*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kimutler

kimutler Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

no its not hard matter of fact I enjoyed doing it, once you done it the first time you be thinking what was all the fuss about !!! and if I had a x9000 lying around I would jump at it you can give the complete laptop a going over bios battery replace fans and heat sinks cleaned and of course the cpu replace and repaste all done in one good job if you lived near me I would of done it for free a good peace of mind and a good job done

2. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd pay someone to do it if I knew anyone I could trust nearby. It's well within my experience level having built dozens of servers and high-end desktops in the last 20 years; I'm too jaded now and my patience has evaporated.

Anyway, even if I decided to proceed I don't know if the current BIOS in my laptop will accept the X9000. If it won't, then I need 100% confirmation the dualIDA BIOS on the first page is compatible with my Dragon's revision. Can't locate another BIOS. So, it's a catch-22 and I'm kind of stuck with what I have.

3. kimutler

Reputations:

I am running to dragons at this time the older model 9050ea windows 10 64bit f.41 bios & Radeon Graphics HD2600XTI up graded the cpu to a x7900 with 4 gb ram I tried throttle stop it just blue screens, without touching the bios the other one 9300 windows 7 64bit f.40 bios has x9000 cpu & 8gb ram GeForce 8800M GTS that goes up to 3.6ghz no problem without touching the bios maybe your right with the 9050ea if that's the model you got

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I guess, it could be achievable if you had a 3D printer. But, yes, it's gonna be a pain.

5. remdale

Reputations:
    Ok guys, now it's time for some extreme modding. Not that extreme as the QX9300 mod though, but not all people would agree to do this anyway. I decided to move my 2TB WD drive from the IDE enclosure and connect it to SATA to increase the transfer speed. You might be a little confused by the final pictures, but that area of the keyboard looks fine in real.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dominick_7 and triturbo like this.
  6. kimutler

Reputations:

!!!! are you trying to fit a 12 .5 mm hd in where a 9.5 mm goes !!!!

7. remdale

Reputations:
    Exactly! It's possible and done already. It couldn't be connected to another SATA connector because the touchpad would let you do that.
    By the way, could you guys please run Latency Monitor? https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe
    Measure the following parameters for a couple of minutes and post a screenshot of the program like this.
    [​IMG]
    The best video driver for Windows 7 is 179.48 in my case, but as you can see, still dxgkrnl.exe is causing video and audio drop outs in my case. I've tried different video drivers, but no big difference. This all is happening in Windows 7. Windows XP is totally fine. I'm still trying to figure out the cause. According to Unclewebb, it must be a video driver. In addition to that, on the first page you reported the versions of drivers that should be working fine, but that's not true for me. That's why I'm asking you to measure the latencies and post them here to get to understanding of what could be wrong.
    I was thinking if my 8800M GTS is defective in some way, but since it seems to be working fine in Windows XP, Unclewebb said the video card is fine.

Dominick_7 likes this.
  8. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's a quad-core mod possible on this machine?!?! Where??

Dominick_7 likes this.
  9. kimutler

Reputations:

sorry I fail to understand your logic to cut away for your hd to fit as I am running a 2tb Seagate st2000mo15 in the 2nd bay without cutting anything there are 7 mm the other drive is a seagate st2000m007 which is in my 2nd dragon 7mm, the other drive you can buy is st2000m003 spinpoint will fit at 9.5mm at 2tb models at around £60

10. remdale

Reputations:
    I don't remember well, but in order to make it working somebody decreased FSB frequency to 800 and then had only 2 cores working. Sorry, I don't have any link, should dig the forum.
    I tried to get QX9300 to work as well, but I didn't know that the power adapter was not working well, so I failed.
    I don't trust anything but WD. I can disable parking of heads whenever I want, thus decreasing the wearout time of the drive. It cannot be done with any other drive. One more thing to mention is the more platters the drive has, the less sensitive to data losses when moving it is. Because the density of data storage is less.