*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RemyL75

RemyL75 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, after just recently reloading all of the software back onto my Dragon, I can say that i got everything work right again. So I have a few questions for you that will help me to understand what's going on...

1. What is the sp number for Quickplay that you are using? Mine is SP38361.

2. Did you install QuickLaunch? I ask that because thst is the actual drivers for the QuickTouch buttons. You need that installed before you install QuickPlay or QuickTouch.

3. What is the sp number for the version of QuickTouch you are using? The one I'm using is SP37799.

4. What audio Driver are you using for the Dragon. I am using the original one on HP's site for Vista x64. It's SP40438.

I am having none of the problems you mentioned. QuickPlay works fine for my machine (no hangups or freezing). My Bass/Treble controls work fine too (I even went as far as to open up the sound properties and go to the on-screen sliders for the bass and treble and move then with the controls to see if they responded. Both checked out.) and the OSD for the volume. bass and treble comes up and goes away as it should. So I think you may have incorrect versions of your software that runs those things. I hope this helps.

Also, What version of Windows 7 are you using and what version of the Dragon do you have??

2. RemyL75

Reputations:
    Yeah, but why would it only act weird when installing under Home Premium. I installed from the same location each time. I installed the drivers in the same order each time (Intel chipset, Imtel Matrix, IDT Audio, etc.). I will throw a backup drive in and work on this. Because now I REALLY wanna know what's going on.

What do you mean when you push it too much??

3. RemyL75

Reputations:
    Hey Snaak,
    it's basically what goldpianogarden said. You can use the Vista x64 drivers in Windows 7 x64 and they will work perfectly. Also, there is a short guide on page 680 (post #6791) that tells you which drivers to use and what order to install them in to have everything working under Windows 7 x64. Good luck.

4. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Having 8GBs of ram would help with most of that, especially things that lag that are heavy on the machine like the volume setting box thing. 8GBs of ram rocks for manyt things! With 4GBs of ram it lags like crazy and takes forever to go away. With 8GBs of ram it's fine. It would likely also help with the laggy QuickPlay as well. Lancorp I think may still have 2x4GB GSkill memory modules left or you can find some on Ebay. I'd tell you about mine but I sold the last one last week. If you want a quick fix for the QuickTouch volume box without 8GBs of ram here's a copy and paste from 2.0:

It's choppy because of the onscreen display. Best thing to do is to get rid of it. Here's how:

Type msconfig in the start menu search box.
    Click the startup tab
    Uncheck HP onscreen display.
    Hit ok
    click boot tab
    check make all boot setting permament
    click ok
    reboot.

No you won't have any problems with the volume slider.

If you want a cool but small onscreen display that doesn't have any problems, download one of Microsoft's multimedia keyboard drivers (like natural multimedia keyboard or the wireless 7000 )from the following site:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK

Enjoy.

Unless of course it's copyrighted then in that case I'll say I posted it with a gun to my head:) I find the lag starts up with 4GBs of ram after you install like two things in the task tray, like an AV and Firewall or Spyware software.

Someone resolved the bass and treble but I can't remember who or where it is but I did save these two things, maybe it'll be helpful:

Post#8393

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=169232&page=840

Windows 7 installation order (all tested on W7 HP x86 and working fine):
    1. NVIDIA GeForce - Win7 64-bit - 186.81
    2. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility - Win2000, WinXP, Vista, Win7 32-bit and 64-bit - v9.1.1.1019
    3. Intel Matrix Storage Manager - WinXP, Vista, Win7 32-bit and 64-bit - v8.9.0.1023
    4. Marvell 88E8055 LAN - Win2000, WinXP, Vista, Win7 32-bit and 64-bit Multi-Language Installer for Yukon Devices - v11.22.4.3
    5. Intel PRO-Wireless 4965AGN Drivers Only - Win7 64-bit - 13.0.0.107
    6. Synaptics TouchPad Driver - WinXP, Vista, Win7 64-bit - v14.0.3
    7. AVerMedia A301, A312 TV Tuner Card Driver - Vista 32-bit and 64-bit - v1.7.0.89_1.0.0.61 (SP38987)
    8. ITE 8305 CIR Remote Driver - Vista 32-bit and 64-bit - v5.0.4.2 A (SP37925)
    9. Ricoh R5C833 ORI Card Reader (SP36423)
    10. Silicon Image - Storage - Silicon Image SiI 3531 - (Windows update)
    11. HP Quick Play 3.7
    12. HP Quick Launch Buttons - 6.50.7.1 (SP45889 (EDIT: HERE IT IS)
    For properly working bass\treble sensors right before uninstalling standard sound drivers (with or without IDT, but I strongly recommend 'with') you must turn off your ethernet card (wifi, wire or whatever you have). After you uninstalled everything as listed above you must downloadl IDT STAC9271 - Vista 32-bit and 64-bit - v6.10.5607.0 B (SP40438), unpack it and set every .exe file in WDM\Vista, HDQFE\SRVRTEM and HDQFE\SRVSP1 folders as compatible with vista OS (incl setup.exe)

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Dominick S <dominick7@gmail.com> wrote:

Eclypse3D

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=169232&page=680

POST# 6791
    Notebook Enthusiast

Default Re: *OFFICIAL: HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike t View Post
    What is your entire load sequence and what are your driver sources/sp's? With this info, I'll reload Win 7 and see if I can get everything to work.

The BIOS F40 killing HDX's is well documented in this lounge. If you are new and are thinking of updating to F40, you might want to do a search within the lounge.
    Installed Win 7 64BIT
    Shut off Wifi
    Installed the following in order.
    Chipset software - (SP36881)
    MAtrix Storage - (SP38088)
    Audio - (SP40438)
    TV TUNER - (SP38987)
    Fingerprint reader - (SP37920)
    Digital persona - (SP40216) (if the correct driver above is used should ask to run setup for enrollment)
    Bluetooth - (SP38167) (if you dont you dont get BT Stereo support)
    IR control - (SP37925)
    Graphics (Nvidia) - (SP38393) (note nvidia has updated drivers on their site)
    Ricoh Card reader (windows update ones work as well) SP36423
    Synaptics Touch pad (windows update ones work as well) SP37065
    HP Quickplay (SP38361) (after you connect to the internet launch QP and download latest update from there)
    Quick Launch update (SP38171)
    Quick Touch SP37799 (installed but is quirky but works)
    Cyberlink quick cam software (SP37849)

After all the reboots etc from the above I turned on the wifi (or connect via lan) to the internet
    and ran windows update, make sure to manually sellect the updates and do not take the
    Fingerprint drivers. I did not see any quick touch update so.

Only thing not working like I said is the tv button above the keyboard, but all the other
    stuff including fingerprint reader, and enrollments are working. The tv tuner does however
    launch via the remote which is funny, but I think there is a quick launch app that allows
    you to map the buttons so it may be easy to fix.

Current rig:
    Asus G72GX RBBX05 | P8700 @2.88Ghz | 6GB DDR2 | 500GB Seagate HDD | Nvidia Geforce GTX 260m 1GB DDR3 | 17.3" LG 1600x900 LED LCD

Credit goes to them of course.

5. Dominick_7

Reputations:
    I dunno man, good question. I just posted a couple of install instructions left by others in the forum so maybe that will help...? As in have 100+ tabs opened in Firefox, a bunch of addons, watch tv via my Hauppauge PVR and or Comcast DVR on my HDX, and or burn a movie at the same time:) Yea I'm regretful I didn't get the 2.8GHZ processor for it as I thought I'd be. There's also SSDs so that's something else I can look into too at some point. First I need a server for my movies and a 2.8GHZ CPU.

6. brentatent12

brentatent12 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello all,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in regard to 8GB RAM, is this the same type of G.Skill memory Dom mentioned a few posts ago? 8GB (2 x 4GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231210&cm_re=G.Skill-_-20-231-210-_-Product.

Also, would this work as well? Crucial 8GB DDR2 SDRAM Memory Module - 8GB (2 x 4GB) - 667MHz DDR2-667/PC2-5300 - Non-ECC - DDR2 SDRAM - 200-pin SoDIMM: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KI...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260415162&sr=8-1 Hope this helps!

Happy Holidays,
    Brent

7. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yes and yes!

8. Dominick_7

Reputations:

Yea I believe they should work. I know the clock speed for the GSkills are 5-5-5-15, but I don't know what they are with the Crucial ones though.

9. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    I know, you won't believe it until you get it, but in your situation, a 2.8ghz won't make a dent. When you get one, you'll see. At first you'll think it's making a difference but the placebo effect will wear off quick.

You're best bet is an SSD since you do a lot of IO. HDD is your bottleneck.

A 60GB vertex SSD in my tablet which has a 2.1ghz Turion Ultra II runs noticeably faster for most tasks than my HDX with 2.5ghz when it's running off win7 OS on the 2nd 320Gb 7200rpm HDD.

Reason why is because Windows is constantly loading or accessing programs, libraries and DLL's. It's also moving things around, caching, indexing, optimizing, etc.

An SSD's super fast small writes and super small seek times dramatically improves upon these processes.

Also, here's a tip for improving firefox's perfromance since you use tab mix plus: turn off disk caching.

Type in about:config in the address bar. Set browser.cache.disk.enable to false.

10. Dominick_7

Reputations:
    Maybe you're right for some normal processes, and placebo, but you did mention it would show a difference at 100% processing, like in games, and I believe Lancorp said he noticed the difference in that it was noticeably spunkier than the other CPU. I've seen video on SSD's performance and you're right, they're crazy fast. I guess they're up to 512GBs now, which I see you can put in Eurocoms server notebook for over a $1000. I'm DEFINITELY trying the Firefox cache thing because this browser has been driving me insane with crashes that go from every 2-4 hours. It's like from 3.0 it just went down hill. It NEVER did this before. I'll see what that does, thanks! You know of any memory modules that would be even faster in clocking speed than then GSkills that WOULDN'T slow down because of some other incorrect spec? Mine work fine, but I'm always checking out ways to speed things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.