*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

It's $199 on Ebay for the $120. What did you originally pay for it? Also is there a better brand you can update AND have no problems with the matrix storage manager and such in Windows 7?

Yea I'll bet:) Mhmm I'll keep that in mind.

I love the addons, and IE doesn't compare in that regard..besides also in speed, but yea I guess it may be more stable and have an easier time viewing some pages over others.
    Scrolling through a bunch of tabs can suck, though I use the right side scroll of the touch pad to make it quicker, what are you talking about with regard to bookmarks? I use XMarks to save/sync my bookmarks.

3. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    $360 each for the 120GB from Zipzoomfly in June. Less rebate of $30.

I wouldn't trust the one's off ebay @ that price ($199). If you do get one off ebay at a normal price of around $370+, you will need access to a Desktop computer with SATA so you can update the firmware to 1.40. THat update is Win7 TRIM compliant. However, if you buy the drive new from a retailer, it will come with 1.40 pre-installed.

You don't need the Matrix Storage Manager nor Intel Chipset driver with windows7 and SSD. It blocks Trim commands to the drive. Vertex in win7 is trouble free. Just set it up (disable defrag and indexing) and forget.

It'll work fine in Vista with Matrix Storage Manager since there's no TRIM in Vista. To Trim you run wiper.exe. You can get that program off OCZ's forum.

You haven't played with IE8 on win7. BTW, IE8 has addons too.

I'm saying, instead of opening up so many webpages, just bookmark them and call them up when you really need to. When done, close them down. There's really no need to have so many webpages up all the time.

4. NordicPC

NordicPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Unless you want to of course. ;)

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    Indeed. That is, if you don't mind Firefox crashing all the time.

6. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i guess they must be certain kind of intensive tabs like video or what not. are you using firefox portable or regular firefox, Dominoes?

7. NordicPC

Reputations:
    I don't use Firefox, I use IE 8 and have no issues with crashing. I thought Firefox was the end all be all? I support users that swear by it yet I keep hearing about issues with it and when they complain I tell them stop using something that causes you so much pain, they don't listen, they're like OS X users that way. :D

Use IE 8, all is well, now prior to IE 8, whole different ball game but I find IE 8 works very well and on my machines at least very snappy.

8. 2.0

Reputations:
    Agreed. IE8 is at the top of its game. I've been exploring it more now that I have win7 installed. Only option I wish existed was for the ability to not use a cache. So, I simply had to move the cache off the SSD and onto the 2nd HDD.

Looking forward to IE9 with graphics acceleration.

9. NordicPC

Reputations:
    I was one of those who defended Vista, I honestly didn't have that many issues with it, mostly it just didn't like to run for more than a few days without a reboot for my laptops. But switching to Windows 7 has been a very nice change, much better response from the system, much better memory management... I digress this was about IE, agreed, I hope they continue the trend with IE 9, we'll see how it goes!

10. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    2.0 or anyone...has anyone successfully installed an Atheros based wireless card in the HDX? How is the Intel 5300 working with Win7? Is it worth upgrading the 4965? I'm converting part of my garage to an office get-away and I'm exploring range issues/fixes in advance. Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.