*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Indeed, Lancorp went from a T8100 (2.1ghz with 3mb L2 cache) to an X9000 (2.8ghz with 6MB L2 cache). Of course there would be a difference. T8100 and X9000 also have different speedsteps.

For example, at step 4 (a middle step), the T8100 would be at a lower clock speed than a X9000 at the same step. But T9300, T9600 and X9000 all have the exact same clocks at the same steps until you reach the last step (100% CPU util).

I never mentioned that an X9000 would make a diff in games since games are predominately GPU dependent. Where it would make a difference is CPU intensive apps that run at 100% CPU utilization. Like encoding and benchmarking. But to notice the difference from where you are now CPU-wise (T9300, 2.5Ghz), you'd have to get out a precision stopwatch.

But you likely won't believe it until you try. Which means you'll be all the more disappointed having built up in your mind the notion that it an X9000 is so much faster than a T9300.

You don't need one that big. You only need to run the OS and your most important apps off the SSD. SSD's strength is in it read speed and fast small writes. That's how it speeds up your system. Sure it writes large files many times faster than a harddrive. But the more you write to them and erase (very large files specifically), the shorter their life. No point in writing movies or other large files of that nature to the SSD. Besides, since movies/music are read off storage at a relative slow speed, there's nothing to be gained reading off an SSD. But when the OS needs to buffer or do other storage operations while a movie/music is playing, you'll be happy you have the OS on an SSD at those times. Think about why? Let's say you have both the OS and movie on a HDD. when the OS needs the HDD, it has to move the HDD's head to the points on the platter where the other data is located, get some of it, move the head back to where the movie is to fill more of the buffer, then move it back to where other parts of the data it is looking for, then back, etc., etc. all this at a relatively slow seek speed.

Slap the OS on an SSD, movie on storage, and none of that takes place. CPU grabs what it needs off the superfast SSD WHILE still playing the movie off the HDD. No head jumping about on the platter to go find and read off or write data for other non-movie playing activities that occur in the background.

So a good combo is 60GB or 120GB SSD (1st bay) + 500GB 7200RPM (second bay) +eSATA storage.

You honestly don't need more than a 60GB SSD since you're only loading the OS and most used apps on it. I'm only using up about 35gigs on my 120GB SSD. But my second bay HDD is using up +100GB with an OS, games and media on it. I like the head room though. So if you plan on filling up more than 40GB on the SSD, you're better off with the 120. Certainly won't need a 256 GB version though.

That's the other thing, to install games to the 2nd HDD, always choose custom install. Beforehand, create a directory on the 2nd HDD called Games (to keep things tidy) and install to that directory. Not that you can't install games on the SSD. All the SSD would do for games in reduce load times.

They never intended Firefox to be used in such a manner. (re, 100 tabs open.) LOL, who does that? :D

You might also want to turn off browser.cache.memory.enable.

There's 4-4-4-12 RAM out there. But it won't make a dent. Only improvement to be had is to overclock the FSB (front side bus). But it's not possible with the HDX due to the locked PLL and hidden circuit components for hard modding. And even if it were, you'd have to hope the RAM is able to take it without errors. As with all overclocking, YMMV, per RAM stick, per manufacturer.

2. DuX

DuX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what panel type is used in the HDX's, specifically the 1920x1200 ones? I'm talking TN, IPS, PVA....

3. 2.0

Reputations:
    It's CMO = Chi Mei.

4. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He had at least two HDXs I thought, and one had a higher spec'd processor though I could be wrong.

I thought I read articles that said there were some that were more CPU intensive. I was thinking about getting an HDX with a 2.8GHZ CPU and WSXGA, likely to just sell for Ebay points, but that way I could check both the screen differences and CPUs. If I don't notice it, then I'll concede:)

Awesome stuff! Thanks! I find with all the software I install and use I'd likely need the larger 120GBs. I used to do that set up with the two hard drives, using one for installations, and the other for storage, but sometimes I'd forget to do custom install to select the driver and would mess it up. I was also doing dual boots on two different Hard drives so it made doing that difficult. Sounds good though thanks!

Who does that? Me obviously!:) Lol. I tried the browser cache thingy but it didn't do that much. I'm thinking if I could shut off unneeded services running in the background it might help? Does the RAID thingy need to be running? And if I turn off Bluetooth from startup can I bring it back up via the Start menu? I thought I tried unchecking it from the startup, but it still comes back to the task tray. Ah ok I'll just stick with the GSkills then. I wonder if anyone in the forum has tried memory with that speed. Thanks for explaining.

5. tototrix

tototrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi everyone,

I have recently updated my motherboard with a 8800M GTS (instead of a 2600xt). It works perfectly but i have noticed a high temperature of my 8800.

58°C in idle;
    82->85°C in game.

Can you post me your temps to compare ?
    Is this normal ?

Thanks

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Idle 44-48 DegC

Hi temps 69-71 DegC with overclock.

7. CompTrekkie

CompTrekkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My 8800 GTS runs:

44-47C Idle.

65-70C OC'd gaming.

Depends on ambient temps. It varies from time of day and different rooms.

8. 2.0

Reputations:
    Nope, it was an T8100. He bought an HDX 9494NR and updated it.

There are no CPU intensive graphic games. There are games that use more CPU than others. Such as those that have their own physics and particle engines or some RTS games. But if it has 3D, it's GPU intensive. That's why ALL 3D games play better with more powerful GPUs.

You'll love it when you get around to it. Personally, I wouldn't waste time with any other upgrade. Or rather, that's the first upgrade I'd make. An SSD makes that big of a difference. You really get your money's worth. A la, bang for your buck.

None of that's going to help since firefox is not well programmed. Memory hogging and memory leaking. It's a flaw they won't fix because I suppose they didn't conceive that people would be running more than say, 10 tabs. The grand majority of people never run into the issue since they use a few tabs and close the browser down when done. So it appears for that reason it's not on their to do list to fix.

IE8 is better for that sort of thing.

9. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Very similar to 2.0's. Probably a silly question, but did you thoroughly clean your unit when you had it apart? And did you apply thermal compound to your GPU...also, too much or too little could give undesired results.

What drivers are you using? Shouldn't make THAT much of a difference, but it could help some. Your temps aren't in the emergency range by any means, but certainly caution range, and anything that could be done to lower them should probably be attempted. Good luck. :)

10. tototrix

tototrix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thanks for your response,

My bios version : F35
    My driver version from nvidia : the last in date.
    And yes i have installed thermal compound.

Perhaps i have to clean my fans and heatsink?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.