*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    You're guaranteed to brick the HDX. HDX Bios doesn't work that way. That's been tried with the 3700M.

But the BIOS recovery method does work for that.

2. Digitalwindow

Digitalwindow Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:

What exactly is the problem, not enough power? Or is it a problem of the dynamic on how the power is distributed or what not? Or do we know really. You'd think the power brick is more than enough if the problem was the former. It looks like it can power a go cart let alone a small house.

4. Digitalwindow

Reputations:
    So greatly appreciated!!! Looks like we've now got several heads working together on this one. :D

Do we have a good gpu under-volter? Here's one for cpu (RMClock; overclocks as well):

Download. CPU Rightmark

Such a fun little project. I figure that another solution will rise before I could do 'surgery'. If wattage isn't an issue, looks like the whole sink plate should be machined (reusing the copper line) unless the 280m stock set can be more easily altered for the HDX.

=

5. 2.0

Reputations:
    LOL. Power a go kart. :D

The problem could be twofold. The BIOS is supposed to determine the voltage to be applied at certain clock frequencies. But since we can't get to the HDX BIOS...

The other potential problem is, even though it's an MXM slot, it doesn't mean HP followed the specification perfectly. Likely they cut corners and capped the max amount of power supplied to the MXM slot. After all, they had a proprietary 8800M card made just for the HDX when they could have used a standard one like in the Gateway gaming notebooks that came out around the time of the HDX. Moreover (love that word, sorry), they designed the HDX's motherboard to accept and power a MXM II (ATI) and MXM III (Nvidia) card with only a slight modification from the original ATI only motherboard.

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    Picture of the 280M stock cooling solution as I received it:

[​IMG]

This is how it comes from RJTech and how it looks in every Clevo it is used in. No way to retrofit that into the HDX.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  7. Digitalwindow

Reputations:
    Danke, 2.0

I just don't get HP and BIOS. I've had many other brands, and, like my Dell, BIOS was updated to nearly its last days. I'm quite ashamed of HP if they figured this $5K machine would go out like a cell phone.

I should have guessed the heatsink were whiteboxy. :( (but, give me the right tools, and.....) Even though the Clevo heatsink face is of course ideal, machine-modding the original (after mold) would probably be most efficient and more precise due to the HDX's heatsink size. Also, a better heatsink could be manufactured in case there is a significant temp increase.

Normally I wouldn't spend so much time on this, but it really bugs me that some HD apps become choppy with the 8800m (@ WUXGA), and 20" HD digital picture frames are a lot cheaper ;) . Fix that problem and this computer may immortalize for most media apps unless human vision acuity doubles very soon.

Regardless as to the outcome of this upgrade, I thought some of you might like to view a few HDX behemoth challengers. :p

Xentex Flip-Pad Voyager (only 12.6 lbs?--lightweight!):

Xentex Flip-Pad Voyager - Innovative by Design | PCMag.com

and, the cracktop:

The Biggest Laptop In The World | Laptop News Daily

=

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  8. SirKhan

SirKhan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    One thing ziped should've done or ask his friend to do if still possible is to backup that vbios on that card. Most important because in the future we'd be able to find a Clevo or anything else which we could use to flash that vbios and use the card in the hdx.
    Without that vbios we're pretty lost and who knows how much time and trial & error would be needed to find it :(

9. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can a vbios be extracted or copied when the gpu is installed in the device?

Alternatively, if we can find out the specific model and any other pertinent information about the original laptop, it may be possible to trace and match the vbios to a specific card. MXM-upgrade sells a wide range of GPUs, branded or flashed for different devices. When I was communicating with Kris from that site he was offering to loan a Clevo 280M GTX and a 3700M Quadro dedicated to the HP Elitebook 8730 (if I remember correctly. It's somewhere in my notes.)

MXM-upgrade.com is a pretty high-minded business. They're very willing to help (offering in the past to loan out two cards!), and are interested in a building a large database of upgradeable machines. That helps both consumers and the company.

MA

10. hdx63dude

hdx63dude Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello All.... hope you can help.

I have a HDX9200 with ATI graphics card, intel extreme processors. Things work fine in all applications, except games.

I can't verify whether or not FPS work well, but I do know that the RTS games black out the screen (adjusted for compatibility mode). I have attempted over multiple RTS and same result after 2-30min of play time. I've noticed that this seems to happen only when the adapter is attached (performance settings are set to high) and not when the comp runs off the battery (settings at economy power level). When running off the battery, comp works as HP intended it.

Question: is this a typical heat buildup issue? A PSU issue? If so, how do I resolve?

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.