*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crys

crys Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy a HDX in France. There is good deal actually on this product.
    Some questions :
    - is the graphic card MXM size ?
    - is there some problem with NVidia GPU (like some others type of notebook) ?
    - is it a noisy product ?

Thanks a lot to reply me.

Crys ;-)

2. CyberVisions

CyberVisions Martian Notebook Overlord

Reputations:
    Scott,
    On the bag issue, hate to say it, but - not likely. I bought a new Targus 17" case (roomy) when I was in Cali in May, but primarily as a soft briefcase more than anything else. My HDX wouldn't even come close to fitting. Works good for my daughter's new ASUS, though, so she was at least happy about that.

The HDX dimensions are:

Width 47.5 cm | 18.70 in
    Depth 33.9 cm | 13.35 in
    Height 5.9 cm | 2.32 in

RAM -You're right - 2 SODIMM slots PC2-5300, 667-MHz, DDR2.
    Memory configurations are:
    ● 4096-MB total system memory (2048 MB × 2)
    ● 3072-MB total system memory (2048 MB + 1024 MB)
    ● 2048-MB total system memory (1024 MB × 2)
    ● 1024-MB total system memory (512 MB × 2)

Drives - I do use both, as I'm used to using 2 internals on my desktop with a 3rd external Firewire. The way HP configures (at least my particular setup with 2 320gb SATA's) the drives is essentially one drive is for Programs, executables, User files, etc. the secondary if for data and is where the Recovery Partition is created from. Th HP setup is as follows:

C: Operating System, 2 Program File directories (one is for 32bit programs) Users, Documents, Music, etc.

D: Data - This is where they have a folder for recorded media (TV), and where they partition the Recovery Drive from. I also use it for Multimedia files, website files, and similar data. I also use it as one of my scratch disks.

E: Recovery Partition (14gb)

G: My External 300gb Maxtor - I'm using it quite a bit because I keep a lot of files on there that I use on both the HDX and my desktop, although I have copied some files over to the D drive. It's getting low on space, so as I said I'm probably going to get another external 500 or 1tb drive this week.

Drive issues - None that come to mind. In fact, as I've said, they're so quiet even when accessing that you can't hear them. The whole system is a lot quieter and runs much cooler than I expected. Part of that I know is my particular processor, but still it runs a lot cooler than I expected. One of my clients uses Toshiba's, and they run hot enough to be uncomfortable if you're not careful.

As far as battery usage, frankly I'm surprised at how much battery life I get with these drives - but thinking about it, they run at a 5400 RPM, so that would make sense. Battery life of course is also dependent on your power setup, and of course what you're working on program-wise.

Here's the link to the PDF copy of the HDX manual if you want to look at some of the more precise specifications and configurations:

http://tinyurl.com/6x8g6a

3. CyberVisions

CyberVisions Martian Notebook Overlord

Reputations:
    Speaking of Firefox:

The 64-bit version of Firefox:

http://tinyurl.com/5udoa8

Of course, I'm still using NS-9..

4. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:

64 bit OS will not only see the 4GB RAM, but uses it. Vista Home Premium 64 bit is no exception. 32bit OS's can't address higher than about 3.2 GB.

5. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't answer the question, but just curious...why go with 533 instead of 667?

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Are you using CPU-Z?

If not D/L it from here: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Extract all the files to a directory, then click on the SPD tab. That'll tell you all the info you need to know. If it's 533, then your max bandwidth should read 266.

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    1. Yes, it's definitely MXM, but it's not exactly upgradeable.
    2. No definitive info, but I seriously doubt it considering how much cooler it runs than the defective GPUs of the 8400/8600 variety.
    3. No, runs very quietly. Fans will kick in to high while gaming but you won't be able to hear them over the sound of the game.

8. Starborn

Starborn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This question has likely been answered, but I can't find it.

Can the blu-ray player in the HDX record onto cd-r's or is it a player only?

Thanks.

9. 2.0

Reputations:
    First, touchscreen isn't as great as it seems. You'll be cleaning your screen a lot from finger prints. And if you don't put a creen protector on it, you'll be dealing with scratches. Those of us with tablet PCs tend not to touch the screen for this reason and use a stylus instead. Touch belongs on PDA's and iPhones.

Next up, very, very low likelihood of HP coming out with even another 20" HDX. Next size if they do will be 18.4" as that yields a HD friendly 16:9 aspect ratio as opposed to the 16:10 of the 20".

As for HP's plans, they've stated that they are looking to come out with touchscreen (Touchsmart) Notebooks sometime in 2010. And that's according to an article in the WSJ.

10. 2.0

Reputations:

It's Blu-Ray read only, but writes DVD & CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.