*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    thanks for that. yes what you describe is NOT the issue, as 2.0 got it to fit that way.

the question is the mating of the heatsink to the graphics card and the gap that exists??? how did you make that fit? or did you just not have it touch the heatsink?

2. Dominick_7

Dominick_7 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Welcome back man:) Also thank you for all your efforts in trying to get the upgrade for the HDX working never giving up on the GPU upgrade idea.

3. Dominick_7

Reputations:

I think that is the problem no? As in the additional mods needed for cooling were not done before he had to give the GPU back. Thankfully he didn't fry his system or the card. I guess if that mod were done it would work? Any input on that idea from anyone surely welcome!:)

4. Dominick_7

Reputations:

Awesome job man!:) Thanks for doing all of this work and letting the community have a window on the progress of this GPU upgrade project! I guess the next step is to get you connected to Kris from the MXM upgrade site and with a polish speaking individual from there. Up to now, I guess the only issue really is just with the heating/cooling?

5. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    There's stability issues may not have anything to do with thermal management but supply wattage.

6. Zodrac

Zodrac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @ zipdek_dg
    hmm so you used a GTX 280m MXM 2.1 Type HE? If i remember correctly ... 2.0 used a GTX 280m MXM 2.1 Type III and he wasnt able to install any drivers + also the card wasnt even been able to be recognized by windows.

my mouse arrow is already on the "buy" button in ebay for a gtx 280m ... i just need to press the mouse button ... but now i am not sure because 2.0 tried to run his HDX with a GTX 280m 2.1 "Type III" not HE.

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    It was the same exact card. Difference was his is a pull and mine was new from RJtech.

Here's a pic of the two cards side by side: http://forum.notebookreview.com/5058591-post6995.html

[​IMG]

Left: 8800M GTS. Right: 280M GTX

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  8. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I wouldn't buy any card yet. It's early in the process, as 2.0's
    comments suggest.

This is a step by step experiment/project.

MA

9. Zodrac

Zodrac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmm ... i.c.
    i wonder if i can add or override my bios with an another video bios information with a program like nibitor. i already have the bios information for a gtx 280m. edit: ofc for a mxm 2.1 type III

i just wonder if this post (from 2.0) helps me to restore my old bios if the flash fails.

10. 2.0

Reputations:
    BTW, just to illustrate what I was referring to about the two capacitors at the back of the card being too high such that a gap between the heatsink and heatspreader of the GPU exists, here's some pics:

[​IMG]

On the left side is the head of the heatspreader on the GPU. On the right side you will see the head of the capacitor being about 2 mm higher.

In this next picture, you will see how the HDX's heatsink must sit on top of the capacitors which is why the "sloping" gap exists. That gap also prevents heat transfer from the back row RAM chips to the heatsink and also two the the RAM chips on the side. You'd need thicker tacky thermal pads to compensate for the gap. Or you would have to Dremel away some metal from the heatsink (w/o cutting the copper pipe) so that the heatsink fits around the capacitors.

[​IMG]

Also, a new card will require you to remove the heatsink backplane off the 8800M to use on 280M GTX. Not an easy job.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.