*HP HDX18 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by HDX18, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Glad to hear that things are going fine for you now with your laptop.I have done so many times disassembly of the laptop that the touch control bezel is now a piece of cake to put it right. It is hard in writing to show how to put it right but there a few things to check. The flat cable lighting the touch control bezel may have not been put at the right place creating a bump. The keybord top part may have not been pushed all the way in as it snaps in too. Loose also the screws of the power button cover and try again, if it goes inside then tie the screws again. As I said, it is not easy to explain in writing.

2. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Usually with the windows 10 upgrade it should work as windows 10 driver are compatible with the previous version of windows in this case windows 7.

3. Andrei80

Andrei80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, I will try that. I am a little concerned because the bezel seems easy to break and also because of touch controls.
    I also had the guy who solved the power problem change the thermal paste, but the results weren't great. The cpu/gpu were rising close to 90* C under heavy load(Prime+Furmark). Maybe the paste he used is not great...I have tried to have him put my AS5, but he said he has good stuff. I have undervolted the P8600 using CPUgenie to 0.987 at maximum clock(2400mhz) and that helped quite a bit, max temps dropped to about 80* under gaming. Wish it was cooler, but I am satisfied at the moment. Wish I could undervolt the GPU(9600m GT 1024 DDR2), but internet says that Nvflash isn't an option for the HP GPUs, as they are flash locked. Also, I wish they used DDR3 for the GPU on this VERY EXPENSIVE desktop replacement...that would have made the GPU about 20-25% faster...
    BTW, is HDX 18 one of those laptops where I could expect the GPU to unsolder from the mb, like the DV series?
    Also, I have replaced the original 320GB 5400RPM HDD with an 180GB Intel SSD Pro 1500. Shame the ports are only SATA2, but it still works very well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  4. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Andrei80.
    Regarding the Bezel it is pretty flexible and if you want to remove it and other things. (do not start by the bottom for the Bezel), a guitar pick works fine for me and doesn't damage or scratch anything as long it is thin and a bit flexible.
    90 Celsius seem a little bit high for me and for myself Artic Silver 5 is the best one I have used so far. There are some thermal pads that also need to be replaced when removing the Heatsink, some do this as a routine and some don't if they feel they are not too damaged.
    The cpu fan can also have some lint or dirt accumulated that can reduce the rotational speed of the fan resulting in an overheating problem although those laptop in many cases are known to overheat.

For your info DDR3 is used on the motherboard (519592-001) , GT130M, 1Gb VRAM,fitting the hp hDX18 1200 (I have this one). I had to buy some *Gb DDR3 Memory that were cheaper than the DDR2 ones.
    I have the Extreme CPU Qx9300 (2.53Ghz) and it used to run great before the accident .
    I damaged this motherboard with one of the copper shim going out of place and shortcut some contacts inside
    I presume you have the 496871-001, you can look it up under your memory, there is a sticker. This motherboard of yours should have 512 Mb Vram if I am not mistaken.
    I also use an SSD that makes the laptop flies, I mean used to fly...

I have no recall of a GPU getting unsoldered with those laptops as they tend to shut down if there is a problem or if they get too hot.
    If you want the best of the best of the hp hDX18, have this motherboard (519592-001) , have the extreme cpu qx9300 installed inside, have an SSD inside (I use Samsung) and your laptop will be flying.

5. Andrei80

Andrei80 Newbie

Reputations:
    I will not upgrade this laptop any further, I know about the version with gtx130 and Q9xxx, but those also have the upgraded cooling. It is a little too late for this cool but old laptop.I will however do the cheaper upgrades and improvements, as adding a ssd when I have had the occasion to buy a cheap one, change the thermal paste, do all the software improvements and such. Also, it is my work system, so I need it to be stable, I won't experiment on it much... Sorry you fried yours

6. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I felt after reading you , i may have offended you.
    ssorry about that, i did not mean to.

7. Andrei80

Andrei80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Not at all, you've been nothing but helpful. I'm just not going to mess with this laptop much, the huge screen and decent power are great for what I'm using it for. The fact that I can play some old games with it and I can watch YouTube in HD and with good sound is just a bonus. I'm using it for office work mainly and it's very good at that.
    You provided me with great information and I thank you for that

8. PetranEVO

PetranEVO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,

Even though i am searching through a lot of answers and replies i haven't find what i need.

I just received one, with T9600 and Nvidia 9600GT , 4GB of RAM , 1x SSHD 500GB and 1x HDD 320GB

What are the upgrades that can be made on this machine ?

Thank you.

9. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello.
    Congratulations for having one of those beautiful machines.
    You can go for 8GB of RAM and install an Extreme Processor Intel QX9300 (2.53GHZ) (That is the highest one) or Intel Q9100(2.26GHZ) or Intel Q9000 (2.00GHZ). All those processors are Quad.
    For the extreme one you have to use a Heatsink with a different reference number. I guess the design is slightly different because of the use of that extreme processor that can run really hot under very high load.
    I use SSDs on mine and I am happy with the performances I get compared to the regular HDDs.
    You can download the Service and Maintenance Manual for free from HP Website that can provide a lot of info.
    I hope this info can help.

Take care.

10. PetranEVO

PetranEVO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,and thank you.

You can change also the GPU ?