*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It does, its DreamColor is 8bit LVDS, unlike the 8740w which uses DP for the DreamColor. While on that note, the 8740w's LVDS (as well as 8770w's) is 6bit and that's probably the biggest reason to not use it.

That's interesting. It was REALLY long time ago when @no-tech did the mod and from what I remember on the picture it looked like half the data lines were missing - every other row of the display was just grey or something like that. So it looked like data issue than bit depth, but yeah could be. Keep it up and congrats on the 12.5mm mod!

2.0 likes this.
  2. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    @remdale - nice write up and detailed pics of your mod work.

3. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There must be a way to make it work. We should dig vBIOS, I wish I could.
    Thanks! Now I need to think of how I'm gonna use the free IDE bay. I found a free SATA port on the chipset, you know:D
    Actually, I'm wondering why HP didn't use it for eSATA. If they did so, we could boot from external drives. Because they put the eSATA controller on the PCIe bus, we cannot boot from it.
    @2.0 may I ask you once again, why was the LVDS swap needed for FX3700M?

4. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    As far as I can tell, the inverter needs a specific PWM signal. The FX3700 doesn't appear to be outputting that signal, at least not on the expected pin. Therefore, brightness control likely won't work. And then of course there's the issue of 6bit v 8bit output.

As for the IDE bay, there really is no good way to use it. It's gimped, speed limited. I tried using it for other things years ago. Bought a HDD caddy and speeds were abysmal. There should be a post about it earlier in this thread. I forgot why, likely to do with the interface circuitry fixed in a certain IDE mode like PIO.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    If it were PIO, you would not be able to work at all due to constant CPU overloads when accessing files, as far as I know. I didn't think of the PIO mode, so I didn't check it up in the device manager before. Will try to figure out later.
    Could you please describe it in details? My question is which LVDS pins did you swap?
    Because:
    so FX3700M shouldn't be outputting 6 bit as far as I understand.

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I think that there were 8730w configs with FX3700M and 6bit displays, while the 8bit output was DreamColor only, so there might be something that checks whether or not the display is DC. Maybe that's why it reverts to 6bit for the Dragon, it just doesn't know that you have 8bit display. EDID rename to LP171WU5-TLB1 (if you have WUXGA, since the DC is WUXGA), or a vBIOS edit to include your display. Then again the DC is RGB LED where yours is CCFL, so... Just a thought.

7. remdale

Reputations:
    On the HP website about 8730w:
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01546951
    Internal:
    • 17.0 inches diagonal WXGA+ anti-glare (1440 x 900 resolution).
    • 17.0 inches diagonal WSXGA+ anti-glare wide-viewing angle (1680 x 1050 resolution).
    • 17.0 inches diagonal WUXGA wide-viewing angle anti-glare (1920 x 1200 resolution).
    • 17.0-inch diagonal WUXGA DreamColor wide-viewing angle (1920 x 1200 resolution)* .
    note:
    * DreamColor LED display is available only with NVIDIA graphics.

Can that note mean that Nvidia cards come with DreamColor only? If so and if all the other screens (CCFL) come with ATI only, then it should probably mean that the way PWM is controlled in FX3700M and FX2700M is different.
    And according to this website, all the other CCFL screens that are available for 8730w have a 30-pin connector which means that they are most likely 6-bit.
    https://www.screencountry.com/index...8730W SERIES&brand=HP-Compaq&series=ELITEBOOK
    Anyway, I've sent my questions to different sellers of 8730w. Now waiting for their answers.

8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Update on my upgrade project:

I decided to take the plunge and underwent the CPU upgrade last night. I have to thank both remdale and kimutler for reassuring me in their posts that the upgrade wasn't that difficult. Although nowhere near easy for me because I never took apart a laptop before, it was within my skill level and I now have a Dragon with X9000 CPU! It turns out I was overly concerned about the BIOS on my machine, and thought the heck with it and just do it...

I performed some preliminary benchmarking to determine if the new CPU without any other changes improved ramdisk performance and it did significantly. I attribute this more to the increased cache size than 800MHz increase. We'll see later what the performance will be like once I OC it.

As advised by others, I did some additional work on the machine whilst in a disassembled state: changed battery, removed accumulated dust around the fans and reattached the cable that powers up the right side of the touch panel. I purchased the machine with only the left side of the touch panel lighting up and now it's completely lit making it look much better.

The upgrade didn't go without a hitch, though. In the process of reassembly I must have done or forgot something because the touch pad beneath the keyboard is no longer functional. Windows states it's not connected. It's possible the cable going to the touch pad loosened or was damaged in the process. I remember a small partially blue cable that I had a problem reinserting. Can someone confirm which cable connects the touch pad? I hardly use it but it comes handy if my mouse fails or forget to bring it along.

Second question concerns OC. I did not flash the dualIDA BIOS yet because I don't know if it's good for my system. ThrottleStop cannot increase the multiplier beyond the factory 14.0x, but it can lower the multiplier. I'm guessing since others were able to get very high OC with the X9000, it must be that I need a BIOS to support it.

Third question concerns the keyboard on my Dragon. I previously posted that the keyboard must have been replaced with a foreign unit sometime during the life of this machine, because there are many keys that are not typing what's displayed on them. Also, no key will type the colon, semi-colon or apostrophe; I can't use these symbols at all as it is.

I intended to swap out the keyboard for one of my HDX18 keyboards but after seeing pictures on the web, not only are the screw holes completely different but so is the ribbon cable, as I should have realized because the two machines are vastly different. The HDX18 keyboard's cable is much shorter and won't reach the Dragon motherboard connector. Are there laptop ribbon cable extenders I can use to effectively lengthen the cable on my HDX18 keyboard?? If so, that would save me the trouble of finding another Dragon keyboard.

Thanks again for everyone's help who posted and gave me the courage I needed to proceed with the project. I already notice the machine is overall snappier and more responsive. Hopefully, I can finalize it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. remdale

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Once you flash it, the EIST checkbox will become available to drive the multiplier.

10. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    oh yes the little blue cable as you state I have a problem every time I strip my dragons down the first time with that, you find a little black peg that you push back in does not hold the cable in place, as soon as you put the keyboard in place it can disconnect, what I do is put 2 or 3 layers 3 m tape over the top part and then trim it to size so it will fit in (as the conectors are on the under side of the blue tape) then fit the blue tape back in with the little black plug (should go in tight) use some pvc tape and cover the complete plug and make sure its pushed down nice and tight around it don't screw your keboard in place before you fire it up and try it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019