*HP HDX DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 1*

Discussion in 'HP' started by J-Bytes, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dv7t

dv7t Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nice. yes how does it physically fit in the hdx???
    Jak to fizycznie pasują do hdx?

also, anyone...how does this 3dmark03 score convert to the 06 score OR...what is dragon's equivalent 03 score with the 8800gts?

2. Jacobin777

Jacobin777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    2.0 did you receive any news from your letter you sent out to HP a while ago?

Apropos, I mentioned a few days ago if you were able to get your Dragon sound system working with Ubuntu-I had mine working (along with my webcam) but uninstalled my Ubuntu after I had upgraded to the newest version of Ubuntu 10.04 which caused a lot of problems....:(

That being said, I'm not going to be giving up so easily...:D

3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used to contribute to this forum, long ago, taking the unpopular position that an MXM upgrade was possible for the Dragon. I probably had about twenty-five conversations with technicians from HP in India, Canada, and an extensive email conversation with an HP tech in the Netherlands. I also had conversations with a senior tech at Eurocom, and ultimately a long email conversation with Kris at MXM-upgrade.com, who is possibly the most knowledgeable person in the world on upgrading MXM cards. He has an extensive technical background, and is one of the founders of the NVIDIA LaptopVideo2Go forum.

About eight months ago Kris offered to loan a 280M GTX and a 3700M Quadro to any “esteemed member” of our forum, with no obligation to buy unless the card actually worked. I should add that MXM-upgrade.com offers a service which would be too expensive for those of us in the US, in which people ship their laptops to his company in Belgium, and he would “throw every card possible” at the particular laptop in question at no charge unless success was the result.

I private-mailed a number of our forum members with this offer of the loan, but received no response.

Today I sent the information about MXM-upgrade.com to our Polish compatriot, and I hope my English was comprehensible to him. For some reason recent e-mails to Kris by both me and another forum member have as yet received no response. But the point is that Kris may very well be able to help sort out some of the obstacles that were recently encountered, and possibly he may still be generous enough to loan zipek_dg another 280M GTX, Clevo branded if necessary. If Kris is still willing, he probably would only make the loan to one party, and it would make sense that it should be to zipek_dg because sending the card(s) to Poland is less complicated duty-wise, and zipek_dg already made some real headway.

Cheers,

MobileArtist

4. 2.0

2.0 Former NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    I sent a follow up letter last week asking for the status of the case. I expect a polite letter of appreciation in return.

Ubuntu 10.04 is working fine for me. Though I had it running well in 9.10 with updated kernel 2.6.32.

5. jakubd

jakubd Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please, please! don't use automatic translation for Polish. This is sometimes so painful :) [ok, maybe this one is not so bad after all, but the previous one...] Sometimes really much more painful than RickiBerlin's automatic translation from German [I'm not saying anything about his really helpful and technically advanced in-depth posts, just the translation system that is not capable], because Slavic languages are much more f... up... I mean complex :)
    I'll try to contact zipek to help him with translation if needed.
    This is hard to compare 3dmark03 and 06 number by number, as each new version of 3dmark tests different set of features that show up as new generations of cards are unleashed.
    For sure you should be able to find results for general comparison in some result databases online. One of the first examples from uncle google:
    Overclock3D :: Review :: XFX 8800GTS :: Benchmarks - 3DMark

PS: my first post here - just jumped around to see what's up on page 215 (I'm still a year back around page 165, using the longest pages available). It's like reading a thriller or at least a good romance :)

6. 2.0

Reputations:
    According to notebookcheck it appears that the 8800M GTS gets a 3Dmark03 score of 24874. So the 280M GTX is ~35% faster.

Rough 3Dmark06 score would be 1/3 the 3Dmark03 score. So the 280GTX would have a 3Dmark06 score of 11,458 w/T8100.

7. 2.0

Reputations:
    Welcome back.

We really need someone who can translate Polish to English and vice versa because the exact procedure needs to be detailed. I've already tried the 280M GTX and it didn't work which I attribute to it being a brand new card instead of a pull. (A pull would be flashed with Clevo BIOS). Also there are physical difficulties that have to be overcome because the heatsink will not mate with the card properly. A copper plate of 1.5-2mm will need to be made to fit between the heatspreader of the GPU and the heatsink. Also a friend of mine tried the Quattro 3700M card and it also didn't work and that was a pull from an IBM W700. Also had the same physical installation difficulties of not mating with the heatsink properly.

So we need to know exactly what Clevo system this came from and what vBIOS was used. That is the key to why this particular card worked. Moreover, we would need someone who has that Clevo system to flash the 280M GTX card so it can be used in other people's HDX. Also a supply of custom made copper plates to properly mate the card to the heatsink. One last thing is where to get taller tacky thermal transfer pads for the GDDR RAM which also won't mate properly with the heatsink towards the back because of the gap.

Lots to be done before it becomes viable for all but do-it-yourselfers.

8. zipek_dg

zipek_dg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    it was easy to insert 280m gtx into MXM slot in HDX, 280m GTX is a MXM slot 2.1 Type HE, 8800m GTS is a MXM slot 2.1 Type III, PCB size between 280 and 8800 were exactly the same, and the screw holes were in the same places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (HE CONNECTOR 100% compatible to work with 280m GTX)

[​IMG] (REGULAR CONNECTOR IN HDX DRAGON)

"The differences are minimal: the HE connector has additional pins with the only purpose to carry more power. There are no functional differences besides the power capacity." (source: MXM technical before 3.0)

So probably for that reason I had problems with a stable work of 280m.
    I do not have this graphic card already, I had give back, to my friend.
    Maybe one day, he will be have the 9800M GTX, at the MXM 2.1 Type III or HE

9. 2.0

Reputations:
    BTw, nice video. Love the music! :D

10. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice to be back.

You're absolutely right that we need someone who speaks Polish. Hopefully, if I get a response from Krism I can find out if he has any Polish speakers working with him.

MA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.