*HP HDX 9000 DRAGON Owners Lounge, Part 2*

Discussion in 'HP' started by 2.0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was really surprised to have found it all of a sudden.
    MobileArtist, it seems like nobody can answer my question about LVDS pin swap for FX3700M. Why was it needed? Can anybody prove/explain it to me?

2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Possibly there is some hidden graphics code/options similar what you found on the CPU side which impacts all of our efforts with the MXM upgrades. Possibly the pin swap is an accidentaland inadvertent workaround. As I mentioned before, the highly talented ThinkPad modder, Leo Kim, was able to alter the VBIOS to get the 3700M to output 8 bits. Unfortunately, I found it impossible to contact him, but his work is suggestive.

On the other hand, 2.0 is a very astute technician, and I believe that he found some important disparity with regards to the pins. Hopefully he will respond to you soon.

But it's impressive that you have been able to dive so deep as you've done

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:

Hate to be that guy, but I'll be anyways - 8740w requires the USB board and the power panel to be attached in order to boot. Don't know how the later sounds for you, but the first comes with a 1cm height penalty. Just something to have in mind. Maybe 8770w would be a better option? Don't get me wrong - 8740w is awesome as a whole machine, but there are better MoBos out there. In any case I'll help as much as I can.

I thought it was. As you can see it was quite a while ago, so I can't recall exactly, but a standard 280m required rewiring and new display to output properly. Sorry, forgot who's done this great mod.

It was the best I had on hands and the MXM connector between I, II and III is the same, while IV and HE add an extra power source, so the I/O remains the same. That's on standard MXM of course.

Anyway. Happy modding. Hope that someone can finally make the Dragon fly!

Dominick_7 likes this.
  4. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the interest of updating the BIOS on my laptop, I downloaded the BIOS file (dualIDA) linked on the first page that also includes the flash utility. The .txt file states that it's intended for Dragons with revision 93xx, however mine is revision 9050EO. I won't flash the BIOS without first confirming if it's compatible and appreciate if someone can verify it's fine. If not, where can I find a list of compatible BIOS files? I can't seem to find anything on HP's site.

Another related question is can I OC the T7300 CPU on my laptop with the factory BIOS using software, or do I need a modified BIOS?

5. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Triturbo:

Your input and suggestions are invaluable here, and my suggesting the 8740W was a point of departure based on its upgrade potential, size, and proximity in time to our Dragon. I'm not married to the 8740W by any means. On the other hand, I'm not yet resigned to a divorce.

Thanks for your help!

triturbo likes this.
  6. remdale

remdale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    triturbo, sad to have you off the boat.
    Yes, the I/O pins are the same, but their location on the connector is different in the case of 8530W compared to the Dragon. That's why I asked. The unused HDMI Dragon's pins that you highlighted, are used for an external (docking station) HDMI/DVI connector in other laptops. Since the Dragon's docking station doesn't have any of them, they are not wired.
    I've just reanalyzed 8730W schematics, its FX3700M should be outputting 8-bit signal by design as all LVDS channels are wired.
    Speaking of GTX280M, I've also analyzed Clevo D900C's schematics and found out that the MXM interface is designed to output 6-bit signal only, unfortunately. But I don't know if outputting 8-bit or 6-bit signal is up to vBIOS, though.
    In addition to that, if we install GTX280M, component video (Y, Pb, Pr) connectors on the docking station may not be outputting anything as they are not wired in Clevo D900C.
    I'm not sure if it matters either. As far as I remember, 9200+ are Nvidia boards. 9000+ are ATI. But the archive file contains both ATI and Nvidia versions, so I guess it's safe to flash the ATI version. Please, correct me anybody, if I'm wrong.
    You can try SetFSB (couldn't launch SetFSB v2.3.173, though) or SetPLL (Never used before, though). But as far as I remember, you will have to desolder the TME pin of the clocker for the software to work.
    Could you please post a link to his post about that?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Dominick_7 likes this.
  7. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    It was one and a half to two years ago when I read it, and it was substantive enough for me to spend weeks trying to contact him.

So the short answer is, I haven't been able to find it as I was looking for it this morning.

8. MobileArtist

Reputations:
    Leo Kim posts on the Chinese computer website, 51nb, as well as on the Korean ThinkPad forum. He's a reclusive, elusive fellow, and is credited as being somewhat of a genius in modding.

triturbo likes this.
  9. 2.0

2.0 NBR Macro-Mod®

Reputations:
    Alright, so looking deeper into the motherboard swap idea (8740w, 8770w) and I've come to the conclusion that it's just not feasible. Port location remapping, battery connector relocation (which is soldered to every board), internal clearance for fans, internal height clearance, access to swappable things like mSATA, SATA, keyboard compatibility, no IR, LVDS connector, backlight compatibility, etc. etc.

It can't be done without some serious compromises. It's a considerable amount of work that would end up with it being a Frankenputer in the end.

10. Apollo-HDX

Apollo-HDX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Basically what I surmised. If there's another motherboard that might be better suited for such a project, perhaps look elsewhere and forgo any familial continuity in the interest of success. Like you say, at what point is all that effort justifiable if in the end all one is left with is a partially functioning, moderately faster computer with an upgrade path that still leaves it deep within the realm of obsolescence compared to the latest hardware? Just to maintain the 20" laptop clamshell 'form-factor'?? Surely, there's got to be a better way to have a portable or semi-portable ~20" computer?

Several years back, HP released the Envy Rove 20, which was a 20" tablet Windows 8 based computer that had a built-in stand for upright use. Something like the Rove 20 but with a narrower bezel to reduce size and a protector for the screen in the vein of portable Asus ZenScreens would be good enough for me.

Heck, I'd be more than happy if could simply replace my T7300 with the X9000 I have lying around if it weren't such a pain to disassemble this laptop. A mild OC to just over 3GHz and then I'm done.

Dominick_7 likes this.