stores the values into the fan controller circuitry and switches to Automatic mode to activate them (the controller needs to be in the Automatic mode in order to use the LUT values). These settings are then remembered in the registry as well, so when you run HWiNFO32 again and open Sensors, the values set will be loaded into the chip. This means, that to have your custom settings always active (after a reboot), you should autorun HWiNFO32 with Sensors (because the fan controller is configured by BIOS). This has the advantage that the original settings are always restored during boot in case the user makes a mistake. If you wish to clear the custom LUT settings, press the "Clear Preferences" button in HWiNFO32 / Configure.

Sample screenshot (HP 8740w):
    [​IMG]
    Sample explanation:
    Rule 4: If the PWM_IN Duty cycle reaches 48 (37.5%), then fan speed is set to 3233 RPM.
    Rule 5: If the PWM_IN Duty cycle reaches 64 (50%), then fan speed is set to 3510 RPM.

BE CAREFUL WHEN CHANGING ANY SETTINGS AND BE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING ! YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY POTENTIAL DAMAGE !

Download the latest HWiNFO32 release which supports this feature:
    LINK REMOVED DUE TO NBR FORUM RULES

Please submit your feedback if/how this feature works !

Update: HWiNFO32 v3.69-1149 allows to modify the Fan Minimum Drive setting (the minimum fan speed in %, a value below this threshold is considered by the fan controller as invalid and can't be used).

triturbo likes this.
  2. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Wow, great job, Martin!
    I tested it and it works perfectly! Here's what was changed:

1. Fan 1649 - no changes
    2. Fan 2318 - changed to 2700 ( kicks in when temps reach 70C)
    3. Fan 2700 - changed to 3510 ( kicks in when temps reach 75-77c)
    4. Fan 3233 - changed to 3510
    5 and beyond - no changes

With the above changes the fan will kick in to 2700rpm @70C, and max@75-77C. Cooldown to 65C will reduce the speed from max to 2700rpm, and 55C will bring it to the default 1649rpm.

Thank you!

triturbo likes this.
  3. Mumak

Reputations:
    I made some small improvements to the Fan Control and posted a new Build (1128).

4. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    I'm testing it now...

5. Mumak

Reputations:
    Posted a new public Beta (build 1130)

6. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Great! I gotta tell you, this new feature is so handy! I can finally stop thinking about the fan and temps, lol :)

7. Mumak

Reputations:
    No one else interested in this? Previously many asked me for such feature...

8. Siorah

Siorah Beware of Squirrels!

Reputations:
    it works on my 2800M 8740w machine, perfectly.

Thanks for this mate :)

9. DanaGoyette

DanaGoyette Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Say, how are you even accessing the i2c (smbus), when the smbus controller doesn't appear even though its bit is cleared in the "function disable register"?

If you can open-source that piece, then Linux will be able to use its own EMC driver.

Also, on my 8530w, there are 4 editable columns; how do I know which things to set to what? The headers are: Temp1 (ext1), Temp2 (ext2), Temp3 (push1), Temp4 (int). Not all of those temperatures appear in the actual readings pane.

10. Mumak

Reputations:
    So you say that when you clear RCBA+0x3418 bit3, the SMBus PCI device is still not decoded on bus? That shouldn't happen and I don't do anything more to enable that device.
    As for the 4 temperatures, if either of them crosses the threshold then it's activated. On these models it seems that Temp3 is the most important one..
    In this case Temp1 is the External sensor diode 1, dunno where the diode is really located (could be under CPU), Temp2 is External sensor 2, Temp3 is pushed into the chip from some source (dunno which) and Temp4 is the Internal temperature of the EMC (mostly used as the motherboard temperature). You should see the values of these temperatures in HWiNFO32 sensors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.