*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Z-Man-360

Z-Man-360 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I got a laplander lap desk for this today. There is however not enough extra space on it for a blue tooth mouse. I'm sending my less than 30 day old baby in tomorrow ( packaging arrives ). Hoping and praying they repair/replace it and within a decent amount of time... I will be needing a blue tooth mouse, and am curious what kind you use, and if it works well with it. I am going to try to figure out some sort of modification on this lap desk to set the mouse on. But in case I don't how comfortable is it to use on the wrist area on the laptop itself?? Thanks :).

2. CyberVisions

CyberVisions Martian Notebook Overlord

Reputations:
    If you have Cyberlink YouCam (which is what most of us have) -

1. Click Start, All Programs, Cyberlink YouCam. Dbl-click the YouCam link when you open the folder up to start it.
    2. Adjust your monitor to the best viewing angle of your ugly mug, or whatever it is you want take a still of.
    3. At this point you can use a distortion filter, frame, or some other idiotic addition to the picture on the screen before you capture. Click on the various icons below the camera shot.
    4. Once you've got the shot the way you want to take it, Click on the "Snapshot" tab in the upper left corner of the YC window. The pic will be displayed in the right hand column, and automatically saved in the folder specified in the settings, usually Documents/YouCam.

If you want, you can also click on the icons in the upper right corner to email your pic to whoever you think would want to look at it - FBI, etc. Or you can delete it or, heaven forbid, waste even more space on YouTube.

3. CyberVisions

Reputations:
    The wrist area IS where I use my BT mouse. With the right setting, you can literally move the cursor the entire width/length of the display without any problem in the space the area provides.

As far as the kind of mouse, I just got the HP Bluetooth mouse that's listed in the accessories section of the HDX online configuration when you're setting it up prior to ordering it. Even though I use a Logitech multifunction mouse with my desktop, I've found that the HP BT suits me just fine for what I need on my notebook. And as I said, the footprint is small enough to let you use it in the wrist area. If I'm laying down and using it, I'll be lazy and use a DVD case or small book as a pad, but nothing really big.

The HP BT mouse uses 2 AA's, and also comes with a cover that matches the Dragon imprint design on the HDX bezel.

If you look at the 2nd tab of the HDX customization pages, it's at the top under Accessories, Mice and Keyboards. It's the 3rd mouse on the bottom for $59.99.

Besides the other accessories I mentioned before, I also got an extra battery and an extra AC adapter. You'll be surprised at how cool it runs and how efficient the battery usage is. I've accidentally unplugged mine before without realizing it until the low battery alarm came on.

4. Z-Man-360

Z-Man-360 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok thanks, yeah I'm hoping that if they don't just end up replacing it that it is in much better working order than when I bought it!! I'm starting to wonder if this thing is just a lemon :(. Everyone I've seen post just love theirs, and I too hope on getting mine back that I will love mine!! I love the looks of it, but without a great functioning inside it's just a really nice (huge) paper weight.

5. Scott_T

Scott_T Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    CyberVisions

Thanks for the detailed post. It is appreciated. Funny I consult also. Actually in a hotel at a gig. I suppose I have a few more questions if you do not mind.

Do you happen to know the specific DDR2 memory? Would this be correct:

200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Also any issues with the additional hard drive? Any feel on how it effects battery? Also do you use the second drive, or more likely a portion of it for PSCS3 swap space?

On the notebook bad I have my fingers crossed. My current bag is pretty big and has a bit of room with my normal 17" dv9000. I love it and hope it will accommodate this new beast..

This is the bag:
    http://www.altrec.com/osprey-packs/transit-messenger-bag

Fingers crossed on that.....

Scott

6. Scott_T

Scott_T Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish the HP web page was a lot more specific on the specs? Like a belarc adviser report...lol

Scott

7. SouthBeachPinoy

SouthBeachPinoy Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm in the market to buy a new laptop and I am leaning towards the HDX. But then I noticed HP's new TouchSmart IQ506t series. I like the touchscreen feature on the new TouchSmart models, but it isnt too mobile friendly like laptops are. I even went to my local BestBuy to check out the latest TouchSmart series and it weighs a ton! And then I also noticed that the TouchSmart's screen doesnt come with true HD 1080 format like the HDX ones do... and also the TouchSmart's 2.16 GHz processor is little to be desired compared to HDX's X9000 2.80. So I'm back to configuring an HDX to my specs... and of course I'm maxing it out with the exception to the HDD which I'm opting for the 400gb (2x200 @ 7200rpm) rather than the 640gb HDD (2x320 @ 5400rpm).

So far my configuration looks like this.... (copied from my HP Shopping Cart)

– Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
    – Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme Processor X9000 (2.80GHz)
    – 20.1" diagonal WUXGA High-Definition HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen (1920x1200)-"True HD" 1080p res
    – 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    – 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS
    – 400GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (200GB x 2)
    – Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
    – Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    – Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
    – Integrated HP HDTV Hybrid TV Tuner and 4 Altec Lansing speakers +the HP Triple Bass Reflex subwoofer
    – 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    – Power Pack software - muvee autoProducer Premium, Cyberlink DVD Suite Premium and Serif Web Plus
    – Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    – HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

... with all that said, my question is this... Will HP come out with an HDX model with the above specs that will feature a TouchScreen ala TouchSmart IQ series models? Does anyone on this board know of any of HP's future plans on upcoming new laptops and it's features? Or should I just order my HDX today and forget about a 20" 1080 HD HP Laptop with TouchScreen?

8. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Thank you for your explanation. The main problem of me is to show to the system other 1 gb beside 3 gb ram.

Home Premiun doesn't see the 4 gb full.

9. xanlexian

xanlexian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Home Premium sees my full 4gb. I *AM* using 64bit, however.

I do have a RAM question. I purchased Crucial 533MHz memory -- my system is reporting the RAM as 333. Is this some kind of limitation, or did I get some bum RAM?

I figure I'd ask first before I go screwing around with the RAM. I've got a Toshiba laptop running Home Premium as well (32-bit) I can always test this in. But like I said, I'd rather ask here first.

10. CyberVisions

Reputations:

South Beach,
    I spend a lot of time on the HP Support Forums helping others there as well. I've noticed recently a lot of touchscreen operation issues being reported with that particular Touchscreen model. If you're interested, go to this link at HP:

http://tinyurl.com/5gfvml

It's the search results on the business forums for that model - note the dates on them.

This link will take you to the Touchscreen's Support page for Problem Solving - it's good for checking the kind of problems you might encounter.

http://tinyurl.com/5tj5b9

I can say, though, that I've only seen one HDX problem posted on the HP forums, and it was a problem I responded to. It dealt with the system appearing to hang for a few seconds between applications. The best I could figure is that even though he was using Ultimate 64 and 4g/RAM, he was only using a 2.1ghz processor. Ultimate is great, but like any OS that's got more processes, it needs more processing power, not less. He was also running Norton - 'nuff said.

What I normally tell clients that ask about getting a new system is to check the reviews like the have here, but don't necessarily believe them 100% - the best way to find out if a system is worth getting is to check the company's support areas to find out how many complaints and problems there are. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that all problems mean a bad system, so you've got to check what the problems are. In my experience most problems are caused by the User's lack of knowledge of system operation and maintenance, and not willing to spend what's necessary for a system to perform well. Of course that problem can be laid at the companies' doorstep also - they sell systems with minimum configurations and then tell people it'll run like a supercomputer. Yeah, right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.