*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    what are you talking about a month or 2? i ordered it yesterday, and its on the truck to be delivered this tuesday!!!

2. AspenWiedii

AspenWiedii Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I found an open (read "battered") box table top HD antenna (Pure AV by Belkin) with amplifier for a bout $30 at Sam's Club. With the HDX's included antenna I could not receive any HD channels where I am. With the powered antenna I get 26 channels now and the antenna sits nicely near the HDX.

3. Clearday

Clearday Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have just received my HP HDX (Dragon) notebook yesterday (08.08.08) in Istanbul,Turkey. My purshasing price was 2750 USD (tax included)

System;

- Windows Vista Premium
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T9300
    - Nvidia Geforce 8800M GTS PCI Express® 1791 MB TC
    - 4 GB (2x2 GB) DDR2 667 MHz, max. 4GB
    - 500 GB (2*250) SATA 5400 Rpm
    - 20,1" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) High Definition Utra BrighView Widescreen
    - 9 Cell Li-Ion -- 180 W AC

My Product Summary review;

The Good:

- Excellent,sharp,crisp,Colors were bright and lifelike massive dual-hinge display,illumination is brilliant,contrast is excellent... GREAT (averagely: 245 cd/m2 brightness)
    (more beauty than Acer Aspire 8920G 18,4" and Toshiba X series 17")
    - Fast Penryn CPU and a powerful (Class 1) Geforce 8800M GTS video card by nVIDIA.
    - Piano-black pinstriped finish on the outside and silver pinstripes,looks very luxury and stylish,very good built-up quaility
    - Triple Bass Reflex Subwoofer and integrated amplifiers GREAT
    - Integrated hybrid TV tuner, which lets you watch, record, and pause live TV
    - Easy to use - Touch-sensitive controls
    - Intel's new draft-802.11n connection
    - Battery is suprisingly good for this DRAGON.

The Bad:

- Heavy,sorry...very heavy but yes who gets it must know it and no probs...more than 7 kg
    - No Blue Ray

I am really impressed...great notebook,great bargain..and specially thanks to HP service in Turkey.

F.E.A.R. (full settings 1280*800): 114 FPS (very playable)
    Crysis (full settings 1280*800): 39 FPS (very playable)
    World in Conflict (full settings,1680x1050 pixels): 28 FPS (playable)
    World in Conflict (full settings,1280x800 pixels): 38 FPS (very playable)
    Doom 3 (full settings 1024x768): 169 FPS (very playable)

4. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Bezel:

$30 + shipping from Singapore.

http://www.pchub.com/uph/model/0--8979-1/Pavilion-HDX9000-Series--parts.html

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    Yep, I went out the other day and bought an antenna from Radioshack and got a whole bunch of channels. Amplified it also, but there was too much pixelation, freeze and stuttering. And CBS wouldn't come in. Problem is, I live on a slope that leads down to the beach. Apparently, that interferes with all sorts of signals from radio stations to cell phone transmissions.

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Yep, you can drop in any SATA HD you like. Even SSD. You just need the bracket and SATA connector.

7. iceColdgin

iceColdgin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i hope that you can post pics of the alienware backpack as soon as your camera is fixed. i would love to buy this nice looking bag for the HDX :D

8. SF_Beachbum

SF_Beachbum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks 2.0!

You always have the right answers for us Noobs!

Do you have a link to that cradle and SATA connector?
    My beast only came with 1 HD I don't have the extra bracket, while the HD is seated and seems fine, I know I'm half stepping without the proper cradle.

9. SF_Beachbum

SF_Beachbum Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep that looks really sweet!
    No wheels though, and that's a deal breaker for me.:(

I guess I'll stick with this Targus rollaway from HP for now.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...detail/KD853PA

It's really nice too. but not as sexy as the Alienware bag.

10. CyberVisions

CyberVisions Martian Notebook Overlord

Reputations:
    You can swap the HD-DVD for a BD-ROM, but don't do it - HP has to to get off their ass and provide the firmware update for the Sony/Optiarc BC-5500A BD-ROM that I have in my HDX 9300. The problem is that the current update by Sony is 5/08, making it able to play newer BD's. HP hasn't released this update, although they clearly state on their support page for BD playback problems that updating the firmware for the drive is one of the primary fixes for that problem. It's a textbook case of engineering finding the fix but tech support not bothering to ensure the data for the fix is uploaded and available. As a former HP Tech stuff like this really aggravates me as I and other former HP techs and Engineers discover what HP has become.

The BC-5500A will playback a BD, the problem is that without the firmware upgrade it won't access extra menu features. You also have to update the QuickPlay software to the current revision - without it, a new BD will lock up QuickPlay (or the system) while loading the disk.

For now, stay away from it until they get their act together. Even though I have a 32" 1080P Aquos for my PS3, I was really looking forward to BD playback on my 1080P 20" HDX without any hassle. Guess there's just too much to expect these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.