1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP L2000 Special Edition Notebook Image Tour

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. impeachme2

impeachme2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Estimated ship date is July 7, with 5-7 day shipping. You might be actually right with that theory, since MIMO requires an additional antenna. Good call. The 12 cell battery is actually pictured in the image gallery of the original post, but I will take pics once I get it.

2. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was surprised and disappointed to see HP is only offering the 35 Watt "ML" version of the Turion and is not offering the 25 Watt "MT" version. 35 Watts is the same power as the mobile Athlon 64 and you can probably only expect about 60% of the battery life of a Centrino notebook. I wonder if AMD is having problems supplying the "MT" version because it makes no sense to me why HP wouldn't offer it?

The Averatec 4100 due out in July is supposed to have the "MT":

http://www.retailaccess.com/averatec/pdf/4100%20Sell%20Sheet.pdf

I was also disappointed in the shared graphics on the L2000, but I think the Averatec will have shared graphics as well.

3. livestrong211

livestrong211 Newbie

Reputations:
    Where did you find a 6% off HP student discount? I am thinking about ordering an L2000, as well.

4. strategist333

strategist333 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    <blockquote id='quote'>quote:<hr height='1' noshade id='quote'>
    35 Watts is the same power as the mobile Athlon 64 and you can probably only expect about 60% of the battery life of a Centrino notebook.
    <hr height='1' noshade id='quote'></font id='quote'></blockquote id='quote'>

If the Turion and the Mobile Athlon 64 use the same power, then why not go Athlon 64 instead? Don't they have higher clock frequencies?

Lasted edited by : May 8, 2015
  5. AMDemon

AMDemon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Call HpShopping.com....1-866-433-2018 (weekdays 7 a.m. - 2 a.m., weekends 10 a.m. - 7 a.m. EST)

Mention that u require the APP discount & voila!...All they'll need from u is (at the very most) a student id#, location/name of school attending, your name.

6. Rahul

Rahul I joined NBR in January 2005, how time flies!

Reputations:
    I'd love to know the battery life on it.

7. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Turion is basically the same as a Mobile Athlon 64 with a few improvements. The main improvement is the L2 cache size goes up from 512kb to 1Meg (as in the desktop Athlon 64). The clock speed of the Turion is the same as the Mobile Athlon 64, but it should run applications faster due to the larger cache. Second, they added the lower power 25 Watt "MT" version, which for some reason HP is not offering. The MT is the same chip as the ML, but is screened to verify it will run to spec at a lower voltage, and thus consume less power. One more small improvement, is that the Turion added some more 3D graphics commands.

So far as battery life goes, the Centrino is 27 Watts max, but often gives 4 hours of battery life in notebooks, depending on the power of the battery used. The Averatec Turion with the 25 Watt MT is said to give 2.5 hours of life. So I'm guessing the HP L2000 with the ML chip will have even less battery life with the standard 6 cell battery. If battery life is important to you, then get the optional 12 cell battery, but you pay a price, due to it extending about 1/2" out the bottom of the case.

Anyway, we can't be certain about battery life until we see some actual tests for the L2000 since there are many other factors involved.

8. faisal37

faisal37 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm just wondering if you guys tell me whether I can buy this laptop as I'm a student in a canadian university.
    I would appreciate your reply.

9. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I dont think so..unless HP canada offers such discounts...I dont think you can get discounts from the US website for a Canadian university.

10. kozimodo

kozimodo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I emailed HP. 2 hours with the 6 cell and 4 with the 12 cell.