1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

HP L2000 Special Edition Notebook Image Tour

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Andrew Baxter, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikec

mikec Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As far as battery life, the DV1000 with Intel is going to have better battery life. But for specific tasks, (ex. viewing a DVD, copying data, number crunching), it will vary.

The optical spindle (DVD drive) takes a lot of battery; it will be interesting to compare times of viewing a movie from a DVD drive vs. an ISO image from the hard drive. Again, another test I will do.

2. blksnake

blksnake Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    I'm typing this message on the new HP L2000 Livestrong special edition notebook. It just arrived at a local CompUSA.

The picture below accurately portraits the height of the 12-cell extended battery. I compared the weight of the L2000 to a HP DV1000 notebook with the 6-cell battery installed and they felt identical. I found the raised keyboard made it easier to type as well.

The Livestrong messaging was tastefully placed and does not distract.
    [​IMG]

3. Artwjp

Artwjp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Please post more of your first-hand experience with the L2000.

4. rally1

rally1 Notebook Enthusiast NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I stopped in CUSA but the manager didn't have any to show yet (compusa.com says they have them in stock). But he added they will have a big endcap display, and the guy from AMD will be in the store Sunday to set it up.
    I just want to see it in person so I can tell if the yellow crap comes off. :cool:

5. Rahul

Rahul I joined NBR in January 2005, how time flies!

Reputations:
    Battery life sure sounds disappointing with the Turion. :(
    How is the performance though compared to a Pentium M?

6. Trauty86

Trauty86 Newbie

Reputations:
    This looks like it is a theme with HP. They don't
    have the Mobile Pentiums available, and they
    don't have the low-watt Turion available. This
    is even more disheartening when you consider
    the low-watt Turion runns 2 watts lower, however
    that will manifest, and it is only $30 more than
    the 35 watt chip. HP is trying to offer greater
    choice, but they still don't make available
    every part that is on the market.

7. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was wondering if u buy the L2000 from CompUSA, will the notebook come with both 6 and 12 cell battery or just 12-cell cuz the thing looks better with 6-cell and i would be happy if it comes with both 6 and 12 cell.

8. renoguy

renoguy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    They have the L2000 in stock now at CompUSA.

It's pretty much fully loaded with 1GB RAM and a 100GB hard drive. The after rebate price of $1250 is about $43 cheaper than HP's online price, but HP doesn't charge sales tax for most states and shipping is free, so it's still cheaper to buy from HP, if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

Also, the HP RAM is overpriced, and the 100GB hard drive is just 4200RPM. I'd rather have a 5400RPM 80 GB drive. So that's another reason to buy from HP and get your extra RAM from newegg.com (maybe even get a 100GB, 5400RPM drive from newegg).

I took a look at the notebook and it's nice. The yellow lettering I could do without, but it's not too obnoxious and it looks like it wont rub off. The screen is nice and bright. It does get warm right under the touch pad, but not hot.

It comes with just the 12 cell battery, and not a 6 cell. And I agree that I wish they would offer the MT versions of the Turion. That would probably add another 1/2 hour of battery life with a 6 celll battery. My guess is the MT is not yet being shipped by AMD, because I don't see any notebooks with it out there yet. Averatec is supposed to ship one this month, so I'm guessing HP will offer the MT versions in a month or so.

The ML Turino is 35 Watts, the MT 25 Watts, and the Centrino Sonoma 27 Watts, so the MT should get similar battery life. The older 400MHZ FSB Centrinos were I think 21 Watts.

So far as speed goes, I've seen several comparisions and the Centrino is most always faster than the Turion at the same clock speed (at least the 533FSB Sonoma version Centrino). But the Turion is close, and obviously it can run 64 bit applications. Does anyone know if there is any 64 bit software out there, and is Windows XP 64 bit available?

9. AMDemon

AMDemon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yet another reason not to go thru CompUSA is that you're able to get add'l discounts through HpShopping like APP or EPP, there's a couple of insignificant coupon codes floating around....AND, they'll refund any price changes for upto 30 days following delivery of your notebook.

10. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    :hp: For gaming performance, dv1000 or L2000

11. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At the AMD site, it say the L2000 would be available at the Sam's Club, should I wait for it to be available there cuz i think it would be alot cheaper at Sams. I prefer retail store

12. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It will be at Sams but I dont think it will be cheaper...

13. chen

chen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Will the L2000 come with 6-cell battery at Sam's if someone know plz tell me, i would like to have it with the 6-cell.

14. miner

miner Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    From my experiecnce, generally all HP laptops sold in retail have the lower spec battery. I would guess in the case of the L2000 it would probably be the 6 cell.

15. Rahul

Rahul I joined NBR in January 2005, how time flies!

Reputations:
    Well, if you do buy the L2000 from CompUSA this week, you do get some free stuff after savings and rebates like a printer and wireless router.

16. AMDemon

AMDemon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nah...it's IGP.

17. Trauty86

Trauty86 Newbie

Reputations:
    Got to see the L2000 at CompUSA today. It is very sharp.
    Strangely enough it looks and feels better than the V2000.
    It does not have an IR port, so those of you who were hoping
    to rig it up with the HP remote that fits in the PCI slot, myself
    included will be a little dissapointed. I did not know, or notice,
    that the bottom is corrugated, sort of like a short plastic heat sync.
    This should help to keep it much cooler in your lap than a Dv1000.

I am still at odds with myself over the battery life though. Sure
    there aren't many places you'll go anymore that you can't get
    into an outlet of some sort. But, being that it is not a desktop
    replacement that is intended to be more or less a space saver,
    this is designed to be taken around and used independent of
    a fixed power source. Two and a half hours seems a bit thin
    when you compre it to the three the Dv1000 usually gets.

There were people asking about removing the Livestrong logo on the lid.
    It is just paint, there is no raised surface. People earlier on the board
    suggested the use of acetone or paint thiner. I would not suggest this.
    Most solvents will melt plastic. You could try it on an older laptops USB
    labels or something, that is if you can live with a warped corner. Although
    I'm sure the plastic is of a high quality and will not deform without prolonged
    exposure, so if you do want to try it keep a damp rag on hand to wipe it down. I think the best be to get the logo off would be a razor blade to
    scrape it off like you would paint off a window.

All that said, If you don't need it now, wait. I can't imagine that HP will not
    soon be shipping the L2000 with MT series Turions. I also can't imagine Intel
    going long without dropping the price of the Pentium-M. If you are like me and
    don't need it untill the start of the spring semester, be patient and wait untill early August to place your order.

18. vorgusa

vorgusa Newbie

Reputations:
    I was curious if anyone has any information on the network card that comes with the L2000? It says that you can get bluetooth, but which version and class, do you think it will be the new version 2.0

19. mikec

mikec Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    An alternative to straight acetone/acetate is nail polish remover.

I have used this successfully on several devices with logo emblazened plastic and it works fine. You need to test an area, and do it gingerly, but it will work.

I have found razor blades to be the worst and most likely to damage the surface.

You can also try heat removal; a hot iron through a tshirt will sometime take off most of it, then clean up with nail polish remover.

20. vorgusa

vorgusa Newbie

Reputations:
    do you think it would be possible to take out the ML Turion and put in a MT that you get online... it cost around 275 but you could get the cheaper processor on the HP and save a little... Unfortunetly that would increase the price a lot. If you wanted the 1.8GHz it would be a full 200 dollars more... I hope they add the MT soon before I have to get a laptop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.