*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    First of all, the HP and Lenovo versions are of different schematics. Therefore a different number of capacitors should be expected. But if it can be overclocked better, than I may consider it is worth trying.
    I've just looked at the Lenovo version and found out that it has an additional chip ANX9805 that is DisplayPort 1.1a transmitter (DVO/LVTTL(18‐bit input) to DisplayPort™1.1a or HDMI™1.3 Transmitter with HDCP 1.3 content protection).
    You've just helped me to understand why my Dell M6400 has 2 Display ports. I looked at its FX3700M again and found 2 of those Analogix chips that are the display port transmitters.
    https://www.analogix.com/en/products/ip/displayport-11a-transmitter
    According to the official information, ANX9805's display port can output 30bit colors. And FX3700M would support eDP LCD panels up to WQXGA (2560*1600).
    http://web.archive.org/web/20081219044344/http://www.analogix.com/product_9805.html
    ANX9805 datasheet (hard to find):
    https://datasheet.datasheetarchive.com/originals/library/Datasheets-A1/DSAUTAZ0018495.pdf

Now I got your point about supporting 10bit LCD panels.
    Native HP FX3700M don't have a DP, but the one of Lenovo does. And an eDP LCD screen could be attached in that case. That's an interesting point worth considering.

2. remdale

Reputations:
    The reason for that is there are more MOSSFETs present on the Lenovo version, so the video card might be more powerful in this case.

MobileArtist likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I knew there was some reason I bought the IBM version! :)

The Dell 3700M looks quite a bit different than either the HP or the IBM/Lenovo.

Could you explain hoe the e DP LCD panel is related tp the Dragon? Are you referring to an external Display Port Monitor?

Once again, amazing work on your part.

4. remdale

Reputations:
    No relation. Just a theory.
    Yes, eDP = external Display Port in LCD screens.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    Finally, it's possible! Here's what I have done to attach VCCP to GTLREF_2 (Pin D22). The best idea ever. The socket cover is quite thick, so I decided to make a small channel to hide the wire inside and not short any pin. It also resolved an issue when the socket cover had to be moved to lock the CPU. So the wire could move and short some pins. Now moving the socket cover doesn't affect the wire at all. I hid the wire by just melting the plastic, but the best way would be to use some glue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut the part of the wire that is going outside because it was too long. Before placing the cover back, I recommend you to insert the CPU and check if there's a connection between the wire and the CPU's pin and check if you didn't short the other pins.
    Same to GTLREF, VCCP has to be attached to GTLREF_2 via a 1K resistor and then both should be attached to ground with a 2K resistor. I broke the only one that I had on another non-working Dragon board, so I bought a bigger one.
    Here's a general view.
    [​IMG]

Enlarged: 2K resistor
    [​IMG]

Enlarged: the wire is connected to the Test Point on VCCP via a 1K resistor
    [​IMG]

Hope all 4 cores are now supplied with power.
    Not sure if dual core CPU would work if you leave GTLREF_2 connected to VCCP, so I recommend to break the connection when installing duals. Platforms that support quads have a switch that shuts off VCCP for the pin D22 when a dual core CPU is recognized. So I recommend to do the same.
    Now that the hardware work has been done, no frequency change has happened. QX9300 is still operating at 1900MHz and Win7 still cannot start, so it must be due to the ACPI table.
    I need a reliable tool to be able to replace DSDT region in BIOS.

I tried to replace vBIOS with HPunpack, but it failed. HPUnpack just throws an error and crashes.
    What's left to accomplish:
    1) Flash an updated DSDT region
    2) Connect 2.5V power to the MXM connector
    3) Replace vBIOS

@2.0 how did you replace vBIOS before?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    triturbo and RickiBerlin like this.
  6. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I've not flashed VBIOS, but people on this forum have, as well as on the ThinkPad forum.

You should have been a surgeon.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    That's why I'm asking 2.0 about this. It seems like he has done that before.
    I would have killed somebody. Just look at the socket cover:D
    Actually, I shorted some pins during the surgery. Thanks god QX9300 survived that well.
    I had an idea to solder the wire to the CPU's pin on the other side of the socket cover, but it would have become a one way ticket thing (unremovable):D
    But first, I need to test the CPU for stability with the new ACPI table.

8. remdale

Reputations:
    As I have just found out from this post https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=728611&sid=e2af6870b0c1911080f25d2086635063#p728611
    So I set the Dual Core option to Disable with HP BIOS Configuration Utility that I've described earlier. I installed QX9300 back and was able to boot into Windows, but it took me around 3-4 times because the laptop froze at the Windows logo. After booting into Windows, I checked CPU-Z. It reported just 1 core available, whereas the Windows Device Manager displayed 2 cores. I got a little confused and then the touchpad stopped working suddenly. A minute later, the Dragon rebooted unexpectedly. After that had happened, I couldn't boot into Windows anymore.

Even though BIOS reported 1900MHz, the operating frequency could reach 2.6GHz under Windows. I was wondering why. So I installed T9600 and BIOS reported the CPU was operating at 2100Mhz which indicated the CPU was working at the lowest multiplier. Then I installed T9500 and BIOS reported its nomral frequency which is 2.6GHz.
    It seems like 1066 FSB CPUs start with the lowest multiplier during the boot, but work fine after booting into the OS. I have no idea why. Let's see what will happen after we update the ACPI table.

Also I found out that you don't need to disconnect GTLREF_2 power when replacing the quad with a dual. It will be working fine with all the quad modifications present.

9. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    I meant tree surgeon.

But you are doing some really interesting work there, remdale.

10. remdale

Reputations:
    Yes, but this could have been done back in those times when RickiBerlin was active. I hoped to find something new done by him, but unfortunately he received the 8730W's ACPI table via PM and I have no idea why he quit. So I hope for some help from @2.0
    I'm playing around with DSDT and found out that the region contains all the hidden options that HP BIOS Configuration Utility has revealed. Those are SATA Native Mode, Dual Core CPU, Wake on LAN etc are stored in the ACPI table!!:eek:o_O I was shocked!:eek:
    You can check that all up on your own in the registry
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\ACPI\DSDT\HP____\8510x\00010000]

By the way, replacing that entry for the one from 8730W didn't help booting the quad.

RickiBerlin likes this.