*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:

There are some reviews on this site with some very good good pictures of the HDX. Click the Notebook Reviews tab above and search HDX.

There was also an excellent review of the HDX on the web but I don't remember the URL. You could try googling DRAGON giveaway contest to find it.

2. 2.0

Reputations:
    The problem with the Nvidia GPUs in not just the max heat but the range of temps. The 8400M/8600M have been reported to run in the high 90's then cool all the way back to the mid 50's/low 60's (their idle temps). The defective material they are made of breaks down with this wide temperature range (almost like a freeze-thaw cycle.) The HDX on the other hand, goes from an idle of low/mid 40's to a gaming high of 60's/low 70's. Far away from the breaking point of >90C and less of a temp swing. Also the lower idling puts significantly less stress on the GPU and the die material.

So let's sake for the sake of argument that Nvidia used the same defective die material as on the 8400M/8600M. The likelihood of failure is very low to not probable given the top operating temp and temp range of the GPU thanks to the efficient cooling of the HDX.

That said, always monitor temps. If the top temps seems to be creeping up over time (and they likely will), clean out the radiator fins with a vacuum or compressed air and you'll be back in business.

3. 2.0

Reputations:

Or you can just get a 64bit version of Home premium and you're good. It will use and report 4GB or more of RAM unlike the 32bit which only reports 4GB RAM but can't use more than about 3.2GB.

4. lancorp

lancorp Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not to worry...my guess is the deep discounts are a sign of either a discontinuation of the model, or (more likely) an upgrade to support Centrino2 is coming
    and they want to clear out old inventory.

Then, those of us that just bought our HDX's can cry!;)

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    There was no way to foresee the price drop. If you recall, I was waiting for HP to come out with Centrino 2 version. I would have paid about 3 grand for it. But when I saw the price drop and the $450 off coupon, I had to think about what I'd be getting for the extra $1000 of a newer Centrino 2 model.

Had I known in the spring that HP wouldn't be coming out with a Centrino 2 based HDX then, I wouldn't have waited.

So don't feel bad.

In our hearts, the HDX is priceless. :D

6. lancorp

Reputations:
    Oh, it is definitely known for sure that there will be no HDX? I'd have thought they would be improving the model!

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    A reliable source told me that the HDX would become a line like Dell's XPS. (So far, there is an HDX desktop.) The 20" would very likely be discontinued in favor of a new 18.4". No word on when the 18.4" will out. There will be a 15" and 17" HDX sometime either towards the end of the year or early next year.

8. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, I remember. In retrospect, I was about to pull the trigger on building a desktop, and rely on the XPS Gen2 for traveling, mainly because I wanted a bigger screen for gaming. But when I saw the HDX upgraded to the 8800, even if mobile version, I said to myself, "Self, you now can have the best of both worlds, at home and on the road". So it's not that I truly regret not delaying the purchase, only makes me feel like I could have had...2 of these wondrous beasts! :D

9. lancorp

Reputations:
    I've looked at the three reviews here for the HDX, and none of them seem to address the AC adapter that comes with the HDX.

The Dell XPS M2010 that I have has a monsterous 150W supply, and I did not know what the HP required when I placed my order.

After researching, I discovered it requires an even more monsterous 180W supply. How big is the "brick" used with the HDX?

I'm a big fan of the Kensington ultra-thin and light universal adapters, and was disappointed that i wouldn't be able to use my 120W adapter with the HDX.

(Or, can I?...is the jack on the HDX a standard HP jack or something odd to keep people from plugging in a lower wattage adapter? If it's standard, what happens if I were to plug in the 120W adapter? On my M2010, a lower wattage adapter powers the unit to run, but won't charge the battery...)

10. lancorp

Reputations:
    true, true...Like my Dell M2010...those baby's go for $3K or more, but from the Dell Outlet, I've been very lucky to pickup good-as-new condition units with dual hard drives for $1000! That really gives one a warm-and-fuzzy feeling inside! I actually have two M2010's right now, but one is mostly sold and on it's way out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.