*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Exactly. Just update them. Install 3.5 if you need it and don't have it.

No worries. Walk good.

2. tototrix

tototrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have recently updated my hdx with a new motherboard and a new graphic card (8800M GTS dedicated to HDX).

Both worked great but i have noticed that the motherboard wasn't up to date with the bios (F35).

So i have decided to update the bios to F39 version.

The operation was sucessfull but when i have reboot my HDX the screen stay black and nothing appened.

I have decided to put my old graphic card (2600xt) and with this card my hdx boot without problem.

Few questions ?:
    * My 8800M is dead ?
    * I'am a stupid?
    * Is it possible that the bios of the 8800M GTS was destroyed?
    * Have you ideas?

NB: I have tried to return to F35 bios but the same problem appeared:
    2600xt work but not the 8800M GTS.

Please hellppppppppp !!!

Thanks all.

3. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what procedures did you follow, when you updated the bios? this is important.

i hope you had it on ac power and did not unplug it or turn it off. sounds like u didnt, just asking.

4. kindheart

kindheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The motherboard you bought was probably one that originally had the ATI and was then successfully upgraded to the 8800M GTS prior to selling it. The bios update has inside (when you manually unpack it) code for both graphics cards and during setup it reads somewhere on the mobo (SBIOS?), it seems, to determine which branch to apply (kind of a "cookie"). My guess that in your case the wrong branch was applied, but you are still fortunate to be able to run the hdx into Windows using your old ATI card. Do you have another "virgin" machine/compatible mobo to test the 8800M?

Edit: Although different, this message describes distantly "related" issues:
    http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/25845-toshiba-ati-to-nvidia-9600m-gt-update
    another one: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=5635247

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    Strange.

Remove the CMOS battery for 10 mins. Then see if it starts up with the 8800M in it after that. If it does, then reflash it to f39.

Trouble might be that when you flashed the BIOS, it thought you had an ATI card in it. It's a separate file in the flash for ATI. IF the BIOS was reporting that an ATI card was in when you had the 8800M, it would flash the BIOS with the ATI ROM.

This may have been the case seeing how high your temps for the 8800M were.

6. tototrix

Reputations:

If it's the case (ATI Rom instead of NVIDIA Rom during flash) what does it mean ? : My 8800M has now a wrong bios, my 8800M is dead ?

If my 8800M is not dead, how can i put a good rom with noting on screen during boot ?
    I haven't an other HDX to try my 8800M....

Is a special method exist to "force" the bios to be flashed with the NVIDIA rom ????

I will try to remove the cmos battery during 10mn.

Others ideas ??????

7. tototrix

Reputations:
    I would like to understand what is appening during bios flashing:

* During the flashing, data are only written into the motherboard ? No data is written into the video card ?

* You said that a choice is made between the ati and the nvidia during bios flashing by reading something. This choice is made under windows during the flash or when you reboot the hdx (after the flash is finished)?
    ------->If i try again to flash to F39 (with the ati card into the hdx)and when the flash is finished under windows: If a change the graphic card to the 8800M before to reboot the hdx, do you think that i have a chance to solve the problem ?

Please !!!! :(

8. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just thinking through this (and, yes, it's early in the morning so I might not be thinking clearly), how would one change the GPU card then, on system boards that can take either? I mean, if your board only has ONE video BIOS loaded, and you take out the ATI and put in the nVidia, how do you re-flash for nVidia? You've now got an nVidia card in a system with an ATI BIOS, so you, like the OP, have a black screen. It seems a bit of a catch 22.

Now, I have read before (and I think 2.0 even stated) that on some system boards you can switch from ATI to nVidia. But, given this logic that the system board has a "flag bit" set for ATI, how would one ever flash to nVidia?

It seems the OP did the right steps. Seems very odd...

9. kindheart

kindheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Simply don't flash! The OP had the NVIDIA working fine until he decided to upgrade bios f.35 to f.39. Had he not done this unnecessary step he would still have had a working 8800M on a mobo that originally had an ATI.

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    Three problems.

1. Saying, "simply don't flash" is, well, silly.

2. His mobo DIDN'T originally have an ATI in it. It was a new mobo.

3. His Nvidia card wasn't fine. His temps were out of range. He was concerned as was looking for a solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.