*HP HDX18 Owners Lounge*

Discussion in 'HP' started by HDX18, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evo112

evo112 Newbie

Reputations:
    The laptop originally came with a P8700, I was trying to install a Q9100 and I'm having difficulty in wondering why one motherboard would accept the Q9100 and why one would not boot with it.

2. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am sorry to not respond so quickly, I am working in Shanghai and we have 15 hours difference.
    The HDX 18T-1200 came with different configurations, the ones that I am familiar with are the NK146AV and the NK 148AV.
    At first glance and looking around for info, I think the CPU is not compatible with this motherboard since according to the HP Parts Store the motherboard can take and even accept the high end Quad-Core QX9300 processor.
    My 2 cents opinion is that when you upgraded to this motherboard, you were not given the correct information about CPU compatibility.
    Maybe you need to upgrade your CPU to get your baby back to life, I do not know what else to tell you.
    Try this link, you will get a lot of info about what was available for your computer. .
    HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts, HP Printer Parts and HP Compaq Parts

3. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Those are the Pics of the place where they did build the HDX 18 in shanghai and from there worldwide shipments were made.
    In Quanta Shanghai Manufacture City (QSMC) most of the common brands laptops of the world are made thereey build .
    I was told that they have more than 50000 people working there.
    It is like a small city by itself and each building has its own department for parts, assembly line, Quality Control, etc..
    Each brand has their own building and department.
    I have a pic with one of QSMC security guard and behind him are the trucks coming in and out loaded with computers.
    The HP computers are coming out from there after being loaded on the dock bay as you can see in one of the pics.
    IMG_8753.JPG IMG_8755.JPG IMG_8757.JPG IMG_8758.JPG IMG_8766.JPG IMG_8767.JPG

4. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    IMG_8751.JPG IMG_8764.JPG IMG_8786.JPG I have additional pictures that didn't get loaded the first time.
    I found interesting that many computers built in China are not available for the chinese market but are made for international customers.

5. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  6. Eliyah

Eliyah Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Look at Endless dreams post on january 4th (#7912 posting on the right side of the screen).
    I think he had the same issue as you do.:( regarding the CPU and the motherboard).
    Good Luck.:thumbsup:

7. agn727

agn727 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm new to this forum and could use some advice...

I got my HP HDX18t in September 2009. Product #NK625AV. Here are some specifics:

• Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P8700 (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    • 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) - For 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
    • 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M - For DDR3 Memory
    • 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
    • Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    • Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
    • Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
    • HP Integrated HDTV Hybrid Tuner
    • Full Size Backlit Keyboard

I used to get a new laptop at least once a year. But I've loved this one and haven't been tempted to upgrade all this time. Besides, new 18-inch notebooks aren't plentiful anymore.

I've never been a gamer, so playing movies is about as much demand as I put on it. I have noticed, however, that having several Adobe Flash-heavy websites open in Chrome at once red-lines my CPU, memory and temps. I'm hoping that maxing out the memory will alleviate that to some extent. But I'm still unsure what memory will work. 8GB max (2x4GB)? What speed? How many pins? Etc...? I'm hoping for something under $50, but it is what it is...

Also, any idea how to get replacement cables for the built-in TV tuner/capture card? I've lost mine...

Finally, my screen began flickering recently. Eventually, it stayed dark. It still drew the image onscreen as I could see it with a flashlight. So, I used it with an external monitor for a couple months until I found someone to put in a new inverter. He said it didn't fix the problem! But I guess he left the new part in - when I got home and turned it on it came to life. But it flickered a lot for about 15 minutes. It only flickers now when started from a cold boot, and that usually stops by the time Win7 is loaded. But I'm afraid it will die again soon. By the way, it is almost ALWAYS on...Any ideas what I should be preparing for?

Thanks for any insight anyone may offer. I really want to keep this running.

8. Jeff R 1

Jeff R 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Don't buy anything faster then 1333 MHz, the machine won't see anything faster then that, although many have put in 1600 MHz. Best buy your memory in matched pairs and stick to a good brand name like Crucial. Stick to DDR3 (that will have the correct number of pins) and 2 x 4GB will be recognized with a 64 bit OS.
    Buying more memory won't help with your over heating problems, it needs a good cleaning. You can use a can of compressed air to clean out the cooling fins, but most of the time there are trapped dust bunnies in there that can't be blown out with compressed air. Only a complete disassembly will clean it out properly and then new thermal grease (ICDiamond) can be applied. I am betting that the grease needs replacing anyway.

A flickering screen is serious, you've replaced the inverter, so the back-lights are going. They are replaceable, but they are very fragile to work with. Most will just replace the screen _ this is very difficult on an HDX, the screen is glued in there with this double sided 3M sticky tape and is very difficult to remove. Some have used dental floss to break the seal and I have used a very hot hair drier to soften the adhesive to carefully pry back the front bezel.
    If you can find a complete new-old-stock screen assembly from eBay that would be best. Buying a used screen assembly is just a temp solution as it will eventually succumb to you state.
    If you do replace the screen, buy a new cable as well, it's more cost effective just to replace it because they do wear out where it runs by the hinge area.

The replacement TV Tuner cable is hard to find, sometimes you can find them on eBay, they were only sold as a customized laptop in the US and the option was expensive, so few are available.
    If you're in the US and you're probably are, you may be able to get one from HP, I'll check and see and report back. It's easier for me to look up the part number (if I can find it) and let you know.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01705400.pdf

Look on page 3-6 482900-001 or 482900-002. one is Female and the other on isn't _ choose which one that you need.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts, HP Printer Parts and HP Compaq Parts

Hewlett-packard TV tuner antenna - 482900-001

482900-002 - TV Tuner Antenna For Hewlett-packard (HP) Computers

New HP Pavilion DV4 1000 TV Tuner Antenna with F PAL Jack 482900 001 | eBay

This is still available on Amazon surprisingly.

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion dv8t Quad Edition series - FULL HD (1080) - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Quad Core i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB), 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M, 3GB DDR3 System Memory, 250GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Dri

If you're going to get that, you would be better of with a Dell, but that would be a gaming laptop and I don't think it has a TV Tuner.

Alienware Gaming Laptops

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    I'm posting now because I know NBR rules permit it because I have a bona fide ad in marketplace. I'm selling my DV8 - see ad in NBR Marketplace here with great ambivalence, but changes in my life and health have made a DTR no longer useful to me and I can no longer carry it from room to room as a portable Media Entertainment Center!

I am a refugee from the DV8-t thread! I had an HDX16 that was stolen out of my backpack in October 2009 and literally the day I went to order an HDX18 as its replacement, they took all HDXs off the web site and then some weeks later put the DV8 up with little fanfare even though it was simply the HDX18 without the "halo" of the HDX brand and, to owners great dismay, not backlit keyboard. It did have the advantage of the 1st gen Core i7 Quad cpus, a slightly better gpu (nVidia 230 w/1GB RAM) and the black keys with white lettering were more comfortable to some than the silver/blue - during the daytime!

My DV8 is as pristine as the day I took it out of the HP box. It has rarely left my home and never dropped or even scraped. It had what amounts to a mfr refurbish in January, just as my extended Care Pack was expiring, and they replaced the HDD, wifi card, keyboard, screen and performed what they said was a fix for the row of touch keys causing the wifi to switch on and off. I have only used it a few times since getting it back and it performs as flawlessly as ever. The thorough cleaning brought cpu/gpu temps down 10+ degrees C and the screen and sound are as impressive as ever. Mine is loaded with blu ray, tv tuner, 8GB RAM and I have a 160GB SSD I bought to takeover as main hard drive for programs and relegate the HDD to files, but never got the chance.

I just wanted to let those who most appreciate this "unsung hero" of a machine that mine is for sale and it is truly a prime specimen of one. I have priced it at $525, which is the low end of the median of comparable DV8 and HDX18 sales on eBay in the past 3 months. Actually, it surprised me to see how high resale prices remain. I guess its a testimony to how special this model is and perhaps how many owners whose machines developed too many problems are looking to replace them.

In any event, have a look-see, PM me any questions, and, well, thanks for any help you might be able to provide. I'm kinda sad to be having to sell this but I have no choice. Best, Jeff Bellin

10. a5612

a5612 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I'm experience problems with X18-1013TX that I acquired recently.

I can't seem to get windows 7 to install at all. Infact I can't get any OS to install on it. The best I can get is Linux running off USB drive.

I have tried 2 sets of ram both pass memtest and 2 hard drives that also pass tests.

I've manually updated the bios as well and still no luck.

When I run windows 7 from boot it goes through windows is loading files and goes to starting windows and just stops and nothing happens.

I have tried using DVD and even putting it on USB stick but nothing works.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.