*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kindheart

kindheart Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BD-R burning of 25GB data (because not all burning projects are for a full 25GB) at full sustained 2x takes about 45 minutes to complete. It can take longer on a 2x drive if speed fluctuates/reverts to 1x during the burning, such as what happens when one is using cheaper uncertified disks.

Wikipedia: For DVD, base speed, or "1x speed", is 1.385 MB/s, equal to 1.32 MiB/s, approximately 9 times faster than a CD's base speed. For Blu-ray, drive base speed is 6.74 MB/s, equal to 6.43 MiB/s at 1x.

2. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    and some of these bd discs are 5x. can you imagine a 5x burner? burning a whole bd in let's say 18 minutes. crazy i say.

3. RemyL75

RemyL75 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey Guys. I found something "weird" with my Dragon that i thought i should share with you.

OK, this is my busy season (I build/repair/rebuild PCs and laptops. Laptop rebuilds are a new thing I added in the last 6 months, but I digress.), and I have been getting a lot of orders for laptops (10 so far since Dec. 1). I have noticed that the number of processes and memory usage for Windows 7 Home Premium are significantly less than those for Windows 7 Ultimate immediately after a clean install (no drivers or extra software.) So, I decided to try and install Windows 7 Home Premium on the Dragon. Everything went fine.... until i tried to install the sound driver. No matter what i did or how I did it, I could not get treble/bass controls. I thought maybe i was missing a step or something. I used sp40438 for the sound drivers, same as always. I even unpacked them and set the setup.exe compatability to Windows Vista SP1. But it still didn't give me those controls. After 3 tries, no treble/bass with Home Premium.

So I remembered that 2.0 used Windows 7 Professional. I decided to try that and see if there was a difference. Sure enough, as soon as I installed the sound drivers and restarted, I had treble/bass controls.
    Has anyone run across this before??

4. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    sounds strange.

5. RemyL75

Reputations:
    Very Strange. On the plus side, after installing Professional the processes are down around where i wanted them. So I guess it worked out after all.

6. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. Dominick_7

Reputations:

Weird. I noticed limitations between the different Vistas, but can't say much in comparison with Windows 7. I did find a difference in installing drivers from the desktop for some items worked where as installing from elsewhere caused problems sometimes. Can't remember what it was that did that or which Windows 7 version it occurred though.

8. RemyL75

Reputations:
    I have noticed that too. But I usually have the drivers on a second HDD or a thumb drive. But I have never seen a version difference that effected hardware like this. And i watched it the last 2 times it tried to install it. I did notice that with Home Premium, it removed it completely then it came back as high definition device on audio bus, then it changed to Sigmatel Audio, then finally it changed to IDT Audio. So maybe it took something out like a knowledge base file or something.

9. Dominick_7

Reputations:
    Same here, but Ive gotten into the habit of putting it on my desktop from the hard drive or external hard drive. I know some stuff that isn't made for Vista only installs correctly if you install it from the desktop and either to the C drive or to its own folder on the C drive. One thing I need to do this with is Yahoo Site Builder that I use for web design. Hmm that is really weird man. One thing that has frustrated me is I'm finding if I push the HDX too much things in the knowledge base can get corrupted or go missing. I dunno maybe. Maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

10. goldpianogarden

goldpianogarden Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    To my knowledge, HP has no intent to make Windows 7 drivers for our laptop. However, the Vista drivers seem to work perfectly. However, I've NEVER been able to get QuickPlay to work right. If I try using it, sometimes it freezes my computer, if I try to use the "tap/slider" volume control, the little volume screen pops up on screen and then will NOT go away, etc. If I have QuickPlay running, I can't close it out. It ignores my efforts to get it to go away. I've reinstalled the QuickPlay drivers, done all the updates, etc., and it still is a headache. And the treble and bass controls don't work with Windows 7, unless I've overlooked a post where that problem was resolved. So, other than the QuickPlay thing, everything else on the laptop works smoothly with Windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.