*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Simply, it is a great machine...

2. Black Knight

Black Knight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everybody I am back from my vacation - 12 days away... did I miss anything important?

Hi - A while ago I read somewhere that the Zalman - ZM NC2000 - is a pretty good cooler for the HDX - It is supposed to be for a 17" lappie, but since it is the same size as the HDX someone tried it and said it worked well - If you end up getting it let us know -

3. Z-Man-360

Z-Man-360 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey welcome back!! That's great, I am most likely going to get that and give it a try!! I have been looking around but couldn't seem to find anything I thought would work for the hdx thats for the tip, and I will let you guys know for sure.

EDIT: It says the dimensions are 15-3/4 wide and 11-1/2 deep 1-3/4 high

4. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Good to see asuhoru. He's one of the OG owners of the HDX. Give props and respect, y'all. :cool:

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    Welcome back. Yeah, we learned that the HDX isn't overclockable. Probably for the best. But a definite engineering decision on HP's part considering that the PLL chip they used is no more expensive than the version that allows for overclocking.

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    One thing, if you run dual screens, the GPU will idle higher. But the GPU is in the normal range for single. CPU is also. Start seeing 60's on idle on GPU and 50's CPU, then that'd be a problem.

I use an external keyboard (for ergonomic sake) so I didn't notice the heat on the left palm rest area. But yeah, it's there and I can imagine it getting uncomfortable after a while.

7. 2.0

Reputations:

That's kind of low for Vista. I've done a clean install and I have 73 processes. Most of which are software I use for work that have components that run in the background. But it doesn't affect performance. My gaming FPS aare as good and in some cases better than other comparable systems. It's really not the number of processes as it is the size of the processes.

8. Bokiyo

Bokiyo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have had mine over a week but only now am unboxing it. Need help with getting rid of all the bloatware and other junk that I don't need. Don't know alot of technical stuff like some other members in the posts, so any help would be appreciated. Will use mostly for watching movies, gaming, and ITunes stuff. Help please!!

9. Black Knight

Reputations:
    Alright, well you already know what I think: If someone is into overclocking he should try that on a 300$ desktop CPU and\or GPU - That's already enough of a waste like that - No reason to burn a 4000$ machine to gain "maybe" a couple of frames (I know I am no fun on stuff like that).

By the way can anyone give me a suggestion about an issue which have appeared lately? A game that used to run smoothly, lately has started to periodically kicking me back to the desktop while it goes minimized on the taskbar - I suspect an unwanted Vista operation to be responsible, so I checked the event viewer, which mentions no errors, but an information in at least one case: "desktop window manager unable to start because composition disabled by a running application" -

It's not particularly serious since I can just resume the game by clicking on its tab, but it bugs me that things are going on without me understanding what... Anyway I recovered a restoration point (previous to my recent AVG antivirus installation), we'll see if it keeps doing it.

10. Black Knight

Reputations:
    There are two main schools of thought:

My buddy 2.0 would go for an epic "format C: then buy a real Vista DVD then finally reinstall everything from the E partition". (Just stop listening when he starts suggesting to entirely dismount an then remount the HDX :p ... because he will get there too!)

I am mostly for "take your time and see what you don't need, after all you got more hard disk space than you'll ever need"

Personally Anyway I would start getting rid of the Norton antivirus... I just find it a bit too hungry in terms of system resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.