*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Amazing that you bring this up as I was about to ask a related question. I bought my wife the dv9640us at Christmas time. Are these drivers suitable for the 8600m/256mb/Vista 32 model in this lappy? I have only been using LV2G drivers, but these "HP" drivers work best in my HDX, so I thought I would try them in hers. Thanks

2. hovercraftdriver

hovercraftdriver Notebook Deity

Reputations:

When I said "these" HP drivers, I was referring to the 175.86 as I haven't upgraded to the .97's yet. May not unless I get some favorable feedback; as you alluded to them being technically for Compaq systems. I updated hers to the 174.32 this weekend and while she noticed performance increase (she says), she also said the colors didn't look as good. She likes pretty over efficient so I was made to revert them back. Anyway, thanks for the quick answer.

3. allen.g

allen.g Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    For those lurking still waiting for the right time to buy, HP has a 30% off coupon available. Coupon code is NB8821. I haven't bought mine yet either, but will be placing my order this evening after work.

4. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Yep coupon works. It's not stackable* but it's still 30% off.

*Not Stackable means you lose instant savings and any other promos if you apply the coupon.

5. allen.g

allen.g Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to give an idea, spec out the HDX9494NR from the HP site and you get a total of $1575 instead of the $1599 that most folks sell it for retail.

On another note, I'm ordering my system with 2GB RAM and getting a 4GB kit from Crucial. Has anyone had problems upgrading their RAM?

6. Black Knight

Black Knight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The mystery goes on: it worked all day ... now it doesn't anymore BUT WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS §#<%???

It will eventually become a serious problem, since I am completely unable to update graphic drivers!!!

7. oritpro

oritpro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No need to apologize, just giving a heads up. I re-installed the original driver and all is well again.

8. oritpro

oritpro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Some of us don't need stuff like this and prefer a system that isn't bogged down with unnecessary services. I survived XP for years with Indexing, System Restore, and VSS disabled and always had a highly responsive trouble free system.

Unfortunately, I've read all over the net that these services should not be turned off in Vista; someday I'll try it on a spare machine to see if there are any unforseen consequences.

9. netarchy

netarchy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For safety, the general consensus is that system restore and vss should not be disabled, as they provide you with some measures of protection in the event of crashes, software hosing the system, accidentally overwriting files, etc.

They generally don't impact on performance much if at all, though they can affect available free space on any drive they are enabled on (system restore in particular, volume shadowing silently mirrors data in free space but doesn't consider it as allocated and thus is available to write on).

In either case it is always a smart idea to keep separate backups of any important data, regardless of whether or not you use the extra safeguard of system restore and vss.

Indexing (not to be confused with journaling features of ntfs) is largely for speeding up file searches, it is not necessary, but it generally won't bite you in the arse either way.

10. Z-Man-360

Z-Man-360 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, so I knew I might run into this problem... But is there any way to upgrade the firmware of the mashi*a blu-ray drive??? It won't play the new blu-ray I bought, says no disc in drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.